What's new

Jazz Charter Flight Engine Trouble

Those birds were sent by Quin, it was meant as an ultimate team bonding experience. They won't fear anything on the court anymore.

Yes... it isn't the fans that make racist remarks or go too far with their in arena enthusiasm... or the fact that the fans in our arena are racially homogenous... or that Utah was settle by a group of religious people that practiced polygamy at one time... It is the guys making comments on a fan specific site that make our fanbase look weird. Way to go @infection you doofus.
The Utah Jazz fanbase is considered to be the most weird in the NBA , living in many cities in the states and now in Toronto that's the most common perception. I'm a Jazz man through and through but I share this mentality when comments are awkward ,bias or completely left field in this forum. It solidifies mindsets. The jazz have come a long way and I hope things improve, we are respected by many but are dissed by the majority. Most on here are very civil, but some are just outrageous. To each their own, I'm a fan that's why I'm here, being from Toronto gives me perspective from the outward.

The Utah Jazz fanbase is considered to be the most weird in the NBA , living in many cities in the states and now in Toronto that's the most common perception. I'm a Jazz man through and through but I share this mentality when comments are awkward ,bias or completely left field in this forum. It solidifies mindsets. The jazz have come a long way and I hope things improve, we are respected by many but are dissed by the majority. Most on here are very civil, but some are just outrageous. To each their own, I'm a fan that's why I'm here, being from Toronto gives me perspective from the outward.
I think you're taking things seriously that are being said in good fun.

This was something very stressful for the people on the plane, I'm sure. The reality is that they were never in any significant danger. I think it's okay for us to make jokes. No one, other than a bird or two, died.

I think you're taking things seriously that are being said in good fun.

This was something very stressful for the people on the plane, I'm sure. The reality is that they were never in any significant danger. I think it's okay for us to make jokes. No one, other than a bird or two, died.
Thank you for putting things into perspective

Yeah but nothing said on this forum is the reason people think our fanbase is weird. Its about history, demographic, and geography. I am out in NorCal... I would say the stigma is less about Jazz fans and more about being from Utah. A lot of guys come in here and get some jokes off for fun... its fine. I'm guessing when all the stuff was settled our own Joe Ingles was getting some jokes off too.

Yeah but nothing said on this forum is the reason people think our fanbase is weird. Its about history, demographic, and geography. I am out in NorCal... I would say the stigma is less about Jazz fans and more about being from Utah. A lot of guys come in here and get some jokes off for fun... its fine. I'm guessing when all the stuff was settled our own Joe Ingles was getting some jokes off too.
There is more to it though, I don't wish to remain on the topic but it's more about race and perception. That's why players don't tend to favor us as a playing destination. Hopefully Mitchell helps with that. Again I know it's due to more reasons than you have specified but don't wish to elaborate, because I don't feel it's necessary.

There is more to it though, I don't wish to remain on the topic but it's more about race and perception. That's why players don't tend to favor us as a playing destination. Hopefully Mitchell helps with that. Again I know it's due to more reasons than you have specified but don't wish to elaborate, because I don't feel it's necessary.
Can we just be honest here?

It's about Mormonism (and I say this as a Mormon who grew up in Utah). That's why white people across North America (including, perhaps, the Hayward family) feel just as comfortable saying that "I don't want to live in that place" as black folks do. It's not about what the fans do as a fanbase.

Sure there's some element of small-town stigma and wariness about lack of diversity (though Salt Lake County itself is not the whitest metropolitan county in the US --Portland outranks Utah among NBA markets; it may be the least black, however). But the perceptions of racial relations and whatever other perception comes into play are not just taken as individual characteristics of the place; instead, they are all filtered through views/stereotypes about Mormonism.

That's why even Oklahoma City isn't viewed as warily by the NBA community (fans, players, agents, etc.).

Acknowledging the role of Mormonism is both liberating and frustrating. It's liberating because it's not about Jazz fans per se; and perhaps also because some stereotypes are clearly overblown and many people who go to the area end up liking it. But it's also frustrating because the stereotypes are far beyond the ability of Jazz fans or the Jazz organization by themselves to affect (at least on a large scale; perhaps some things can be done to change the negative views of individuals here and there.)

It's about Mormonism (and I say this as a Mormon who grew up in Utah). That's why white people across North America (including, perhaps, the Hayward family) feel just as comfortable saying that "I don't want to live in that place" as black folks do. It's not about what the fans do as a fanbase.

Sure there's some element of small-town stigma and wariness about lack of diversity (though Salt Lake County itself is not the whitest metropolitan county in the US --Portland outranks Utah among NBA markets; it may be the least black, however). But the perceptions of racial relations and whatever other perception comes into play are not just taken as individual characteristics of the place; instead, they are all filtered through views/stereotypes about Mormonism.

That's why even Oklahoma City isn't viewed as warily by the NBA community (fans, players, agents, etc.).

Acknowledging the role of Mormonism is both liberating and frustrating. It's liberating because it's not about Jazz fans per se; and perhaps also because some stereotypes are clearly overblown and many people who go to the area end up liking it. But it's also frustrating because the stereotypes are far beyond the ability of Jazz fans or the Jazz organization by themselves to affect (at least on a large scale; perhaps some things can be done to change the negative views of individuals here and there.)
I think it's more racism, see the previous player testimonies and other factors. Mormonism contributes but isn't the only reason. But again let's move on ...

The Mormon church's position on blacks not having the priesthood and being inferior to white people reinforces people's stereotypes of the state. Add in exclusiveness of not being Mormon makes non-members feel like outsiders. When the majority of the state is hanging out with only Mormons it becomes difficult to be included in social events. Throw in the history of polygamy and it even makes many outsiders uncomfortable about the state.

Last edited:
Captain Joe conveniently came out with a video about bird strikes today.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using JazzFanz mobile app

Lol... I think this may be the same guy I watched a month or two ago when I was searching how a lay person could land a plane. You know, in case I’m ever in that situation. Can never be too prepared.

The Mormon church's position on blacks not having the priesthood and being inferior to white people reinforces people's stereotypes of the state. Add in exclusiveness of not being Mormon makes non-members uncomfortable and feeling like outsiders. When the majority of the state is hanging out with only Mormons it becomes difficult to be included in social events. Throw in the history of polygamy and it even makes many outsiders uncomfortable about the state.
That conception is inaccurate as a contemporary condition of the religion. Blacks do hold the Priesthood today and are treated with the same respect as anyone else. Although I'm not a practicing mormon, my wife is and the Ensign magazine (official periodical) goes out of it's way to promote people of color today. I think the fact that Utah is such an extreme Red state may have as much to do with the negative perception as anything.

Did we confirm that Mitchell missed the Memphis game due to this flight mishap? If so, I certainly don't think any less of him for it. I know for a fact that I'd be extremely shaken up in that situation as well.

Did we confirm that Mitchell missed the Memphis game due to this flight mishap? If so, I certainly don't think any less of him for it. I know for a fact that I'd be extremely shaken up in that situation as well.
Has anyone heard from Donovan? I haven't seen him interviewed about his reaction and how he is doing? A situation like this can really mess you up if you already have anxiety of flying. I hope he is doing well and can get back to feeling better or normal.

Yes. Clarkson essentially confirmed it in his postgame comments.