What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

To be fair, the Jazz felt the same way when Curtis Borchardt fell into their laps, a player they didn't even work out.

We received similar draft grades at the time and the medical issue (foot) that caused him to drop in the draft ended his very short, injury riddled career. Hope that is not the case here, but at #40, it was by far a gamble worth taking.
Borch was big and slow. At the very least, Butler can shoot.

Huge fan of Butler, but his draft fall makes me wonder if his health issues are more serious than we know. Still a great value at #40 though.

I love his game. Most people are casting him as an NBA ready player, and I think that's true. He was one of the best players in college basketball last season and has an NBA style game. But I also see him as prospect with a great deal of potential. I think people get "high potential" wrong a lot of the time and focus too much on size/athleticism instead of focusing on elite skills. His off the dribble shooting and scoring in PnR might be the elite skill that makes him an all star down the line.

Health aside, I couldn't understand why he was rated so low...especially when compared to Davion Mitchell. Baylor had two great guards, but one of them was their best player all season and got all the accolades. He's also two years younger. Jared Butler is still only 20 years old!
Knee was flagged too… plenty of guys have been flagged and worked out… Brogdon and Anunoby come to mind… at 40 the risk <<<<< reward… cuz he’s damn good.

I sure hope Quin gives him a lot of opportunities for him to play. And not have to ride the bench 60-70% of the time this season. He's ready to help the team.

No concerns about his foot speed ??
None. His handles are elite, you have to respect his shot, hes good in tight spaces, he’s a real threat to pass out of the PnR, and he can put a body on you. His first step looks good enough, too.

I see some good reasons to compare him to CJ McCollum in these (foot speed) respects.

Last edited:
It’s hard to buy this line, honestly. I will never believe the claim that they knew he would drop 10 more spots. They got lucky. Drafting him at 30 wasn’t a no-brainer? (It was).
Look... I don't know how much intel they had... maybe they were 1 of a handful of teams that had cleared him... I'm just gonna be happy it worked out and try not to think about JZ being a riverboat gambler.

Look... I don't know how much intel they had... maybe they were 1 of a handful of teams that had cleared him... I'm just gonna be happy it worked out and try not to think about JZ being a riverboat gambler.

I think in TJ's article he said they were comfortable with trading back because Ayo and McBride were also still on the board. Seems like Butler was their first choice their whole time, but they would have been ok with the others as well.

I think in TJ's article he said they were comfortable with trading back because Ayo and McBride were also still on the board. Seems like Butler was their first choice their whole time, but they would have been ok with the others as well.
that seems likely. Ayo would have been a pretty damn good consolation prize if Butler were off the board.

I got $120 on it only if he speaks on nothing but banana bread. Not here for the bull ****

Or maybe something about how he’s heard his #1 fan goes by the name Handjob Hero... and that he’s kind of interested in exploring that.
Let’s not weird him out yet…. Let it breathe a bit.

To be honest I am hoping that Butler is so good the Jazz can move JC to get some more asset and maybe a young player maybe even cut some more LT money.

I got $120 on it only if he speaks on nothing but banana bread.

giphy.gif