What's new

Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks at 9

Sometimes it's hard to view these dudes as being as young as they are because they are so physically developed and tall, but when you see some pizza faced dude like Hendricks it reminds you these are some young *** dudes.

I guess the thing that most intrigues me with Hendricks is just what direction he goes w/ his body. Will it really fill out and get into the 230's that will allow him to be a more dangerous finisher/basket attacker through contact and really open up his small-ball 5 potential, or will he kind of remain in mid to upper teens where he's more focused on being perimeter based to help w/ lateral quickness on defense?

UCF vs Memphis 1/11/23:

I can only stomach one half at a time, I will watch the 2H later.

1H

Summary:
- Athletically superior to everyone else on the court, it's obvious
- Is generally an "over helper". Gets caught ball watching a lot, but is able to recover with his extreme athletic advantage
- Upright on closeouts, but again makes up for it with athleticism
- UCF offense has no drive and kick. His three's come off of his shooting versatility which is nice. Think he will get a lot more opportunities at the pro level.
- Had a few post up possessions, don't believe in it.
- Good engagement on defense/box outs. Multiple action defender
- Good defensive hands
- Rock solid in switching situations, although MEM guards don't feel threatening to begin with

- First play (of the video) semi contested movement three early in the clock. Doesn't go in, but shows he has a quick trigger.
- Defense gambles, Hendricks makes the easy pass for an assist
- Plays a switching scheme off the ball, miscommunication with teammates but it doesn't lead to anything for MEM
- Another switching defensive possession, looks like he's a second slow on each action....gets beat off the dribble on closeout, but his recovery is good enough it doesn't matter.
- MEM rolling with the 5 in the paint offense
- Almost gets outhustled, but did just enough to prevent pick 6
- Clearly communicating to his teammates on defense. Stuffs one drive, switches onto the guard and stuffs that drive too. MEM guard hits a tough shot but good defense.
- Good initial help defense, but gets caught ball watching and got beat in closeout situation
- Good contested rebound through traffic, man's rebound
- Gets caught ball watching again on defense, but it turns into a steal?
- Set play gives him an off the dribble three, doesn't go in but nice look
- Good closeout defense this time, very engaged defensive possession.
- Creates deflection and turnover in help defense
- Post up possession.....gets double teamed against zone. Finds the open man for an assist. Nice calm read.
- Post up on the other side of the basket this time. Double comes, but he shoots over the defense and scores.
- UCF in a matchup zone now, Hendricks helps down on roller. Decent rotation but MEM scores anyways.
- Next play a little flat footed and gives up tip in. Next, next play just gets outhustled again for another second chance MEM score.
- UCF breaks the full court press. Open 3 for Hendricks in a scramble situation, misses.
- Good weakside off the ball defense in matchup zone coverage
- UCF guards ****ing suck
- Ball watching again, gets beat on back door cut
- After a rest, he subs back in and is playing C. Let's go!
- Broken play, finds the loose ball and finishes open layup
- Switching PnR defense, stuffs the drive but his teammates let him down
- Post up possession, no double team this team. MEM defender flops and gets the call.
- Another switching PnR defensive possession, MEM guard doesn't challenge him.
- Worst full court press of all time from MEM leads to lop opportunity for Hendricks. UCF guard throws a terrible pass though and it's deflected.
- Another post up offensive possession. Travels and gets away with it....throws up a brick that only hits the backboard Couldn't handle the physicality.
- Intercepts a lob attempt in semi transition, bad pass but showed good athleticism nonetheless
- Closeout situation, jabs the defender for a quick step back. Hits it in his face. Next play gets a block on his second jump. Great two way sequence.

UCF vs Memphis 1/11/23:

I can only stomach one half at a time, I will watch the 2H later.

1H

Summary:
- Athletically superior to everyone else on the court, it's obvious
- Is generally an "over helper". Gets caught ball watching a lot, but is able to recover with his extreme athletic advantage
- Upright on closeouts, but again makes up for it with athleticism
- UCF offense has no drive and kick. His three's come off of his shooting versatility which is nice. Think he will get a lot more opportunities at the pro level.
- Had a few post up possessions, don't believe in it.
- Good engagement on defense/box outs. Multiple action defender
- Good defensive hands
- Rock solid in switching situations, although MEM guards don't feel threatening to begin with

- First play (of the video) semi contested movement three early in the clock. Doesn't go in, but shows he has a quick trigger.
- Defense gambles, Hendricks makes the easy pass for an assist
- Plays a switching scheme off the ball, miscommunication with teammates but it doesn't lead to anything for MEM
- Another switching defensive possession, looks like he's a second slow on each action....gets beat off the dribble on closeout, but his recovery is good enough it doesn't matter.
- MEM rolling with the 5 in the paint offense
- Almost gets outhustled, but did just enough to prevent pick 6
- Clearly communicating to his teammates on defense. Stuffs one drive, switches onto the guard and stuffs that drive too. MEM guard hits a tough shot but good defense.
- Good initial help defense, but gets caught ball watching and got beat in closeout situation
- Good contested rebound through traffic, man's rebound
- Gets caught ball watching again on defense, but it turns into a steal?
- Set play gives him an off the dribble three, doesn't go in but nice look
- Good closeout defense this time, very engaged defensive possession.
- Creates deflection and turnover in help defense
- Post up possession.....gets double teamed against zone. Finds the open man for an assist. Nice calm read.
- Post up on the other side of the basket this time. Double comes, but he shoots over the defense and scores.
- UCF in a matchup zone now, Hendricks helps down on roller. Decent rotation but MEM scores anyways.
- Next play a little flat footed and gives up tip in. Next, next play just gets outhustled again for another second chance MEM score.
- UCF breaks the full court press. Open 3 for Hendricks in a scramble situation, misses.
- Good weakside off the ball defense in matchup zone coverage
- UCF guards ****ing suck
- Ball watching again, gets beat on back door cut
- After a rest, he subs back in and is playing C. Let's go!
- Broken play, finds the loose ball and finishes open layup
- Switching PnR defense, stuffs the drive but his teammates let him down
- Post up possession, no double team this team. MEM defender flops and gets the call.
- Another switching PnR defensive possession, MEM guard doesn't challenge him.
- Worst full court press of all time from MEM leads to lop opportunity for Hendricks. UCF guard throws a terrible pass though and it's deflected.
- Another post up offensive possession. Travels and gets away with it....throws up a brick that only hits the backboard Couldn't handle the physicality.
- Intercepts a lob attempt in semi transition, bad pass but showed good athleticism nonetheless
- Closeout situation, jabs the defender for a quick step back. Hits it in his face. Next play gets a block on his second jump. Great two way sequence.

You typed up all that?

Wow.

ngl, I'm kind of dreading watching more Hendricks film because it's so boring. He's just not nearly as involved as Keyonte and Brice.

ngl, I'm kind of dreading watching more Hendricks film because it's so boring. He's just not nearly as involved as Keyonte and Brice.
that's how it was watching ucf during the season. it was hard to watch those games because he'd go such long stretches without touching the ball and they had some guards that love to chuck. kind of impressive that he managed 15 points a game with how little it seemed he was involved.

that's how it was watching ucf during the season. it was hard to watch those games because he'd go such long stretches without touching the ball and they had some guards that love to chuck. kind of impressive that he managed 15 points a game with how little it seemed he was involved.
Yeah, boring isn't necessarily bad.....but everyone else on that team is really bad it's hard to watch. UCF has only a few basic sets they run, but when they lineup and have both bigs (Hendricks included) standing on the two low boxes I just know it will never amount to anything. What is the point of that? Just let him space out to the corner. College basketball freaking sucks lol.

Brice and Keyonte are also two of the highest usage guys in the draft so it's a huge contrast. Those guys will dribble the ball more on one possession than Hendricks will in one whole half.

Hendricks matches John Collins super close on physical profile (height, wingspan, reach, vertical). Hendricks projects to be a better defender and 3 point shooter though. Collins probably a bit better rebounder all around scorer.

If anyone can find the full game to any of these games let me know. These are his highest FGA games and I don't want to watch 35 minutes of him standing around on offense.

1687552370087.png

Honestly just hope we develop him to be Robert Covington 2.0 w/ added bonus of improved off-ball finishing.
Robert Covington never averaged more than 15 points and has always been a weak rebounder and is a career 36% three point shooter. I'd hope that Covington is the actual damn floor and not some sort of aspirational goal.

I took this afternoon off and have wasted it watching Hendricks videos. Really wished he would have played for a better team. I love how his three point shooting is spread out and not just from the corner. His passing is pretty woeful, but at the same token, I'm not sure he SHOULD have been passing that often. He is more athletic than I thought, and has a pretty quick defensive bounce. It is quite evident the amount of coaching that has been put into a Walker Kessler as opposed to Hendricks. All of his rim protection relies on athleticism rather than craft (like Kessler.)

Overall, despite the polished three point shooting, he is raw as Hell. I can see how the Jazz feel like they can mold him into something better as there are parts of his game that are just bad habits from being undercoached (Nobody goes to Central Florida for the development.) I also see that a lot of what ails him is going to be swallowed up by playing with Kessler and Lauri, and his "hotspots" mesh with their shooting charts beautifully.

He's going to get some D league time. I'd bet we keep Olynyk around for a bit.