What's new

James Gunn

What are you referring to?
"Dumbass ****ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants"

I get what she's saying and it's a pretty good simile. She could have written it a lot less offensive and gotten the same point across.

"Dumbass ****ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants"

I get what she's saying and it's a pretty good simile. She could have written it a lot less offensive and gotten the same point across.
Yeah, as a very white guy, I'm not about to get my panties in a bunch over a member of a marginalized community taking shots at whitey, especially when those shots are obvious jokes. Punching up vs punching down is a thing.

He's a fairly prominent conservative writer. Was the editor for National Review but I think writes for New York magazine these days.

He’s a conservative who had a crisis of faith and became a big Obama supporter in 2008. He was never an editor for the National Review. As far as I know Sullivan has never opposed gay marriage, in fact, he wrote a book supporting it decades ago and almost 30 years ago wrote an essay in The New Republic (which he did edit for a few years) that helped start the gay marriage movement.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rea...t-the-gay-marriage-movement-in-america-2015-6

He’s a conservative who had a crisis of faith and became a big Obama supporter in 2008. He was never an editor for the National Review. As far as I know Sullivan has never opposed gay marriage, in fact, he wrote a book supporting it decades ago and almost 30 years ago wrote an essay in The New Republic (which he did edit for a few years) that helped start the gay marriage movement.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rea...t-the-gay-marriage-movement-in-america-2015-6
Derp, you're right. Im always mixing National Review and New Republic up in my head.

Yeah, as a very white guy, I'm not about to get my panties in a bunch over a member of a marginalized community taking shots at whitey, especially when those shots are obvious jokes. Punching up vs punching down is a thing.

I have a meme I wish I could post on here, but I won't.

If you're not upset by this, the more power to you, dude. As a white dude myself, I'm not going to lose sleep over her tweets. That said, I'm more bothered by the media and people like you who brush it off as if it's nothing. It's a leftist double standard - cognitive dissonance. The right has pissed me off just as much in this thread, but at least my logic is consistent.

It's funny that punching up vs punching down has been brought up a few times because you're implying she's powerless because she's Asian. She grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth. She graduated with a master's from an Ivy League school - Harvard. She was listed as one of Forbe's 30 under 30. She gets to keep her job after posting offensive and racists tweets even though her employer literally just fired a white, woman colleague of hers in February for the pretty much the same thing. Not only did they not fire her like Quinn, they publically defended her and said she was only trolling the trolls.

Maybe I don't get the punch up vs punching down thing but from what it says it is online, that's more than a stretch to say.

Last edited:

My bad. Remembered it wrong.

So if a black American works as a shift manager, leading a diverse set of employees, is prejudiced against white people, is that racism?

The short answer is no.

If you like, I could do a 500-word essay on from my limited knowledge of sociological reasons, or a 500-word essay from my personal experience in the matter, explaining the answer, but only if you really want to read it.

Why?

He’s not worth talking to on the subject. Nothing, and nobody will change his mind. I’m sure One Brow has good intentions, but it’s not a subject worth talking about with him.

I've had my mind changed on various aspects of the subject in a few different ways over the past 15 years. If you could bring something substantive, you could change my mind. However, so far all you have is cultural assumptions.

The short answer is no.

If you like, I could do a 500-word essay on from my limited knowledge of sociological reasons, or a 500-word essay from my personal experience in the matter, explaining the answer, but only if you really want to read it.

If you type it, I'll read it. But no pressure.

That's exactly the point. I wish I could be sure you understood why this statement is at the heart of the matter.

Maybe do some research on the concept?

So you think because of the color of my skin my opinion doesn't matter or I haven't done research on the issues at hand?

That's really ****ing simple minded.

Yeah, not going to engage in further dialogue with someone like you.

I don't read anything by Vox.

Your call.

If people want to say that pure racism, hatred, and dumb tweets are the fault of an entire race being drama queens then I think it says more about that person than the group.

What ever happened to treating people as individuals and judged by their actions?

Since you don't care enough about the topic to be informed, I don't see a need to treat this as anything more than a desire by you to continue to wallow in your ignorance and false assumptions on the issue.

So you think because of the color of my skin my opinion doesn't matter or I haven't done research on the issues at hand?

Nope. I do think your skin color has affected your experiences, and that you haven't done research because you ask questions that anyone who has done some basic research would know the answers to.

Yeah, not going to engage in further dialogue with someone like you.

You have not been engaging in dialogue with me. Dialogue requires that you actually be willing to consider modification of your opinions, and all you seem to be seeking is confirmation of your biases.

P
Your call.

Since you don't care enough about the topic to be informed, I don't see a need to treat this as anything more than a desire by you to continue to wallow in your ignorance and false assumptions on the issue.

I've read things that defend her and I think it's utter ********. If I read something I agreed with or was educating, I'd be more willing to accept it.
Please educate me of why what she said in 100s of tweets is alright with you, not racists, and how I'm ignorant.

*grab a popcorn*

If you type it, I'll read it. But no pressure.

It's been 40 years, so while I will do my best to say things accurately, I'm only human.

As soon as you asked the question, my mind went back to my first job at a place called The Red Barn, on Lindell Ave. in St. Louis. I was 15, and my family needed the money, so I did not feel like I could leave the job.

I did worked with a racially mixed crew, and on many evenings I was the only white employee. I recall one of my shift managers, in particular, that took a strong dislike to me. Work that was adequate for other employees wan't good enough (or so it seemed to me), and he wouldn't help me or offer advice like he did for the other employees.

However, he couldn't add on the weight of society with his actions. None of the names he could have called me (I don't think he did, this is just hypothetical) would have had any meaning to my being white. His boss was white, and it the treatment got too bad I could have gone the manager, and felt pretty confident I would be listened to.

The shift manager had no continuous participation with how society treated me, rather everything else in my life treated me like I was white. When I was walking home, I wasn't worried about the police stopping me because I fit the description of "white guy, medium height". Any of the few times I did interact with the police, they were respectful and polite, and I never felt threatened. At home, almost all the TV shows has white heroes. At the movies, I never lacked for solid white role models. My teachers showed me the respect white students get.

So, could the manager treat me badly on account of my whiteness, or dislike me for it? Yes. Could they be a part of a societal power structure that made my being white difficult for me in myriad ways over myriad spheres? No.

I've read things that defend her and I think it's utter ********.

I'm fine with that.

It's fine with me because, as you said, she can't affect me as a white person in the USA. The whole society invests social power in my whiteness that she can't touch.

The short answer is no.

By definition
So if a black American works as a shift manager, leading a diverse set of employees, is prejudiced against white people, is that racism?

By definition, yes, it is.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

This doesn't mean that blacks haven't been oppressed or face racists 10x's as much as others. It just means that if an individual is prejudice against someone simply because of their skin color it is wrong with today's standards. I'm not sure when or why this became so complicated.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I think this guy was on to something.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I can think of few things whiter than quoting Dr. King without understanding what he actually stood for.