What's new

Jazz 2017/18 Playoff Bus! All Aboard!

The way the Jazz have played lately, struggling against the dregs of the league may mean trouble ahead. Yes, they only lost to the Hawks, but the Kings came close and the Mavs almost came back.

Recently:

Pels beat Lakers by 3 (on a b2b2b, though)
Pels beat Dallas by 10 (we got screwed by the officials down the stretch)
Houston beat Detroit by 4
Spurs beat Wiz by 8 (led by as many as 22)
Clippers beat Bucks by 7

There are a few outliers, such as when Denver crushed Bulls by 33. We also annihilated the Suns by 28. Some tanking teams seem to try some nights and not others. Maybe it's a chip I have on my shoulder, but I rarely get the feeling that tank teams aren't trying against the Jazz. Like there's this mentality that teams are more motivated to compete with the Jazz because losing to the Jazz is embarrassing or something.

Anyway, I agree with you that some of the recent victories haven't been impressive as we'd like them to be, which is to say the team needs to stay hungry, get hungrier. It's interesting to think about the psychology going on. What if our guys didn't want to panic against the Hawks, so they tried to play it pretty cool, but ended up giving them too much as a result?

Also think about the schedule. Utah played every other night from March 2 through the 17th, including one back to back, and they finally got two days of rest before, you guessed it, losing to the Hawks. Rubio's playing through an injury. Favors was playing through a minor injury until he took a night off. (Likely all those every-other-night games wore on his body.)

Tonight is a big game. I'm trying, once again, not to take it as a defining moment for the entire season—unless of course we win, and then I'll assume we don't loser another game until we're holding the championship trophy.

Maybe it's a chip I have on my shoulder, but I rarely get the feeling that tank teams aren't trying against the Jazz. Like there's this mentality that teams are more motivated to compete with the Jazz because losing to the Jazz is embarrassing or something.

I'm sure it's a thing, because losing to a team that starts a 47 year old accountant is a pride thing.

going for the sweep of the spurs, the spurs look focused as hell though.

This may be the biggest test so far this season. Pop is an incredible coach, and you know he is taking this game seriously. And the Spurs are winning some games here now that they're not waiting for Leonard's return.

Can you believe we're even thinking of playoffs right now? If you told me we'd be talking like this, back in December, I would have said "impossible."

I don't know, but I think pretty highly of this Jazz team. I feel the same way I've felt every other game over the past 20 or so; the Jazz will win the game. If they can't beat good teams, then I don't really care about making the playoffs and getting destroyed. But they can. So I'm not that worried.

The Spurs have been running their offense through LMA, to the point that they look to be in a bit of a scramble when they don't. We've historically done a good job of stifling him. If we can guard LMA and Gasol in the paint and make them shoot outside, we should have a good shot at this.

This would be huge for us. It's really the toughest game left on our schedule.

Really need the east to step up and beat the clippers and the nuggets tonight because the jazz look awful and outclassed against the Spurs right now. The Jazz are picking the wrong time to lose a little steam and struggle. A little worried. No one else is blinking. That Atlanta game might cost us the post season. Really unfair considering how bad the east is.

Drinking Miller Lite. After drinking hard stuff for years now, this is like water. I'm convinced I could drink one of these every 12 minutes for a few hours.

Exum blows. Probably literally. Dude is such a bitch.

aa9fa4fa15ce1104b2b37c097851933b.gif