What's new

Jazz and Mid-Level Exception

This just posted by @tribjazz about 30 minutes ago: ‪#UtahJazz‬ will initially go after wings during free agency and have MLE to spend. Two names that came up today: Danny Green, Roger Mason.

I'm OK with Danny Green, not for the full midlevel. Hell no on Mason. My preference if the Jazz use the midlevel would be for Brandon Rush or Courtney Lee, both restricted free agents.

Thoughts on how Jazz should use midlevel, if at all?

This is also a good place to put the current Jazz salary situation:

Al Jefferson
$15,000,000

Devin Harris
$8,500,000

Maurice Williams
$8,500,000

Paul Millsap
$7,200,000

Derrick Favors
$4,753,320

Enes Kanter
$4,443,360

Raja Bell
$3,480,000

Gordon Hayward
$2,709,720

Alec Burks
$2,171,640

Earl Watson
$2,000,000

Jamaal Tinsley
$1,352,181

Jeremy Evans
$1,054,389

TOTAL: $60,110,221

If the Jazz sign Murphy to the minimum and use the midlevel, they will be a little over $66 million, about $5 million below the luxury tax. Other effects could be if Jazz take back more or less in a trade involving Jefferson/Harris/Bell, etc. The Jazz can amnesty Bell, but don't NEED to unless they are taking back big money in a trade (unlikely) or want to sign Andrei Kirilenko on top of using the midlevel....

I'm a little concerned that we keep going after SG/SF types. I'd probably rather see a true SF (don't know if any are realistic, however). Green, Rush, or Lee all sound OK. They'd probably help this year, but it seems like they lead to longer-term redundancies with Hayward, Burks, Murphy (though I know he may never make the team and these three are all much better players now than he is).

What about Ilyaslova? He'd work well with Favors down low, and can also play some PF. A younger version of Kirilenko with a much better jump shot (though probably not as good of a passer). Maybe a sign-and-trade with the Bucks, AJ for Ilyaslova, if the salaries match up? They need an inside presence now that Bogut is gone.

I'm a little concerned that we keep going after SG/SF types. I'd probably rather see a true SF (don't know if any are realistic, however). Green, Rush, or Lee all sound OK. They'd probably help this year, but it seems like they lead to longer-term redundancies with Hayward, Burks, Murphy (though I know he may never make the team and these three are all much better players now than he is).

I am unsure if the Jazz should use the exception at all for the same reason - Let's put the players in their proper place -

Favors - No doubt starter
Hayward - Starter at either wing
Jefferson - one year stop gap or trade bait
Harris - same as Jefferson
Williams - one to three year starter at PG, until the future PG is on the roster.
Millsap - 6th Man type, first big off the bench, starter if Jefferson traded
Kanter - bench guy until ready for the big time
Burks - first guard off the bench, and that may be his upside -
Watson, Tinsley - backup PG this season or trade bait.
Carroll - backup SF, energy guy
Evans, Murphy, Foster - end of the bench guys

If you look at it this way - if Rush is signed he is either A) Starting SF or B) first wing off the bench depending on how Burks develops. Same with Lee, except he'd be a SG and slide Hayward to SF. Neither one of these guys "blocks" Burks. If Burks develops into starter material like we hope, he starts. If Burks is a 6th man scorer type off the bench, then a reasonable starter is in place. It's not like trading for Iguodala, who would block Burks if he does develop into starter material. At this point, blocking Murphy shouldn't even be a question.

As far as Kirilenko, Jazz should consider signing him only if they plan on using him as a backup 4 behind Millsap, which would mean Jefferson has been traded. Jazz can use him in the SF position in spots, but he shouldn't be signed with that role primarily in mind in my opinion.

You forgot about that other scrub dude from last year we will probably bring back. That gets us to 14, and if we use the MLE that is 15. We have no room for our token unrestricted FA signing or DLeague player we will bring up. This means we must amnesty Bell. Even if we had room we should anyways.

I am unsure if the Jazz should use the exception at all for the same reason - Let's put the players in their proper place -

Favors - No doubt starter
Hayward - Starter at either wing
Jefferson - one year stop gap or trade bait
Harris - same as Jefferson
Williams - one to three year starter at PG, until the future PG is on the roster.
Millsap - 6th Man type, first big off the bench, starter if Jefferson traded
Kanter - bench guy until ready for the big time
Burks - first guard off the bench, and that may be his upside -
Watson, Tinsley - backup PG this season or trade bait.
Carroll - backup SF, energy guy
Evans, Murphy, Foster - end of the bench guys

If you look at it this way - if Rush is signed he is either A) Starting SF or B) first wing off the bench depending on how Burks develops. Same with Lee, except he'd be a SG and slide Hayward to SF. Neither one of these guys "blocks" Burks. If Burks develops into starter material like we hope, he starts. If Burks is a 6th man scorer type off the bench, then a reasonable starter is in place. It's not like trading for Iguodala, who would block Burks if he does develop into starter material. At this point, blocking Murphy shouldn't even be a question.

As far as Kirilenko, Jazz should consider signing him only if they plan on using him as a backup 4 behind Millsap, which would mean Jefferson has been traded. Jazz can use him in the SF position in spots, but he shouldn't be signed with that role primarily in mind in my opinion.

Agree with your assessment of each player. And yeah, Rush or Lee would be great as complimentary pieces that wouldn't block Burks's development (and for Rush, maybe even surpass it). I still think we should target Ilyaslova, who's an unrestricted FA, but only if we can get rid of Big Al or Millsap (I'd rather lose Al). All easier said than done.

If we trade Jefferson, does that open things up to bring in Tomic and let him become the Gasol stopper?

As the team payroll is structured right now, forget about the mid-level. No ****ing way Jazz go into the season with a payroll north of 65 mil.

You'll probably see Harris and Jefferson or Millsap go with maybe half their salaries combined coming back

This is also a good place to put the current Jazz salary situation:

Al Jefferson
$15,000,000

Devin Harris
$8,500,000

Maurice Williams
$8,500,000

Paul Millsap
$7,200,000

Derrick Favors
$4,753,320

Enes Kanter
$4,443,360

Raja Bell
$3,480,000

Gordon Hayward
$2,709,720

Alec Burks
$2,171,640

Earl Watson
$2,000,000

Jamaal Tinsley
$1,352,181

Jeremy Evans
$1,054,389

TOTAL: $60,110,221

If the Jazz sign Murphy to the minimum and use the midlevel, they will be a little over $66 million, about $5 million below the luxury tax. Other effects could be if Jazz take back more or less in a trade involving Jefferson/Harris/Bell, etc. The Jazz can amnesty Bell, but don't NEED to unless they are taking back big money in a trade (unlikely) or want to sign Andrei Kirilenko on top of using the midlevel....
FYI, Millsap's cap hit this coming season is around $8.6mm. There are other inaccuracies with your numbers as well. I'm guessing you pulled them from hoopshype. Not a good source.

Link: https://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/jazz.jsp

If we trade Jefferson, does that open things up to bring in Tomic and let him become the Gasol stopper?

KOC recently said that they won't bring in Tomic until he really proves himself, since he'll be incredibly expensive (the Jazz have to pay off his team, and then pay him). Also, Gasol is starting to slow down, he'll be his own stopper. Still a great player.

KOC recently said that they won't bring in Tomic until he really proves himself, since he'll be incredibly expensive (the Jazz have to pay off his team, and then pay him). Also, Gasol is starting to slow down, he'll be his own stopper. Still a great player.

not true. he currently has no team to pay, as he was released under his team option year with RM.

and i don't think he would cost that much right now. by contrast, if we wait, he probably signs another multi-year deal over there. if he signs another 3 year contract, then he'll be 28 next time we can get him, and you can bet they won't bring over a 28-year-old free agent.

in other words, it's probably now or never on tomic.

not true. he currently has no team to pay, as he was released under his team option year with RM.

and i don't think he would cost that much right now. by contrast, if we wait, he probably signs another multi-year deal over there. if he signs another 3 year contract, then he'll be 28 next time we can get him, and you can bet they won't bring over a 28-year-old free agent.

No, Tomic is getting a lot of money in Europe, way more than he can in the NBA and more playing time too. KOC said he would have to "explode over there" meaning he would have to get good enough to be a consistent role player on the Jazz and be payed a decent amount.

Oh ok, I got that from Locke, but now i see on SLCdunk that you're right. Yeah, I'd say sign him now.

I think it will be never for Tomic. Not likely to seriously improve at his age and KOC's unwilling to bring him if he doesn't improve.