What's new

Jazz are committed to Donovan as cornerstone according to Woj

For sure, if we get some players too, that would be great. I haven't watched much of NYK, but I never really warmed that much to what I've seen of Quickley, and certainly not Toppin, but it seems Topping picked up towards the end of the season. I do believe a package around 2/3 of the yougins from Knicks, perhaps Fournier for matching (he's also useful for the next not-tank-probably-not-contender years) and some picks would be a good haul. That, or we roll with Donovan.

View: https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status/1543660605759897600

Butler likes what Hardy brings, at least.

That tweet could have been verbatim for Quin when he came in.

These are all valid points but he’s really not that overpaid. I think Brooklyn would take him as a starting PG. He’s helps them win and he’s good for the locker room and young guys.
if Brooklyn trade away their starting PG and have no other options then yeah, they'd take Conley as a starting PG. But Conley at this point of his career really isn't a great option as a starting PG as there are roughly 20 PGs out there that are clearly better than him.

Just have to buckle up and get ready for him to get outplayed/outmatched on most nights. And paying 20mil for a low-end/borderline starter is overpay, like a lot

if Brooklyn trade away their starting PG and have no other options then yeah, they'd take Conley as a starting PG. But Conley at this point of his career really isn't a great option as a starting PG as there are roughly 20 PGs out there that are clearly better than him.

Just have to buckle up and get ready for him to get outplayed/outmatched on most nights. And paying 20mil for a low-end/borderline starter is overpay, like a lot

He’s coming off the bench if we keep him.

I remember camping with some friends and listening to a playoff game on the radio in what I think was Spida second season and telling him that I literally wouldn't trade donovan for anyone in the nba.
He was throwing out names like Harden, Steph, Kyrie, etc and I was nope, nope, nope. He was so good so fast and was great for the community and humble (even randomly showed up to Kearns high school, where I went to school, and the 4th of july pool part stuff etc etc), and seemed like he really wanted to be with the jazz. I remember stories about draft night when he found the nuggets had traded him to the jazz and he was stoked and told his mom that utah was where he was hoping to go or something.

Man how times have changed.
He really was getting so much better so fast. It felt like he was learning from his mistakes game to game and fixing things on the fly. I was super high on him then, too.

Today I think he's a very good offensive weapon, but he isn't improving much and seems less explosive. The biggest issue is that he has not improved on his efficiency, which I would have expected from that early DM, trying to understand and improve on any area of weakness. Combine that with low defensive effort and he's someone that could be traded for an upgrade if the opportunity presented itself. As it is, he's going to continue to be our primary inefficient scorer.

No I agree that we need to give him a chance. We’re not a tank team and never have been. Hopefully he stays motivated on the defensive end.

My biggest concern is his antics on social media. If he starts clowning us again and undermining the program after the All Star break, I hope management has the cajones to give him a one way ticket out of Dodge. I don’t want a Brooklyn situation here where we’re coddling pampered super stars!

Too late

I am curious to see how DM responds to a 35 win team. I mean, he already had one eye on playing for the Knicks with the best record in the NBA. I am concerned he will be totally exposed as a fraud and his trade value will tank next year.

Interesting thought.

Being that Brooklyn's drafts are owned by the Rockets, they have no incentive to be bad. They'll just try to be good for the foreseeable future.
Ah good info. If they cant get any really good win now guys back in a trade though maybe they would like to recoup some of that missing draft capital ala the utah jazz rudy gobert trade though right?

These are all valid points but he’s really not that overpaid. I think Brooklyn would take him as a starting PG. He’s helps them win and he’s good for the locker room and young guys.
Ya you might be right. I thought his contract was worse than it is. I was thinking it was closer to 30 mil than 20.

Ah good info. If they cant get any really good win now guys back in a trade though maybe they would like to recoup some of that missing draft capital ala the utah jazz rudy gobert trade though right?

They essentially want a mix of both. Thats why I think they could get all of Phoenix’s draft picks plus maybe 1 or 2 or ours from other team plus Bridges/Johnson/Crowder and whatever player(s) we include.

They essentially want a mix of both. Thats why I think they could get all of Phoenix’s draft picks plus maybe 1 or 2 or ours from other team plus Bridges/Johnson/Crowder and whatever player(s) we include.
Its weird cause if you look at jazz pre gobert trade in comparison to the nets, which team would you think would blow it up and rebuild with draft picks and young guys if you had to pick one team?
both teams cash strapped. Both team with no draft assets anytime in the future. One team with 2 all stars in their prime that haven't missed many games (the jazz) and one team with 2 all stars, one leaving their prime and both having missed lots of games (the nets). One team with a decent amount of on court success (the jazz) and one team that has mostly sucked (the nets)

Looking at that you would think that the nets would be the team doing the gobert style trade thing and the jazz would be looking for win now pieces.

Maybe they are going to get Ayton or someone else and want to see what Donovan can do without gobert there. Then if we dont win much (I dont think we will) we can trade him next year after putting up huge empty stats. IDK.

I am fine with keeping donovan and fine with trading him. Im one of the few who still really likes Spida Mitchell.
I know it depends on the deal, but now that Gobert is gone it means they are much more likely to win with him than without him, so I hope he stays for that reason. I'm not embracing the tank. I hate tanking.

That said, if they get some great deal with like multiple unprotected first round picks from teams that might end up picking in the Top 10, or a real good player, that would be fine with me as well.

I’ve never seen quite the cult-like fan club Gobert has. It really doesn’t have to be like this against Donovan. Fact is Donovan is a top-5 Jazz-man of all-time along with Rudy. It doesn’t have to be a competition especially when Rudy isn’t on the team anymore.
I'm a huge Gobert fan, think he was our 3rd best player in franchise history, and I would have rather kept him and traded Don for more pieces. That said, I don't get the side that has to hate Mitchell either. At one point he was my favorite player on the team, and maybe he can get some of that mojo back.

I'm a huge Gobert fan, think he was our 3rd best player in franchise history, and I would have rather kept him and traded Don for more pieces. That said, I don't get the side that has to hate Mitchell either. At one point he was my favorite player on the team, and maybe he can get some of that mojo back.
I don’t hate Mitchell, I just think he has some obvious flaws that clearly other people aren’t willing to discuss. I also think he’s going to bolt out of here at first opportunity so we if can trade him for a haul, we should.

I think it’s fairly easy to see why the fanbase likes Gobert more than Mitchell.

He’s an underdog that came out of nowhere to be an elite player. He was all effort, all the time. He, at the very least, appeared to be upfront and honest about things. He spoke his mind, and didn’t shy away from things. But most importantly to a fanbase used to getting **** on, he full out loved Utah, loved being here, and wanted to be here for his whole career. By now it’s pretty obvious that Don, despite being a very good player and having good attributes, does not want to be here long term and has a crappy attitude. Is it really any wonder the fanbase likes/liked Rudy better? It really isn’t that difficult.