What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

This pick honestly reminds me of Michael Porter Jr and Malcolm Brogdon. Zero reasons either should have dropped besides medical reasons.
To be fair, the Jazz felt the same way when Curtis Borchardt fell into their laps, a player they didn't even work out.

We received similar draft grades at the time and the medical issue (foot) that caused him to drop in the draft ended his very short, injury riddled career. Hope that is not the case here, but at #40, it was by far a gamble worth taking.

It was the 40 pick so if he becomes a decent backup it is a huge win. It was not a gamble to pick him at 30 or 40 but getting upset about the pick seems a little ridiculous.

I've got a "best case scenario" comp here.

Athletic but not overly athletic
Known in college for offense
Active hands on defense
Balanced skill set
6'3" but a solid 195
Great leader, winner
Football background

If this kid becomes everything he can be, could he be a modern day version of Joe Dumars?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I wasn't expecting much at 30 let alone 40. Seems like we got a guy who can play right away. I like this stroke, swagger, and passing ability.
Seems like a steal.

If we can get Favors off the books, and Niang off the roster so Quin will stop playing him maybe we can improve. We just need
to make one defensive impact to have a chance. Obviously more would be better, but we aren't that far off. That's where my frustration
has come from. We were close last year. We had a lot of good pieces. We just had a clear hole, and it was ignored by the front office.

I've got a "best case scenario" comp here.

Athletic but not overly athletic
Known in college for offense
Active hands on defense
Balanced skill set
6'3" but a solid 195
Great leader, winner
Football background

If this kid becomes everything he can be, could he be a modern day version of Joe Dumars?

Now that is a terrific comp … good call

JZ saying the right things. Obviously saying those things doesn’t mean anything, but it always felt like DL would only say them in a very abstract way and not in any way that drew attention and at least some form of accountability for your reputation.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer as I'm still bitter about last season, but what so far has made this 2nd round eliminated, 4 straight losses to an injured Clippers team better? Remember, if Butler was so important to our championship aspirations we would've drafted him at 30.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer as I'm still bitter about last season, but what so far has made this 2nd round eliminated, 4 straight losses to an injured Clippers team better? Remember, if Butler was so important to our championship aspirations we would've drafted him at 30.
Thats a valid point

Apparently his knee was red flagged as well. I think if it was just the heart he goes top 20. Lots of guys get flagged with medical stuff and have long careers… I ain’t scared.

We are better… the line of thinking that a single move doesn’t “put you over the top” is one of the dumbest most frustrating ideas that gets thrown out there. Let’s just not do anything unless it gets us a championship guaranteed…

We could just… ya know… be a little happy for a minute.

We are better… the line of thinking that a single move doesn’t “put you over the top” is one of the dumbest most frustrating ideas that gets thrown out there. Let’s just not do anything unless it gets us a championship guaranteed…

We could just… ya know… be a little happy for a minute.
By all means be happy but we're a second round exit again and with no Mike(ATM) and Favors we are worse. I'll leave it out of this particular thread though as it truly the best pick we could've gotten. My bad on that

Butler is a combo guard who is ready to play
If and when Conley or Donovan gets hurt or has to rest Butler is legit replacement
who can play starter minutes
Jazz did not have that

By all means be happy but we're a second round exit again and with no Mike(ATM) and Favors we are worse. I'll leave it out of this particular thread though as it truly the best pick we could've gotten. My bad on that
We don’t know yet. The kid is likely ready to contribute and could have been quite useful in the clips series… it’s no guarantee… but this is basketball… ain’t no guarantees anywhere.