What's new

Is Derrick Favors the best player on this team?

I think you have to say yes. Hayward had a slight advantage as of last year, but Gordon has been so bad this year that lead is gone. Hopefully for you guys Hayward can push for team best player again. There's really no excuse for Gordon's play this far. So although he has a mostly positive track record it's not good enough to where you can't questioning his future with the team and this league. You expect consistent plus level basketball from a max level 6th year player.

Last edited:
Favors has certainly been our most consistent player this year. If that's a bellweather of quality then I think you'd have to say he's been the best this season.

Favors has certainly been our most consistent player this year. If that's a bellweather of quality then I think you'd have to say he's been the best this season.

Good post and I agree with it. Consistency is the attribute that most young teams miss and need in order to win.

I saw him abuse millsap. I remember him bullying millsap under the basket to make a nice lefty layup.... Posted him up for a fadeaway 10 footer...... Got an offensive rebound over him for a putback and one.... Blew by sap for a layup when sap closed out to the free throw line to stop the open jumper.... Got an offensive rebound over sap and passed out to reset the possession.
Those are just the ones I remember.
I figure there was probably at least one time that sap left favors open for one his mid range J's and I bet favors blocked sap at least once.

didnt sap score like 30 points? I would say Sap won the abuse battle.

didnt sap score like 30 points? I would say Sap won the abuse battle.
Not quite 30 but ya he did well offensively too.
I guess they abused each other

So we've agreed that Hayward isn't the most important player. But I still haven't seen any actual evidence that he's the best. Except for people saying that he is. And if we are talking offense AND defense, I don't even think it's very close.

Most Important:
Favors
Gobert
Hayward
Burke (imagine if he wasn't here.)
Burks

Best:
Favors
Hayward
Gobert
Burks
Hood
Did you watch the Jazz last year?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

People have yet to describe what they mean by "important" vs "best." I personally hate those type of discussions. I would say those words are synonyms in the context we're using here, and people act like they're very different without even an attempt at an explanation.

I remember Eric Spoelstra saying that Bosh was Miami's most important player when LeBron was there (lol).

People have yet to describe what they mean by "important" vs "best." I personally hate those type of discussions. I would say those words are synonyms in the context we're using here, and people act like they're very different without even an attempt at an explanation.

I remember Eric Spoelstra saying that Bosh was Miami's most important player when LeBron was there (lol).
Derrick Favors has the opportunity to set the tone offensively for the Jazz with his versatility of skills. Combine that with the roles he has on defense and he's the most important player currently on the Jazz.

The fact that he's starting to play to his potential offensively and is consistently playing well both ways AND evolving into a team leader makes him the best player for the Jazz.

It's simple really. You can be more important due to who is backing you up, even if you are not the best.

In other words let's just say that Hayward is the best player on the team. Even if that is the case, he is still not as important as Gobert or favors because without Hayward you still have Burks and hood. Without Gobert you have withey. Without favors you have Booker.

Right now, I'd say yes. He's been the leading scorer in 5 of our 10 games, and was sick for 3 of them.

Really, though, I feel like we'll have a different "best player" on the team every few weeks. I'm sure there will be stretches where Hayward is the best, where Burks is the best, where Gobert is the best, where Hood is the best.

We've got a good balance, here, and all of these guys are capable of going on a mean streak.

Right now, I'd say yes. He's been the leading scorer in 5 of our 10 games, and was sick for 3 of them.

Really, though, I feel like we'll have a different "best player" on the team every few weeks. I'm sure there will be stretches where Hayward is the best, where Burks is the best, where Gobert is the best, where Hood is the best.

We've got a good balance, here, and all of these guys are capable of going on a mean streak.

If we can just get them all going at once...

It's simple really. You can be more important due to who is backing you up, even if you are not the best.

In other words let's just say that Hayward is the best player on the team. Even if that is the case, he is still not as important as Gobert or favors because without Hayward you still have Burks and hood. Without Gobert you have withey. Without favors you have Booker.
See, this is an explanation. But it's placing the entire value of a player's "importance" based on who their back up is, instead of on the player in discussion. "Importance" of a player then becomes a critique of depth; it really has nothing to do with the actual player, which is pretty silly. It just goes back to my point that discussing who the most "important" player is isn't a worth while discussion. Let's talk about who the best player on the team is. Period. If people want to say the depth at a certain position sucks, then just say that. What's the point of these mental semantics?

Of course, this is just one attempt at defining "importance." I think most people really have no idea what they mean by it when they use it as some sort of opposition to the word "best."

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Derrick Favors has the opportunity to set the tone offensively for the Jazz with his versatility of skills. Combine that with the roles he has on defense and he's the most important player currently on the Jazz.

The fact that he's starting to play to his potential offensively and is consistently playing well both ways AND evolving into a team leader makes him the best player for the Jazz.
"Best" and "important" are completely interchangeable in these sentences.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hayward will be fine and Rudy will find his rhythm, but Derrick Favors is elevating his offensive game right before our eyes. Similar to Rudy's rise on defense last year, everyone will stop and notice before long.

By the end of the year, he's the guy that the offense will revolve around. His ability to move his shot out AND still play dominant in the post will be critical. He's abused Whiteside at C and Millsap at PF just in the past week. Crazy versatility. . . AND he's an elite defender.

PLUS, he's been acting like the veteran leader that this young team needs on and off the court. He's the real deal. SO excited!

His %'s are actually down from last season. Pretty much across the board. I still want him to get more touches.

Good post and I agree with it. Consistency is the attribute that most young teams miss and need in order to win.

He's had 3 monster games (26, 25, 23) and 3 horrible games (6,6,5) out of 10. How's that consistent?

He's had 3 monster games (26, 25, 23) and 3 horrible games (6,6,5) out of 10. How's that consistent?

Let's ignore the fact that he was repeatedly mentioned as suffering from the flu for two of those games. Why else would he get benched after 15 minutes of play? #franklin