What's new

How did Exum look last night?

giphy.gif

My personal hope is that Rubio is willing to take a bench role in the future.. Dante/Donovan/Exum all play together right now anyway, and that lineup seems to do pretty well.
Are you trying to tell us that Dante plays with himself? What's your source on this?

With an offensive rating of 127 and a PER of 23.9. Both of which are the best on our team. Although just barely, Gobert is at 124 offensive rating and 20.9 PER.

Exum's PER would be 9th in the NBA if he qualified. Exum's Offensive rating would be #2 in the league.

Those are according to basketball reference. NBA.com are different. Here are the Jazz advanced stats on NBA.com. Exum is leading in just about everything (besides the 1/2 minute of play from Naz)
http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612762

NBA.com advanced defensive stats show great things as well.

Those numbers are probably not sustainable but I think it shows how good he has looked in his limited numbers so far.

Since you're using OR and PER as two stats to show the value of a player, it should be noted that Ben Simmons' Offensive Rating of 109.1 is better than Donovan Mitchell's of 106.6. His PER of 19.79 is also better than Mitchell's 16.49.

With an offensive rating of 127 and a PER of 23.9. Both of which are the best on our team. Although just barely, Gobert is at 124 offensive rating and 20.9 PER.

Exum's PER would be 9th in the NBA if he qualified. Exum's Offensive rating would be #2 in the league.

I love it when we point to historically worst PER ever after Exum's first season some people quickly dismiss it as "PER is useless stat". Yet here we see PER used after few games to tell that Exum is great? There is no question kid looks much better - but the sample is very limited. How about we let him have at least 30-40 games and then talk how good or bad he is.

Since you're using OR and PER as two stats to show the value of a player, it should be noted that Ben Simmons' Offensive Rating of 109.1 is better than Donovan Mitchell's of 106.6. His PER of 19.79 is also better than Mitchell's 16.49.

Yes, he certainly is better at some stats.

I love it when we point to historically worst PER ever after Exum's first season some people quickly dismiss it as "PER is useless stat". Yet here we see PER used after few games to tell that Exum is great? There is no question kid looks much better - but the sample is very limited. How about we let him have at least 30-40 games and then talk how good or bad he is.

I find stats to be very useful. They are just not the entire story always and circumstances are always different.

In this case I am using that stat for people like you. Who say he was the worst in the nba based on that stat, so obviously now he must be the best on the Jazz by your standard. At least in these games so far.

I find stats to be very useful. They are just not the entire story always and circumstances are always different.

In this case I am using that stat for people like you. Who say he was the worst in the nba based on that stat, so obviously now he must be the best on the Jazz by your standard. At least in these games so far.

Rofl. Way to change your narrative.

Rofl. Way to change your narrative.

Never has that changed. Please note where I have said one stat is the most meaningful.

Just like in this case, you showed some stats that are positive for Exum and I showed some more stats that were positive for him. I even said I didnt think they were sustainable but showed he is playing pretty well. But I also have thought he has played well before but just inconsistent for a variety of reasons.

Do you think he is not playing well?

Is your best argument for everything ROFL? It is one of your better points.

Rubio only has 1 year left. He's having a career year this year and maybe he does the same again next season and then "Hill's" the Jazz. Then DL could say "see ya later" because Dante is ready to be the starter.

Really doesnt matter who starts. All three could get 30 mins in a 3-man rotation. Or you keep them slightly under to create some PT for Royce.

I do think the Jazz need to find a shooter at the 4, though.
Jerebko, And Crowder are shooters at the 4.

He needs more minutes... not sure where they come from but I need more Dante.
I think they can come from a few places. Some from O'neal, some from Rubio and some from Donovan and Ingles. I love Donovan and Ingles but they don't need more than 32-35 minutes per night and lately they have been getting more than that.

Since X's Return he's been averaging 14.7 minutes which is a little skewed because he had 27 when Rubio Missed a game.
Ingles has averaged 34.2.
Mitchell has averaged 37.4
Rubio has averaged 32.8

All of those numbers are a little skewed because of 3 blowouts in that time in which the 3 starters got far less minutes than they otherwise do like 5 minutes less in each blowout. Also there was an overtime game in which they all played 5 extra minutes, but that does not correct for the 3 blowouts.

So X could and should get a couple minutes from each of them and then should also be getting more of Royce's minutes and Burks should never play. That would get Exum to 20 MPG minimum and he deserves at least that. Honestly he should probably be getting more than that the way he has played lately but I don't know where those would come from unless they started coming from Crowder and Jerebko which they probably should, if he keeps playing like he currently is.

Honestly what he's doing looks sustainable to me. Maybe not the impact he's having, but the way he's playing does seem sustainable.

Who say he was the worst in the nba based on that stat, so obviously now he must be the best on the Jazz by your standard. At least in these games so far.

True. But we comparing whole season with few games. Andrea Bargnani had 13 game stretch in his career where he was posting insane numbers like 30pts/10 reb per game, and 60% FG and 50% 3 pt shooting. Where is he now BTW?

I don't think we need 40 games to see what is obvious already. He's stronger, more confident, more mature, and definitely better.

True. But we comparing whole season with few games. Andrea Bargnani had 13 game stretch in his career where he was posting insane numbers like 30pts/10 reb per game, and 60% FG and 50% 3 pt shooting. Where is he now BTW?

Thats why stats dont tell the whole story. There are a lot of things to players beyond stats. also one stat isnt the whole story by itself. Exum isnt the best player in the NBA right now, nor was he the worst player ever in his rookie year like his PER might indicate.

But right now I think its pretty easy to see that Exum is playing really well. making a huge difference on the court and pretty much every stat backs that up.

Do you think he is playing poorly right now?

Who is this "we"? You're the one (and the only one) who made a song and dance about his low PER, now it's swung the other way you're the one finding ways to dismiss it.

Never has that changed. Please note where I have said one stat is the most meaningful.

Just like in this case, you showed some stats that are positive for Exum and I showed some more stats that were positive for him. I even said I didnt think they were sustainable but showed he is playing pretty well. But I also have thought he has played well before but just inconsistent for a variety of reasons.

Do you think he is not playing well?

Is your best argument for everything ROFL? It is one of your better points.

Yes, I rofl at ridiculous statements. Here's the bottom line for you. The stats that favor Mitchell are those which you support. Those which favor Simmons (most stats fwiw) don't mean ****. Whatevs. I shouldn't have even opened my mouth again. It's an act in futility.