What's new

I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to say this anyway (about IT Band Syndrome)...

Ever since we got our true center in Rudy, I've been advocating for Favors to lose some weight. And every year he comes as big as ever(I wouldn't say fat, but he's damn big)... you cannot convince me this weight is not impacting his body in a long season.

Dude, I've thought the same thing. I asked David Locke this in a mailbag question and he never answered. Favors is still a freak athlete despite being built like Boogie Cousins now, just imagine how he would be if he cut some weight. Even if he lost weight he'd be bigger and stronger than like 90% of power forwards anyway. He's definitely husky IMO... Maybe they think being able to overpower smaller 4s in the post is more important or something?

Dude, I've thought the same thing. I asked David Locke this in a mailbag question and he never answered. Favors is still a freak athlete despite being built like Boogie Cousins now, just imagine how he would be if he cut some weight. Even if he lost weight he'd be bigger and stronger than like 90% of power forwards anyway. He's definitely husky IMO... Maybe they think being able to overpower smaller 4s in the post is more important or something?

My problem is not with his athleticism... He's still a freak athletically. My problem is with his health. Big bodies don't stay healthy in the league.

Your opinion stated as a fact and blaming people, with no support or evidence. You are welcome to make those statements. I am calling you out for making a post and making a statement that has 0 backing and has no evidence to blame the people you did because of the information you have.

Jazz lost against the Clippers because they were abducted by aliens and not allowed to sleep the night before. Their memories have been wiped. They were targeted because Obama the aliens to because he does not like the Jazz. Obama is the reason the Jazz are losing, I blame him. When Clinton is president it will be worse since she reads this board and hates what NAOS posts, she spied on him and doesnt like that he wipes his *** back to front. NAOS is to blame for the Jazz losing in the future.

There I contributed to this thread with equally useful information.

You have a hard time keeping things in perspective.

I did enough research to make a statement with respect to the probables. Nobody -- not even Derrick or the training staff -- has a 100% accurate read on the cause of this injury. You should know enough about your field to know that. You should also know enough to calculate the probabilities.

I'm laying this on Derrick, his offseason staff, and the jazz medical team. I'm probably right.

Eat it

I wonder if him having twins this off-season contributed to it. I'm guessing twin babies interupt your sleep schedule often. That combined with what was reported to be an all-time high in intensity and focus on his off-season training, maybe have resulted in overuse of the tendon.

I thought his twins were born last off-season. I swear I've seen pictures of them walking. Not that 1-year-old twins are easy.

My problem is not with his athleticism... He's still a freak athletically. My problem is with his health. Big bodies don't stay healthy in the league.

I don't see favors as an athletic freak. He is big and strong but kind of lumbering and a bit slow, although he does show flashes of quick footwork. Compared to griffin who is an actual freak of nature favors is a step below.

Bigs in general seem to have a problem staying on the court. Look at Cousins, Griffin, A. Davis, Embiid, Okafor, Noel, Love, Whiteside, Turner, M. Gasol, Howard, etc. They've all missed chunks of time due to injury. 65 to 70 games seems to be average for quality bigs, and many of them have had relatively major injuries. Less weight seems to help this from what Locke has said.

You have a hard time keeping things in perspective.

I did enough research to make a statement with respect to the probables. Nobody -- not even Derrick or the training staff -- has a 100% accurate read on the cause of this injury. You should know enough about your field to know that. You should also know enough to calculate the probabilities.

I'm laying this on Derrick, his offseason staff, and the jazz medical team. I'm probably right.

Eat it

I am a physician and have a fair amount of experience with IT band syndrome. As others have said, it is caused by overuse/overtraining and not by neglecting your legs or not training as was implied by the OP. I'm sure they have him on a good stretching regimen now.

This whole thread is stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I am a physician and have a fair amount of experience with IT band syndrome. As others have said, it is caused by overuse/overtraining and not by neglecting your legs or not training as was implied by the OP. I'm sure they have him on a good stretching regimen now.

I am a reader and have lots and lots of experience reading things that have been written. In any part whatsoever the OP implies that Favors's injury is the result of lack of training or "leg neglect," whatever that means in physician terminology.

I don't see favors as an athletic freak. He is big and strong but kind of lumbering and a bit slow, although he does show flashes of quick footwork. Compared to griffin who is an actual freak of nature favors is a step below.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14924135/a-guide-most-watchable-players-nba

6. Derrick Favors, fast and balanced

The sports-science experts at P3 in Santa Barbara have told me Favors is the most explosive NBA big man they've ever tested -- a rare mix of speed, size and force. As Favors' masters the nuances of NBA defense, he can do even more with that raw ability. There aren't many behemoths who can shut down a drive on the pick-and-roll, recover out to a popping big man in time to snuff an open jumper, change directions on a dime and track that big man's foray to the basket:

Tyler Zeller isn't the quickest cat, but that combination of wheels and body control is impressive.

This thread is just making me really sad. I just want to see Favors be healthy for a season, and see him put it all together.
He is starting to play more and more aggressively which is nice. I just feel like maybe his body can't handle what hes doing.

Why can't Lebron have IT Band Syndrome? :-(

Bronc,

Isn't ITBS often a result of the quads being far stronger than the hammies? They're obviously stronger anyway (far stronger really) but my point is, isn't it sort of because the ratio of strength is just too far off?

I'm literally basing this off of memory from over 20 years ago so while this sounds right and familiar to me it could very well be wrong.

That's nice. When are we going to see it on the court? The eye test still puts griffin a full league beyond favors on the court. Remember when D Will beat CP3 in the skills challenge? Too bad they don't give championships for test results.

We see it, just some fans don't appreciate it and think everybody in the league can do what Favors does. Lowe had a video in that article to illustrate what he's saying. Seems like that video is now unavailable. Favors does this regularly. Just people don't see that and think "wow, what an athletic play", because it's not an explosive windmill dunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Once it's under control what are the odds of another flare-up? Thanks doc.

A-swing-and-a-miss..jpg

fixed

That's nice. When are we going to see it on the court? The eye test still puts griffin a full league beyond favors on the court. Remember when D Will beat CP3 in the skills challenge? Too bad they don't give championships for test results.
You ever seen Favors switch on the perimeter? You watch his PnR defense? There aren't very many bigs his size that can do that...I mean, maybe 5-10 guys. Maybe. That would be an example of seeing it on the court. Open your eyes.

You ever seen Favors switch on the perimeter? You watch his PnR defense? There aren't very many bigs his size that can do that...I mean, maybe 5-10 guys. Maybe. That would be an example of seeing it on the court. Open your eyes.

I never said he was UNathletic. But by no stretch is he a freak of nature. He does nothing I wouldn't expect from a reasonably athletic big. For sure above average. But absolutely NOT freakish. Not on the same plane as a Griffin or Malone.

I never said he was UNathletic. But by no stretch is he a freak of nature. He does nothing I wouldn't expect from a reasonably athletic big. For sure above average. But absolutely NOT freakish. Not on the same plane as a Griffin or Malone.

In some regards, yes, freakish.

He's not explosive vertically like Griffin, but Griffin doesn't move laterally like Favors either. You don't have to be the highest jumper to be a freak athlete. Like I said, when you consider his size and agility, it's pretty up there. If you think most reasonably athletic 260 pounders can do what he does on the defensive perimeter, then you simply don't watch very much basketball.