What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

Looking at butlers stats from college and they are pretty impressive. Also seemed to get better in most statistics each year.

Looking at butlers stats from college and they are pretty impressive. Also seemed to get better in most statistics each year.
Go watch his highlights from the tournament... just make sure the kids are asleep first cuz you'll need some alone time.

Go watch his highlights from the tournament... just make sure the kids are asleep first cuz you'll need some alone time.
I did. Came away very impressed. His shot is super smooth (though his knees both pointing inward a bit is a little strange looking), he is quicker than I expected and seems to have a really good feel for the game. Good handles. Good size. Wish he were more athletic but cant have everything in a player drafted in the second round.
Kinda reminds me of brandon roy a little bit. Seems to be good at a lot of different things and just really steady.

Final Four MVP from the championship Baylor Bears! 42% from three! Sounds too good to be true especially playin chicken for scrap seconds and dropping back to #40

Would a fair comparison of his abilities be Chauncey Billups? Both combo guards, can shoot and cerebral in their play styles. Not saying Butler is as good or close to Billups, just similar type athletes and style of play.

Based on my five minutes of scouting it seems like he may struggle finishing at the rim. Looks like he has a decent floater game that he can rely on in the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I spent some time watching some highlights since I wasn't too familiar. I definitely see the potential as a future running mate with Donovan. He seemed to have good size for the position. I'm not sure everything translates to the NBA, but I think the following should:

- catch and shoot (has NBA range)
- calm under pressure, good decision maker

I think his potential could end up tied to how well his defense translates to the NBA. Even so, I think his floor is a decent backup point guard which is pretty sweet with pick #40.

Sounds like you just wanna dig your heals in to me but that's your right.

Before tonight the Jazz had dick for assets or talent in the coming years and now they have something to work with. I congratulate you if you never thought that was a big deal because that sounds like a nice reality to live in. I think they got a promising start to resolving a cataclysmic issue that's been brewing.
Well they also unloaded a first to drop salary. So gain a 2nd, lose a 1st. Sounds like a net loss to me. If that's a win to you that must be a nice reality to live it. Unfortunately most of us live in the real world where throwing away assets to dump salary is a bad thing only slightly offset by getting an extra 2nd and drafting the clone of 1 guy you already have and 1 guy you are preparing to overpay for.

I read that we traded 30th pick for the 40th pick, 2 future second round picks, and future considerations. Do we know what the 'other considerations' were in the trade with Memphis?

Alright, I’m just gonna go there:

If Butler comes roaring out of the gates, how expendable does Clarkson (or Conley for that matter...) become? And who could the Jazz trade for to better balance the roster?

If Butler comes roaring out of the gates, how expendable does Clarkson (or Conley for that matter...) become? And who could the Jazz trade for to better balance the roster?
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that we will not replace the sixth man of the year with a rookie we drafted with the 40th pick. We are more likely to get something out of Doke or Hughes than Butler this year.

Butler was a really good pick. But he is more likely to become Trey Burke than Jordan Clarkson. His inability to get to the hoop against NBA talent worries me.

How about trading Bojan and Ingles instead?

I think Conley is the more expendable one (if he even signs with us). Clarkson is on a great contract and he gives our bench such a needed scoring punch.