What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

I like the player, I love the value. The trade was solid too. Overall I think it's a good first draft day for Zanik. One problem - he doesn't help us with our main problems - lack of length, athleticism and defense on the perimeter. I guess we will have to address that in FA.

I now have faith in JZ… it’s not unshakeable but I have faith.

I like the player, I love the value. The trade was solid too. Overall I think it's a good first draft day for Zanik. One problem - he doesn't help us with our main problems - lack of length, athleticism and defense on the perimeter. I guess we will have to address that in FA.
I think he helps with our main problems. Matador defense and decision making. I still cant get over that royce travel out of a donovan mitchell double team. I could have made that play

Looking forward to summer league. All I want is a Donovan Mitchell type summer league from young Jared.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Looking forward to summer league. All I want is a Donovan Mitchell type summer league from young Jared.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
I see that there are a lot of good undrafted prospects. Hopefully we can bring a lot of them to the SL.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer as I'm still bitter about last season, but what so far has made this 2nd round eliminated, 4 straight losses to an injured Clippers team better? Remember, if Butler was so important to our championship aspirations we would've drafted him at 30.
1. Don't think we were going to address our problems in the draft.
2. We were also an injured team.
3. IMO Butler definitely makes us better.

If you think he doesn't help with defense on the perimeter, you don't know Butler.

I watched a lot of video on Butler earlier today and was excited to see he has a nice midrange game as well. Combine this with his outside shooting and the fact he's not afraid to drive to the hoop and the guy is solid.

I know he's not super athletic but in our system he doesn't have to be. It's a bit impressive he's a decent defender despite having a short wingspan and not being super athletic.

I think he'll fit in well and look forward to see how quickly he can contribute. Like some draft pages have stated the guy is intelligent and always seems to be in the right spot to hit a shot. He hit so many quick threes and seems to be into his shooting motion before catching the ball so I believe he'll be a good catch and shoot player as well.

Yup, Tony mentioned this in his article last night as well. But ****, at this draft range there’s a better chance of the player washing out due to being a bad basketball player than because of health. Well worth a shot!

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but an underrated aspect of Butler's game that will translate to the league is that he shot a ton of NBA range threes at Baylor. Butler has excellent, effortless range.

I'll feel better about the health concerns when somebody from the Jazz FO or Butler himself addresses them. I have to think that will come soon assuming there is a press conference.

Butler will come in with a lot to prove
He did not get first round guaranteed money
He will bust it to show he deserves first round money

Butler will come in with a lot to prove
He did not get first round guaranteed money
He will bust it to show he deserves first round money
Jazz should give him as much guaranteed money as they can. If his injury issues end up having him medically retire its a nice jump start to life. I'd give him as many minimum years as we are allowed.

Huge fan of Butler, but his draft fall makes me wonder if his health issues are more serious than we know. Still a great value at #40 though.

I love his game. Most people are casting him as an NBA ready player, and I think that's true. He was one of the best players in college basketball last season and has an NBA style game. But I also see him as prospect with a great deal of potential. I think people get "high potential" wrong a lot of the time and focus too much on size/athleticism instead of focusing on elite skills. His off the dribble shooting and scoring in PnR might be the elite skill that makes him an all star down the line.

Health aside, I couldn't understand why he was rated so low...especially when compared to Davion Mitchell. Baylor had two great guards, but one of them was their best player all season and got all the accolades. He's also two years younger. Jared Butler is still only 20 years old!

By all means be happy but we're a second round exit again and with no Mike(ATM) and Favors we are worse. I'll leave it out of this particular thread though as it truly the best pick we could've gotten. My bad on that
So something that's important to note here on depth is that because we had none of it, when the Jazz had injuries, they had to overload their already creaky roster. Joe was cooked by the post-season because of Conley's hammy and Donovan's ankle. Conley's hammy might've been in better shape but they needed him to win games reliably. Donovan needs to play 36 minutes a game to win games reliably. This constant wear and burden with no release valve has a compounding, cascading, and deleterious effect on the health of the team.

Also, I don't know how much better Favors even made the Jazz, all things considered. If we went by advanced metrics, Tony Bradley was as good. Good Favors was good, but by mid-season, he was already hobbled and couldn't even scale up minutes if we wanted to.