What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Search around and Knicks fans will tell you that their roster with RJ gets them nowhere. If Knicks would have gone three unprotected and two protected, we may have budged.

Search around and Knicks fans will tell you that their roster with RJ gets them nowhere. If Knicks would have gone three unprotected and two protected, we may have budged.
90% of Knicks fans love RJ… I mean 95% of them are dumbasses but still.

Feels like the soonest a deal gets done now is the February trade deadline.

I’m not exactly sure what they’re supposed to report.

At a certain point you gotta use some intuition. The Knicks master plan for years has been to amass draft capital to go after a star, ideally a CAA guy, and ideally someone that actually wants to play in that ********.

So now the Knicks are just walking away from the table for all of time? Because a guy that for most of this wasn’t considered to be seriously in discussion?
They are supposed to report the Jazz side of this/response to this.

This is going to drag out even longer now, but ultimately this may be nothing more than PR fodder for the Knicks when they surrender a war chest of picks and young players — “hey, we kept RJ though.”

Feels like the soonest a deal gets done now is the February trade deadline.
Soonest is right before training camp.

Would love to know New York’s final offer. If it was Barrett, 2 unprotected picks and 3 protected picks then Ainge is an *******.

Is Mitchell doing public pouting?

No. He is not worried, he knows a deal has been worked out. Just waiting until it can be executed.

90% of Knicks fans love RJ… I mean 95% of them are dumbasses but still.
They like him, but they also know that a lineup of Brunson/RJ/Toppin/Randle/Robinson gets you... maybe the 7 or 8 seed at best.

I think the Jazz would rather have Grimes anyway so there's a lit bit of posturing at play here.

Soonest is right before training camp.

Would love to know New York’s final offer. If it was Barrett, 2 unprotected picks and 3 protected picks then Ainge is an *******.
I am team “we don’t want RJ.” I think we want a war chest of picks and young players.

I am interested in seeing if we start selling off the older players now that Mitchell talks are going on pause for a while. The cats out of the bag now on the tank, and we can tank now with Don. Best to cash in Bogey, Beasley, Clarkson, and Conley for whatever assets we can get.

With RJ being off the table, this is going to be a “multiple young players coming back to Utah” deal if it happens, and we’ll need the roster spots too.

I am team “we don’t want RJ.” I think we want a war chest of picks and young players.

I am interested in seeing if we start selling off the older players now that Mitchell talks are going on pause for a while. The cats out of the bag now on the tank, and we can tank now with Don. Best to cash in Bogey, Beasley, Clarkson, and Conley for whatever assets we can get.
Besides the possibility of getting lame duck Donovan because Ainge is irrational, the biggest problem with the idea that talks are dead for a few weeks is what implications it has on the potential Lakers deal. This is on two fronts:
-are the Jazz gonna have the courage to still complete the deal and shed any pretense that they’re not tanking?
-there may be Knick pieces that would put the deal over the top for the Lakers.

I assume the Knicks were eyeing this and thinking it might be leverage in their internal calculations. Either way, I don’t think the Lakers are gonna wait forever.

I’m so sick of this ****.

Besides the possibility of getting lame duck Donovan because Ainge is irrational, the biggest problem with the idea that talks are dead for a few weeks is what implications it has on the potential Lakers deal. This is on two fronts:
-are the Jazz gonna have the courage to still complete the deal and shed any pretense that they’re not tanking?
-there may be Knick pieces that would put the deal over the top for the Lakers.

I assume the Knicks were eyeing this and thinking it might be leverage in their internal calculations. Either way, I don’t think the Lakers are gonna wait forever.

I’m so sick of this ****.
How is Ainge being irrational? Donovan Mitchell is worth more than RJ Barrett, junk matching salary, and two unprotected FRPs.

Trading a 25 year-old multi-time All-Star with three guaranteed years left is unprecedented. We should get an unprecedented haul for that. If Knicks don’t want to pay up and Don decides to be a baby about it, shelf Don this season and see where the chips are at the deadline and next offseason.

There’s no real pressure on the Jazz here. It may actually be better to wait until the season starts, watch the Knicks start to fail, and watch the pressure on Rose mount. We have the thing and they want the thing.

I want a deal to get done too, but I don’t want to cave to these ****ers.

Just another idea to toss in here:

-'23 and '26 unprotected
-'23 Mavs (protected) pick
-'25 and '27 super swaps (Knicks receive the worst of all the picks owned by the Jazz)
-'28 protected else swaps in '28 and '29

That last part is the thing I think is interesting if even possible. The idea here is that if the pick falls into the protected range (say it's #7 and it's top-10 protected), then the Jazz have swap rights (meaning they would still get #7 but send their later pick that year) and get the next year's, too. This would mean that the Knicks could not tank out of owing a high pick but it could be sold as a protected pick to save face but it would actually advantage the Jazz.

The headline/summary of the trade is "Knicks acquire star Donovan Mitchell for four 1st round picks". The first layer of details are that they are 'two unprotected 1st round picks (what's being floated as their current offer), two protected first round picks, and swaps."

I'm just trying to think creatively so as to make the parties as comfortable as possible to get this ****er done.
This is the way.

Some key takeaways from Woj article:

- Jazz valued Barrett.
- Jazz/Knicks are no longer engaged on trade talks.
- Real chance Donovan is on the Jazz roster going into camp.
The Jazz wanting or not wanting Barrett has been tossed around ad nauseam with everyone "in the know" having a different take. If the Jazz did want him Ainge got his chops busted for playing games and holding out so long. If they dont want him, the trade could easily still go down. I am not convince we wanted Barrett despite what WoJ is reporting.

Willing to do 3-4 years of tanking minimum but no patience when making trades (I’m kidding).

I think the Jazz dodged a bullet with this one. If RJ was in the trade, he wasn’t in the trade for 1-2 less picks. It was probably 3+. The Knicks weren’t giving up someone they just gave $120 M easily.

There’s a reason why RJ was not discussed as much as the other deals in these 400+ pages. Whether the Jazz truly wanted Barrett or not….I think it’s for the best we didn’t go that route.

This really isn’t that big of a hurdle. If anything I really like that extension number for RJ.

I literally just ran the numbers and:

RJ + Rose + Sims + McBride works for Donovan + NAW

The minimum amount the Knicks would have to send back salary wise is $28,289,130.

Those four players equal $28,624,725 as outgoing salary.

The maximum amount the Jazz could take in while sending out those two is $44,201,766.

Those four players equal $43,924,090 as incoming salary.

We could find a third team to take Sims or McBride if we wanted to. This is just one idea I have found that would work already.

This really isn’t that big of a hurdle. If anything I really like that extension number for RJ.

I literally just ran the numbers and:

RJ + Rose + Sims + McBride works for Donovan + NAW

The minimum amount the Knicks would have to send back salary wise is $28,289,130.

Those four players equal $28,624,725 as outgoing salary.

The maximum amount the Jazz could take in while sending out those two is $44,201,766.

Those four players equal $43,924,090 as incoming salary.

We could find a third team to take Sims or McBride if we wanted to. This is just one idea I have found that would work already.
I’m gonna have to do an analysis of the PPP but it seems like the Lakers being the 3rd team would actually work just fine.

In any case, RJ still doesn’t really do it for me so I’m kinda not bummed about the increased difficulty in getting him in the deal.