What's new

Israel-Hamas War

“X employees said Thursday that they had gotten calls from advertisers wondering why Musk was making comments seen as antisemitic and why their ads were showing up next to white nationalist and Nazi content, according to internal messages that were viewed by The New York Times. IBM cut off about $1 million in advertising spending that it had committed to the platform for the last three months of the year, the messages said”.

Last edited:
All signs point to Israel resuming attacks soon. Primarily based on Biden's public statements pushing for extending the peace. Biden has been conducting diplomacy with Israel in private, pressing them to continue the peace. His public statements indicate that Israel has indicated they intend to resume fighting so Biden went public pleading for peace.

All signs point to Israel resuming attacks soon. Primarily based on Biden's public statements pushing for extending the peace. Biden has been conducting diplomacy with Israel in private, pressing them to continue the peace. His public statements indicate that Israel has indicated they intend to resume fighting so Biden went public pleading for peace.
Not gonna say I called it... because I didn't. I was just listening to people who know way more about this stuff than I do.

This just breaks my heart. After all the time homo sapiens have been in existence, I really hate that we have not yet found a better way to solve differences, and that those differences still matter.

This just breaks my heart. After all the time homo sapiens have been in existence, I really hate that we have not yet found a better way to solve differences, and that those differences still matter.

“How repetitive history sometimes seems when it comes to slaughter! The response to having 1,200 people in your country, including at least 29 children, brutally killed is to slaughter 5,000 or more children in the land where your enemy is hiding. Does that make any sense at all? And keep in mind that, when it comes to the ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza, that 5,000 is no more than a holding figure for what could, in the weeks to come, prove to be thousands more kids dead (and who knows how many more wounded ones), some slaughtered by bombs, missiles, and bullets, some undoubtedly succumbing to starvation and disease. We’re already talking about significantly more dead children than the total number of those killed in conflicts globally in 2022. U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres has all too accurately labeled Gaza “a graveyard for children.” (But given what’s happening, it will undoubtedly be a “graveyard” without tombstones or monuments.)

Tell me if that makes sense. What did any children ever do to deserve such a fate? Could this truly be, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claims, evidence of “the battle of civilization against barbarism”? Does such ongoing slaughter — including staggering numbers of air strikes against Gaza, the destruction of much of its housing and its hospitals, the displacement of nearly 1.7 million of its 2.3 million people, and the denial of the most basic human needs (food, fuel, and water) — add up to a reasonable response to the nightmare of Hamas’s October 7th attack? And honestly, has “the essential nation” on this planet, as President Biden likes to call the United States, done faintly what’s necessary to bring things under control (rather than rushing yet more weapons to Israel and two aircraft carrier task forces, troops, and planes to the region, creating the possibility of an even wider war of some sort to come)?

Given such a nightmare, doesn’t it make sense to think about other ways to face the violence that seems such an essential part of the human condition? In that context, let TomDispatchregular Rebecca Gordon explore the idea of a nonviolent response to our violent world”. Tom

Hearing this morning that the US is close to publicly, not just in private discussions, telling Israel you cannot continue to slaughter children and civilians in this fashion..

Behind the scenes: The U.S. officials said Biden's phone call with Netanyahu on Sunday was focused specifically on his concerns about an Israeli operation in the southern Gaza Strip.

• Biden told Netanyahu that the way Israel operated in northern Gaza, which included a wide assault and three armored and infantry divisions, can't be repeated in the southern part of the enclave because of the millions of Palestinians who are there now, the U.S. officials said.

I want to apologize for posting a screed from Tom Englehart, in reply to you, without so much as a sympathetic comment toward the pain you were feeling. That was ignorant of me, and I am sorry. I do feel your pain. It’s not easy being a human being in this world.

I want to apologize for posting a screed from Tom Englehart, in reply to you, without so much as a sympathetic comment toward the pain you were feeling. That was ignorant of me, and I am sorry. I do feel your pain. It’s not easy being a human being in this world.
Great post.
I'm worried about how I'm raising my daughter. The #1 thing I have taught her that she has really took to is kindness, empathy and caring. Anytime sometime falls down (recess, at the park, ice skating etc) she rushes to them to help them up and make sure they are ok. She sees a bug on the sidewalk and picks it up and places on the grass so it won't be stepped on. Doesn't matter what type of bug. She always tells random strangers she likes their hair or their smile or wherever.
One time we were eating lunch and there was a really ugly person in the restaurant. She asked me if she could go tell them something and I said yes. I could see her brain working to think of something nice to say and struggling. So she says to the person "I love your voice" (the person was talking on their phone earlier).

She is going to have a lot of heartbreak in this world and it hurts my heart to think about.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Great post.
I'm worried about how I'm raising my daughter. The #1 thing I have taught her that she has really took to is kindness, empathy and caring. Anytime sometime falls down (recess, at the park, ice skating etc) she rushes to them to help them up and make sure they are ok. She sees a bug on the sidewalk and picks it up and places on the grass so it won't be stepped on. Doesn't matter what type of bug. She always tells random strangers she likes their hair or their smile or wherever.
One time we were eating lunch and there was a really ugly person in the restaurant. She asked me if she could go tell them something and I said yes. I could see her brain working to think of something nice to say and struggling. So she says to the person "I love your voice" (the person was talking on their phone earlier).

She is going to have a lot of heartbreak in this world and it hurts my heart to think about.

You have one very special daughter. Sounds like she has a great dad too.

Great post.

She may have a little heartbreak along the way, but she will make the world a lot better for everyone in her path.

So I just got back from dropping her off at school. When I opened the garage door to leave this morning there was a worm in the driveway. She picked it up and went and put it in the flowerbed dirt so it wouldn't get hurt lol.

my point exactly
I’m not sure what your point was. This was not just a “daily threat”. It just seems some in Intelligence had the exact blueprint to something that one might think screams “this is not just another daily threat!!”, and blew it off. Arrogance, hubris, I don’t know. As to what they should have done, I can’t answer that either, of course, but the fact that some had the blueprint for exactly what was going to happen, seemed like that was worth noting since everyone wondered how Israeli intelligence could have missed it entirely, in the immediate aftermath, in the days following 10/7. So, can’t say they weren’t warned, and warned in explicit detail, complete with Hamas training videos of how it would play out.

I’m not sure what your point was. This was not just a “daily threat”. It just seems some in Intelligence had the exact blueprint to something that one might think screams “this is not just another daily threat!!”, and blew it off. Arrogance, hubris, I don’t know. As to what they should have done, I can’t answer that either, of course, but the fact that some had the blueprint for exactly what was going to happen, seemed like that was worth noting since everyone wondered how Israeli intelligence could have missed it entirely, in the immediate aftermath, in the days following 10/7. So, can’t say they weren’t warned, and warned in explicit detail, complete with Hamas training videos of how it would play out.
Maybe they viewed it as a good excuse to flatten Gaza and let it happen. Collateral damage.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

So I just got back from dropping her off at school. When I opened the garage door to leave this morning there was a worm in the driveway. She picked it up and went and put it in the flowerbed dirt so it wouldn't get hurt lol.
Odd thread to post it in but it sounds like you are doing a great job raising your kid. Kudos.