What's new

If Boozer isn't worth $80 mil, who is?

It's kind of hard to get further though when you are losing a 20 and 10 guy - and still being over the CAP, so cannot sign marquee players. Eventually trading him for a great player at different position could have been a step forward though. Just losing a guy like that for nothing in return is a step back.

This is absolutely a step back. No question. But In 2 years both AK and Memo's contracts come off the books. That leaves Deron to see what we can get on the market and were the young guys are in there development and Millsap being the top money maker under contract at around $8 million.
Or We sign Boozer and ride out those 2 contracts and we have an older Boozer And if Deron Re ups for the Max were are right there at the Cap still and can't make any kind of moves to make the team better without being in the lux tax. Or in other words right were we are now.

The Jazz are taking a huge risk by trying to build a team in the next 2 years that Deron is going to feel has a good future. And your right we might loose him because of that. But we might loose him if we never can get better because we have all that money tied up in an aging PF that has a proven track record with the team already. And that track record is less than great. Some time you have to go backwards to go the other way.

Do you remember anyone in the history of NBA coming out of their rookie deal accepting QO over 90 mil? I honestly don't. I recall Olowokandi doing that, but that's because he was not a very good player and did not get great offers. Derron's offer was 5 years - for MAX. Sure, there was a small risk involved, but again, when you hold all the cards, you should be able to come out on top. I just don't see Deron being pissed off for long after getting 90 mil richer. I see him being pissed off and leaving in 2 years though when we give away 20 and 10 guys for nothing.

That was just a what if. I already agreed that the Jazz could have done better. But at the same time I have a hard time faulting the FO for this completely. This was in a way Deron's choice and they gave him what he wanted.

I am sticking to reality. The only reason he is only getting $80 mil is because of the injuries and defense. All you guys saying "I would only pay him that if he was a perfect player" are off your rockers. If he was that perfect player, he would be getting the $120 mil Joe Johnson got (or more).

So Joe Johnson is the perfect player?

Wow, this is just not fair. LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Beasley. How the hell did Miami get enough under the CAP to get 3 MAX players?

They only have 2 guys under contract at the moment. Beasley and Chalmers. Both rookie scale deals. They traded there only other contract in Cook and made sure that everyone's contract expired before Wades.

Bow down to Pat Riely

This is absolutely a step back. No question. But In 2 years both AK and Memo's contracts come off the books. That leaves Deron to see what we can get on the market and were the young guys are in there development and Millsap being the top money maker under contract at around $8 million.
Or We sign Boozer and ride out those 2 contracts and we have an older Boozer And if Deron Re ups for the Max were are right there at the Cap still and can't make any kind of moves to make the team better without being in the lux tax. Or in other words right were we are now.

The Jazz are taking a huge risk by trying to build a team in the next 2 years that Deron is going to feel has a good future. And your right we might loose him because of that. But we might loose him if we never can get better because we have all that money tied up in an aging PF that has a proven track record with the team already. And that track record is less than great. Some time you have to go backwards to go the other way.

Do you remember when we did have CAP room last time? Best we could do after trying for 2 years was Booz. And we got extremely fortunate to get him. If Cleveland did not make a huge blunder, but instead did a sensible thing that everyone expected they would do, our best FA signing would be Okur - a role player. You think 2 years from now we will be able in 1 shot to get someone better than Booz - when we really needed a miracle and 2 years to get Booz in the first place? I don't think so. I am afraid Boozer's loss and inability to keep Deron for more than 3 years after rookie deal may cost us dearly a couple of years from now - with Deron walking, just like Bosh did from Toronto.

Do you remember when we did have CAP room last time? Best we could do after trying for 2 years was Booz. And we got extremely fortunate to get him. If Cleveland did not make a huge blunder, but instead did a sensible thing that everyone expected they would do, our best FA signing would be Okur - a role player. You think 2 years from now we will be able in 1 shot to get someone better than Booz - when we really needed a miracle and 2 years to get Booz in the first place? I don't think so. I am afraid Boozer's loss and inability to keep Deron for more than 3 years after rookie deal may cost us dearly a couple of years from now - with Deron walking, just like Bosh did from Toronto.

So Joe Johnson is the perfect player?
No, not even close. And that is my point- he still makes a heck of a lot more than Boozer. So if you don;t think Boozer is worth $80 mil, then perhaps you don;t have a handle on the economics of the NBA.

If Boozer played good defense and didn't have an injury history, he'd be getting a heck of a lot more than $80 mil. He'd be more sought after than Amare and Bosh. And he'd certainly be worth more than Joe Johnson, lol.

Who are the Heat going to fill out their roster with?

Who cares. They well get all kinds of vets looking to win a ring to sign on the cheep there. Thats what having 3 all world players does for you. (see Celtics 3 years ago)

Who are the Heat going to fill out their roster with?

I am sure there will be numerous veterans ready to sign bargain deals - like they did when Boston got KG and Allen. With 3 out of the top 5 players in NBA on their roster plus Beasley to boot, it will be too much to handle for anyone for years to come. I hope this rumor is not true. I want to see the League being competitive. It's like having 2 Michael Jordans and 2 Scottie Pippens on the same team playing 4 different positions. Amazing.

I am sure there will be numerous veterans ready to sign bargain deals - like they did when Boston got KG and Allen. With 3 out of the top 5 players in NBA on their roster plus Beasley to boot, it will be too much to handle for anyone for years to come. I hope this rumor is not true. I want to see the League being competitive. It's like having 2 Michael Jordans and 2 Scottie Pippens on the same team playing 4 different positions. Amazing.
Not only do they have 3 of the top 5 players in the league (if this is true) but unlike the Celtics, they are all still young. Not only that, but they are in one of the best cities in the whole NBA.

Miami will have no trouble getting players on the cheap.

Agh..... I just had a long reply to this and erased it on accident because Im tired. So the long and short is I think we agree Borat that Boozer is worth that much money. were we disagree is the way the Jazz decided to go. Right now with a new CBA coming and all the major contract they have coming to a close at that time or the next there they are taking a chance that they well be able to keep Deron happy. We all complain that the Jazz FO never takes any chances. Well they are taking one heck of a chance here.

Again, if I ask for a list of players worth the mid level, are you going to list Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Dwight Howard, and Chris Bosh?

Yeah, any team would be happy to get any of them for the mid level but it isn't happening. And no team is getting any of them for $80 mil either. They are all max players. That is what they are worth.

So, again, what players are worth $80 mil if Boozer isn't?

No one here can answer your question.

The truth is, the Jazz are too financially strapped because of AK47's contract. If that didn't exist, guaranteed we would have resigned Boozer.

Needless to say, my expectations for next year aren't too high. I'll be surprised if we don't make the playoffs, since Jerry is a great coach and PHX and Denver are headed to the dumper. But I'm not really expecting much in terms of playoff wins.

There isn't another player out there worth $80 million without serious defects. Some people have mentioned Rondo... The dude shoots worse than Shaq from the line and has the shooting range of Ronnie Brewer. He's a hell of a player, but has glaring defects.

Boozer and Amare are fine players, both however, have glaring defects.

Jazz fans in general, believe that a player like Karl Malone (never misses games and plays both ends of the court) is a player worth $80 million. Sadly, that type of player doesn't exist in the NBA right now. And if he did, he'd be demanding the max from a big market. No way he'd consider Utah. Jazz fans need to realize that loyal hardworking players like Malone don't come around too often. Just look at Lebron. He's from Cleveland and they're struggling to hold onto him.

The truth of the matter is that most of us would probably rather can the next year or so rebuilding than stay at a mediocre level for the next few years risking $80 million on a player that has a history of injury problems.

Perhaps the Jazz did make a mistake in not resigning Boozer... And not unloading AK... Or resigning Boozer, biting the LT again, and letting AK walk this next year... Only time will tell!

Agh..... I just had a long reply to this and erased it on accident because Im tired. So the long and short is I think we agree Borat that Boozer is worth that much money. were we disagree is the way the Jazz decided to go. Right now with a new CBA coming and all the major contract they have coming to a close at that time or the next there they are taking a chance that they well be able to keep Deron happy. We all complain that the Jazz FO never takes any chances. Well they are taking one heck of a chance here.

This is not taking a chance. Investing 80 mil on Booz would have been taking a chance. This is just putting money as the #1 priority and doing the safe thing. If Deron leaves, they will hunt for other FAs, like they did before Deron arrived. You are underestimating the Jazz FO's genius when it comes
to making sure their bottomline is secure. Championship is'nt even a priority here.
And they know that with a coach lke Sloan they will be able to squeze enough wins out of even a medicore team, to sustain the interest of the fanbase. So not much of a risk at all. Much like the 2003-2004 season, when the fans really enjoyed it.

No one here can answer your question.

The truth is, the Jazz are too financially strapped because of AK47's contract. If that didn't exist, guaranteed we would have resigned Boozer.

Needless to say, my expectations for next year aren't too high. I'll be surprised if we don't make the playoffs, since Jerry is a great coach and PHX and Denver are headed to the dumper. But I'm not really expecting much in terms of playoff wins.

There isn't another player out there worth $80 million without serious defects. Some people have mentioned Rondo... The dude shoots worse than Shaq from the line and has the shooting range of Ronnie Brewer. He's a hell of a player, but has glaring defects.

Boozer and Amare are fine players, both however, have glaring defects.

Jazz fans in general, believe that a player like Karl Malone (never misses games and plays both ends of the court) is a player worth $80 million. Sadly, that type of player doesn't exist in the NBA right now. And if he did, he'd be demanding the max from a big market. No way he'd consider Utah. Jazz fans need to realize that loyal hardworking players like Malone don't come around too often. Just look at Lebron. He's from Cleveland and they're struggling to hold onto him.

The truth of the matter is that most of us would probably rather can the next year or so rebuilding than stay at a mediocre level for the next few years risking $80 million on a player that has a history of injury problems.

Perhaps the Jazz did make a mistake in not resigning Boozer... And not unloading AK... Or resigning Boozer, biting the LT again, and letting AK walk this next year... Only time will tell!

Good post.

Yeah the Jazz FO figure that they can get their usual first or second round playoff exit this season with a much less expensive roster, as long as Deron and Sloan are around. So why pay Booz? Championship can wait. We'll just watch other teams like Lakers or Heat or Celtics worry about championships for the next 2 years. In the meantime, we'll save us some dough, have a team which just about gets to the playoffs and we'll deal with Deron later.

No, Jazz decided NOT to take chance here. And a lot of it has to do with AK. For one, because we pay so much to him, we can't afford Booz now. And also, when we gave AK that big deal, that was a chance FO took and it blew up in their face. So, now, even when it seems reasonable to take a chance, they are afraid to do so. I just have hard time seeing getting a player of Booz quality now. We really got lucky with Boozer to begin with. Now we are probably going to give our mid level to Brewer and that's about it.

I just have hard time seeing getting a player of Booz quality now...
You aren't the only one. I'm still waiting for even 1 name of a player that we should/could/might/hope to get for $80 mil. And that is assuming the Jazz actually spend 100% of the $80 mil they saved today. If they don't spend all of it, the pickings get even slimmer.

That was just a what if. I already agreed that the Jazz could have done better. But at the same time I have a hard time faulting the FO for this completely. This was in a way Deron's choice and they gave him what he wanted.

Check this out: https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq5b8dPTaVic6I4Mwa_F3TG8vLYF?slug=ys-durantthunder

Of course Durant also would want a player option after 4th year, who wouldn't (even his agent seems to elude to that in the article)? And Durant is a player of even bigger statue than Deron was at the same stage of their careers. Yet, he had to settle for full 5 years if he wanted a MAX, and is ecstatic about it. OKC held all the cards and they capitalized on it. It's really not that hard when you completely control the situation.

You aren't the only one. I'm still waiting for even 1 name of a player that we should/could/might/hope to get for $80 mil. And that is assuming the Jazz actually spend 100% of the $80 mil they saved today. If they don't spend all of it, the pickings get even slimmer.

They aren't going to spend all of it. We are back to under the tax days, no CAP room, and early-mid teen picks. Millsap is the only hope to turn into star, and that hope is slim. At 6-7 I just don't know if he can be a 20 -10 for us Booz was. Let's hope he will be. There is no other hope.

Not only do they have 3 of the top 5 players in the league (if this is true) but unlike the Celtics, they are all still young. Not only that, but they are in one of the best cities in the whole NBA.

Miami will have no trouble getting players on the cheap.

Looks like it is true: https://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_...le_reports_lebron_plans_to_choose_miami_heat/

Oh well, it's not like we were going to compete for championship in the next 5 years. What sucks though is that competition is going to be absent from NBA now. How can anyone match up against these 3 guys plus Beasley? And soon they will be able to get even better veterans with midlevel and bi annual exceptions. This type of thing should not be allowed. This is not baseball. They have to make hard CAP in NBA like they have in NFL. With hard CAP, you can't keep 3 guys like that for more than a year or 2 - after that annual raises will push you over the CAP. In NBA, as long as you have 1 year under the CAP, their salaries can grow exponentially and you don't need to worry about CAP at all. In fact, you can even add more salary via numerous exceptions. I might have to support Lakers now for the first time ever if they make it to finals against Heat.