What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 8 - To Convey Or Not To Convey and Let’s Start A Discussion About Collin Sexton

He has two years left on his contract after this year season concludes.

If you want to capitalize on his play, this off-season is the time to trade him. That's an interesting Sexton discussion to be had.
You are invited to start your own podcast where you discuss all the dumb *** things you want to talk about. I'll bet the listenership isn't going to be there for you though. .

You are invited to start your own podcast where you discuss all the dumb *** things you want to talk about. I'll bet the listenership isn't going to be there for you though. .

Is the point of this thread to not discuss the topics presented in the podcasts? I don’t know why you always complain about other people having opinions. You don’t even complain that they’re wrong, but they’re wrong for posting it. This is a thread about a podcast on a basketball forum. People are going to talk about the podcast. Get over it.

It has to be solved by Sexton's next contract imo. I think if you want max value on a Sexton trade you want to do it at or before next year's deadline

Could be true. I don’t think it’s easy to liquidate Sexton’s value into another player or picks. This is especially true on a larger contract. Might not be a ton of buyers. I don’t think, for example, the Knicks would be able to trade Randle easily even though he’s a multi all star, multi all NBA player. He’s playing great, but Sexton just isn’t a desired archetype.

I would listen to a Cy podcast. Hopefully it wouldn't just be about THT, but the things you quoted would actually be interesting topics.

Julius randle is another player who can only dream of being as efficient as sexton.
Randle has worse shooting percentages, less points on more shots, and more turnovers than sexton.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

When I was scrolling through OBPM to see the leaders, Sexton has the 2nd lowest DBPM among the top offensive players, right next to Trae Young.

It's not.

It is bad and disingenuous... and here is why. You throw in an unnecessary qualifier. When looking at the best offensive players you state Sexton has the 2nd lowest DBPM and its right next to Trae. It makes it sound as if these guys are the worst defenders in the league because of an unrelated unnecessary qualifier. If you simply wanted to present some facts you could say Sexton has a -1.5 DBPM and Trae has a -2.3. If you were just "scrolling through" and looking at DBPM you'd also quickly note that Lauri is also a -1.5... I mean since you had picked a way to sort something in a dumbass manner I think you'd also see that Lauri #11 in OBPM was also exactly the same as Sexton #23 in OBPM.

If you really actually wanted to present some real facts you might have sorted the DBPM by clicking your mouse and "scroll through" the actual thing you wanted to present. You might also note that Key is a -2.4 and Jordan is a -3.1 (very last in the league). You might also note that the difference between Sexton and say Steph, Dame, and Maxey is fairly negligible.. they are all -1.2.

Its almost like you wanted to paint a sliver of the story for some reason... wonder why.

Whether you agree or disagree with the FO…it is hard to ignore that the FO/coaching staff doesn’t seem to be super high on him. Like you said all the signs were there. They believed in THT more than Sexton to start the year. They rolled out the red carpet to let Keyonte start near the beginning of the season. Clarkson can basically do no wrong and will almost always get the minutes over Sexton. Even when the Jazz were on that streak and Sexton was trying people, his minutes weren’t super high. I mean….this podcast was talking about why he should play more minutes. That’s a clear sign that the Jazz are relatively low on him.

Like I said, anyone can have their own opinion on Sexton, hard to ignore that internally the Jazz are cooler on him than the fan base. OTOH, they are sky high on Key and giving him every opportunity. Sexton and Key are not a long term fit. I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem that has to be solved now…but it’s pretty clear who the FO is leaning towards if/when a decision has to be made.
Not disagreeing with most of this... just want it stated I am comfortable disagreeing with the org and staff at this point. Had enough instances where my uninformed opinion was more right than their professional opinion.

At the start of the year Collin wasn't good (none of the Jazz guards were) so I can see misdiagnosing things. Now I think Hardy is managing a few things... Key's development minutes, JC desire to finish games/play his normal minutes after "accepting" the bench role, and Sexton loses a few minutes but gets to start. I also don't think we are trying to maximize on court performance most nights anyway. It is still them prioritizing other things than Collin so still not a good sign. I think it is a mistake as he is proving it on and off the court. If they are so rigid in their thinking on what this needs to be and look like then I think we are in big trouble. Don't ignore the reality at the end of your nose.

Not disagreeing with most of this... just want it stated I am comfortable disagreeing with the org and staff at this point. Had enough instances where my uninformed opinion was more right than their professional opinion.

At the start of the year Collin wasn't good (none of the Jazz guards were) so I can see misdiagnosing things. Now I think Hardy is managing a few things... Key's development minutes, JC desire to finish games/play his normal minutes after "accepting" the bench role, and Sexton loses a few minutes but gets to start. I also don't think we are trying to maximize on court performance most nights anyway. It is still them prioritizing other things than Collin so still not a good sign. I think it is a mistake as he is proving it on and off the court. If they are so rigid in their thinking on what this needs to be and look like then I think we are in big trouble. Don't ignore the reality at the end of your nose.

That's fair, I think Sexton is good and has gotten quite a bit better. At the same time, I have a very hard time seeing Key and Sexton as a long term fit. You can go pretty far with two small guards who don't defend, but it feels nearly impossible to go all the way. I don't think it necessarily has to be solved yet. We really don't know how good Keyonte will be. But as Saint mentioned, time might be ticking if you want to make the decision to go with Key and trade Sexton.

Just based on actions from the FO/Hardy....I would not be surprised with a Sexton trade. But he is a difficult player to trade. I would caution getting ahead of ourselves though....We haven't even made the playoffs yet. I think Key and Sexton could take us to that 50 win zone where we're also capable of winning a playoff series. I think it's fine to shoot for that, and then readjust from there.

That's fair, I think Sexton is good and has gotten quite a bit better. At the same time, I have a very hard time seeing Key and Sexton as a long term fit. You can go pretty far with two small guards who don't defend, but it feels nearly impossible to go all the way. I don't think it necessarily has to be solved yet. We really don't know how good Keyonte will be. But as Saint mentioned, time might be ticking if you want to make the decision to go with Key and trade Sexton.

Just based on actions from the FO/Hardy....I would not be surprised with a Sexton trade. But he is a difficult player to trade. I would caution getting ahead of ourselves though....We haven't even made the playoffs yet. I think Key and Sexton could take us to that 50 win zone where we're also capable of winning a playoff series. I think it's fine to shoot for that, and then readjust from there.
This. I think you can move JC hopefully and add some variety to the backcourt that makes SexKey fine for now. No need to decide right now. In reality it will be like year 3 before we have a real good idea on Key and that is if things go well (no injuries etc).

I don't have a real read on Sexton's value but I would bet I value him more than what we'd get in a trade. Even if that value evaporated I think its worth it to at least try to win in the medium term with something around Lauri/Sexton/Kessler/Key/etc. We have a lot of assets accumulated and have not found ways to cash in on those just yet... which is why I think if they move Sexton for more future assets... lets go ahead and just move on from Lauri. There might be a half measure there where you move Sexton for assets that are routed immediately for a different kind of help... but that trade likely would be possible without moving Sexton since we have assets... so why not do it and keep him? Cashing in on Sexton for some asset value because it is the right "value play" would kind of be the final straw for me that we are just wandering with no plan. If that's what we are doing still I will feel more confident relying on straight lotto luck lol.

I haven't listened to this one yet. So this isn't about you. But I'm general if you can't argue both sides it shows a really strong bias, which with sports takes can be okay. But worse is I usually assume the person doesn't understand the situation/argument if they don't know both sides. I know both you guys are knowledgeable due to posts in here, so I generally don't think that of you guys, but that's how it comes off.
I agree. I’m not saying I can’t I just have to get in that mindset to do so if there is a valid argument on the other side. In the case of convey vs not I don’t think the other side has that good of arguments and I don’t have any reason to have a bias one way or the other.

It is bad and disingenuous... and here is why. You throw in an unnecessary qualifier. When looking at the best offensive players you state Sexton has the 2nd lowest DBPM and its right next to Trae. It makes it sound as if these guys are the worst defenders in the league because of an unrelated unnecessary qualifier. If you simply wanted to present some facts you could say Sexton has a -1.5 DBPM and Trae has a -2.3. If you were just "scrolling through" and looking at DBPM you'd also quickly note that Lauri is also a -1.5... I mean since you had picked a way to sort something in a dumbass manner I think you'd also see that Lauri #11 in OBPM was also exactly the same as Sexton #23 in OBPM.

If you really actually wanted to present some real facts you might have sorted the DBPM by clicking your mouse and "scroll through" the actual thing you wanted to present. You might also note that Key is a -2.4 and Jordan is a -3.1 (very last in the league). You might also note that the difference between Sexton and say Steph, Dame, and Maxey is fairly negligible.. they are all -1.2.

Its almost like you wanted to paint a sliver of the story for some reason... wonder why.
Ahh, so only when glazing you don't need to deep dive into a stat, just accept it at face value.

If it's critical it must be completely dissected.

Ahh, so only when glazing you don't need to deep dive into a stat, just accept it at face value.

If it's critical it must be completely dissected.
It was also just incorrect. At very least your casual scroll should have shown you Lauri was EXACTLY the same number lol. In the 3 minutes I researched all that stuff popped out immediately.

Also, I would probably lean towards keeping Sexton and making him the clear cut primary ball handler.

I just dont think that is what is happening and I don't agree with keeping him around to be a combo guard.

Also, I would probably lean towards keeping Sexton and making him the clear cut primary ball handler.

I just dont think that is what is happening and I don't agree with keeping him around to be a combo guard.
I would too and I’m not sure where it is headed at the moment.

It was also just incorrect. At very least your casual scroll should have shown you Lauri was EXACTLY the same number lol. In the 3 minutes I researched all that stuff popped out immediately.
So Lauri also being low makes Sexton not low? He's still 2nd lowest.

When you make the definitive Lauri discussion we can also talk about how Lauri is a mediocre defender. Difference is he is 7' tall

He's having amazing success as a combo. Maybe feed him more minutes and a couple more opportunities. If Key isn't progressing then you can make that move.

I also think the org may have made a mistake on a few things with these guards. Not moving on from JC is not ideal but also not sure why Key had to become a starter unless we were angling for pick positioning. Dunn/Sexton backcourt makes sense and Key can get a ton of reps as the bench guy until he fully earns it. Its just weird the last couple years when the org tries to make fetch happen.

So Lauri also being low makes Sexton not low? He's still 2nd lowest.

When you make the definitive Lauri discussion we can also talk about how Lauri is a mediocre defender. Difference is he is 7' tall
No but when you are calling out those two guys based on a measure I'd think you mention Lauri was right next to Trae too... since they are both on the same list. He's tied for second lowest... with another guy on our team lol.

He's having amazing success as a combo. Maybe feed him more minutes and a couple more opportunities. If Key isn't progressing then you can make that move.

I also think the org may have made a mistake on a few things with these guards. Not moving on from JC is not ideal but also not sure why Key had to become a starter unless we were angling for pick positioning. Dunn/Sexton backcourt makes sense and Key can get a ton of reps as the bench guy until he fully earns it. Its just weird the last couple years when the org tries to make fetch happen.
Because Hardy loves the way Key plays and sees the game. He called him an extension of himself as a coach. He does not feel that way about Sexton.