What's new

Jazz are committed to Donovan as cornerstone according to Woj

Hayward’s best 3 years with the Jazz:

20.3 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, 45% from the field and 37% from 3

Mitchell’s last 3 years averages:

25.3 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 45% from field and 37% from 3

Donovan is a 3x All-Star and Hayward is a 1x All-Star

Hayward is a much better and more versatile defender. Similar playoff records. Better rebounder. Doesn’t need goggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest question, has Mitchell lost a step already? I seem to remember him driving and dunking on people a lot more is first two years than the last two. If he’s already losing some of his athleticism are we sure we want to build around the guy?

Honest question, has Mitchell lost a step already? I seem to remember him driving and dunking on people a lot more is first two years than the last two. If he’s already losing some of his athleticism are we sure we want to build around the guy?
Maybe it is him realizing he doesn't need to do that and take those risks for 2pts when he can make a layup? I don't really know. But he doesn't go for those highlight reel dunks like he did his first two seasons, that is for sure.

I really don’t think Maravich or Williams are over either of them.
Maravich is a legend of the game.

Williams was the best PG in the game for a window there and made the conference finals.

Rudy has never been considered the best C in the game. Not at any time. Mutumbo was adored in his day and Eaton in the prior era. Those guys are appreciated but never celebrated.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Whatever. There’s a debate to be had between him and Hayward you homer. What isn’t debatable is him being too 5. Not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no debate between Hayward and Mitchell because Mitchell is a much better player and has had a much better Jazz career than Hayward ever had.

Hayward’s best 3 years with the Jazz:

20.3 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, 45% from the field and 37% from 3

Mitchell’s last 3 years averages:

25.3 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 45% from field and 37% from 3

Donovan is a 3x All-Star and Hayward is a 1x All-Star
These guys are idiots.

Williams was the best PG in the game for a window there and made the conference finals.

Rudy has never been considered the best C in the game. Not at any time. Mutumbo was adored in his day and Eaton in the prior era. Those guys are appreciated but never celebrated.

Are we using passive voice constructions referring to undefined, anonymous groups who consider players to judge the historic value of players now?
To be sure, Rudy has never been first-team all-NBA, but neither was Deron Williams, so I'm not sure when he was the best PG in the league. Deron was an all-star three times and second team all-NBA twice. Gobert's already equaled that (making second team once and third team twice, and the same number of all-star selections). But Rudy won defensive player of the year three times, tied for second-most ever. He'll be in the Hall of Fame. Deron Williams never will. Deron played for the Jazz for five years and fell off a cliff, statistically, after eight. Rudy was on the Jazz for nine years and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Rudy's certainly the more valuable player historically speaking.

There is no debate between Hayward and Mitchell because Mitchell is a much better player and has had a much better Jazz career than Hayward ever had.

The way Hayward left bumps him below Mitchell. But Mitchell could ruin that part as well. They just had different careers on very different situations. Hayward was pretty much on tanking teams except for his first and last years here. His only real year of us trying to win he lead the team to a good upset in the playoffs. Mitchell had a similar year/series but also had really bad failures as the main guy on the favored team. Stats wise Mitchell is better until you factor in defense. Hayward was quiet and not really a team leader, although I dont know that Mitchell is doing much better in those regards.

But as of right now if I made a ranking Mitchell would be ahead of Hayward. But definitely behind in no order Stockton, Malone, Gobert, Pete, and maybe Okur. He is probably tied with Boozer and Deron. But he could move up on the list if he sticks around and the team actually goes somewhere.

Pistol Pete is too hard to rank sometimes though. He never got the Jazz into the playoffs, not once. He never even got us to a winning record. He was a showman and a legend, but not for winning. But he did kind of put the Jazz on the map back then and really was an entertaining player to watch for people. He put up crazy numbers although its hard to compare numbers from that era to know and he also lost a lot of games, but didnt have much help. Maybe I bump him below Mitchell now that I think about it.

The way Hayward leaving situation bumps him below Mitchell. But Mitchell could ruin that part as well. They just had different careers on very different situations. Hayward was pretty much on tanking teams except for his first and last years here. His only real year of us trying to win he lead the team to a good upset in the playoffs. Mitchell had a similar year/series but also had really bad failures as the main guy on the favored team. Stats wise Mitchell is better until you factor in defense. Hayward was quiet and not really a team leader, although I dont know that Mitchell is doing much better in those regards.

But as of right now if I made a ranking Mitchell would be ahead of Hayward. But definitely behind in no order Stockton, Malone, Gobert, and maybe Okur. He is probably tied with Boozer and Deron. But he could move up on the list if he sticks around and the team actually goes somewhere.

You also need to define what you are ranking by. Just winning? Liked the most by fans? Best player? Or things?

AK shouldnt be in the top 10.

I’m squarely in the Donovan support group, but have my top 5 at

Malone (HOF)
Stockton (HOF)
Gobert (Future HOF)
Dantley (HOF)
Williams (on the cusp, but not quite HOF)
Mitchell (?)

shorter career == less accolades…
Donovan has solid potential to move upward in these rankings with a few more years of accomplishments.

AK was a legit defensive great, spent a lot more time here than Don, actually led the team for awhile (‘04 was a spectacular job from AK). The things he did on the court never get rewarded with Allstar nods, but he played at that level for a reasonable stretch. Was always a better player than Boozer and the FO really screwed the pooch trying to force him to the 3.

He’s not unsurpassable, but yeah, I have him pretty easily over Don for now. He’s my current #5.

AK was a legit defensive great, spent a lot more time here than Don, actually led the team for awhile (‘04 was a spectacular job from AK). The things he did on the court never get rewarded with Allstar nods, but he played at that level for a reasonable stretch. Was always a better player than Boozer and the FO really screwed the pooch trying to force him to the 3.

He’s not unsurpassable, but yeah, I have him pretty easily over Don for now. He’s my current #5.
AK's natural position was a hybrid 3/4 and played a fair amount of time (if not most) at the 3 even before Boozer. Dude would have been fantastic in this era now that I think about it. He was a defensive monster.

Thinking on it, AK probably has a decent argument over Dantley too, who was a bit of a reverse AK in terms of on court talents.

AK47 needs to be in the top 5 just for the sheer amount of Rockette fan tears he generated for us. Remember when he drew this foul from Louis Scola in game 2 of the 2008 playoffs? Their fan base exploded. They were still talking about it even when Harden was kicking our ***.

AK47 baby! Fast forward to 1:15. Love it:

View: https://youtu.be/RhdqCPEOiYs

Are we using passive voice constructions referring to undefined, anonymous groups who consider players to judge the historic value of players now?
To be sure, Rudy has never been first-team all-NBA, but neither was Deron Williams, so I'm not sure when he was the best PG in the league. Deron was an all-star three times and second team all-NBA twice. Gobert's already equaled that (making second team once and third team twice, and the same number of all-star selections). But Rudy won defensive player of the year three times, tied for second-most ever. He'll be in the Hall of Fame. Deron Williams never will. Deron played for the Jazz for five years and fell off a cliff, statistically, after eight. Rudy was on the Jazz for nine years and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Rudy's certainly the more valuable player historically speaking.
We could argue Deron vs Rudy all day long in terms of regular season accomplishments. I would actually give a slight nod to Rudy on that.

For the postseason, it's not even close. Deron was more impactful in the postseason.

At their peaks, I think Deron is more impactful overall. But you're right, it's very close.

What does this mean?
Rudy is by far the best player in the trade. However, we did add guys who have quality NBA experience. If the new coach is great at his job and better than Quin, it's conceivable that a deeper team coached better can achieve what we did last year.

The coach is the most important part of this offseason.

Realistically...

1. Malone
2. Stockton
3. Dantley
4. Gobert
5. Maravich
6. Williams
7. Kirilenko
8. Mitchell
9. Hayward
10. Okur
11. Boozer
12. Big T

Something like that. Just off the top of my head.

This would make a good poll. Top 10 Jazz players of all time. Might need 2 to set up a 3rd.

By the way, the first 5 on this list would likely win multiple championships.

I would probably put mitchell ahead of AK but maybe not. Thats a tough one. Otherwise i think i agree with everything on your list.

Actually after thinking about it a bit more, i would probably drop malone down to 2 and put Burks #1

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Woj is a speakerhead for agents/teams. He's not untrustworthy these days, but when it comes to speculation you can't really believe him. It's tactical.