What's new

Jazz Exit Interviews

Does improving the team with a big FA to the point where other key roleplayers want to come here too factor into his equation ie Houston? Creating momentum of the group, etc. Not to mention the benefits it'd have for Donovan. If he fails this off-season, oof. What a failure.

Agreed. Once one big guy is brought in, let's say Conley, and the roster clearly appears on the cusp, one or two key free agents may come here, to chase a ring, and at discounted price. It happens all the time.

Part of his thinking, and I'm spitballing here, may have been that no one is beating the Warriors this year, and likely next year (though that may not be the case now with the Knicks rumors), so did it make much sense to overpay for an aging Conley? Maybe he thought it prudent to NOT overpay this past deadline, and see in the summer of 2019 who opts in and out and is renounced pre-free agency, and then attack from there. Why lock in to Conley if we didn't have to and could go after a bigger, younger name?

Okay, I jest, I jest. Name one big name non-foreign player, not from Alaska free agent who's signed here in the last 20 years!

But seriously, it made some sense. Maybe we can get someone else (not maing 30M+ and 31 years old) or Conley for less now knowing the Grizz very well might want to go full tank all season by playing their young guys major minutes.

Part of his thinking, and I'm spitballing here, may have been that no one is beating the Warriors this year, and likely next year (though that may not be the case now with the Knicks rumors), so did it make much sense to overpay for an aging Conley? Maybe he thought it prudent to NOT overpay this past deadline, and see in the summer of 2019 who opts in and out and is renounced pre-free agency, and then attack from there. Why lock in to Conley if we didn't have to and could go after a bigger, younger name?

Okay, I jest, I jest. Name one big name non-foreign player, not from Alaska free agent who's signed here in the last 20 years!

But seriously, it made some sense. Maybe we can get someone else or Conley for less now knowing the Grizz very well might want to go full tank all season playing their young guys major minutes.
He would have grabbed Conley if he could have. He let the leak of the trade loom over the team for two weeks. He basically told them "yeah, here's our offer, take as much time as you need." Us not trading for Conley wasn't because we chose not to (unless you count refusing to include Exum as "choosing not to"), but he's tried to cash in on that, such as saying that he valued chemistry and that's why they ultimately decided not to make a move at the deadline. That's false. Had Memphis called on the last day and said "we'll take your offer," we would have moved whoever we had offered.

He would have grabbed Conley if he could have. He let the leak of the trade loom over the team for two weeks. He basically told them "yeah, here's our offer, take as much time as you need." Us not trading for Conley wasn't because we chose not to (unless you count refusing to include Exum as "choosing not to"), but he's tried to cash in on that, such as saying that he valued chemistry and that's why they ultimately decided not to make a move at the deadline. That's false. Had Memphis called on the last day and said "we'll take your offer," we would have moved whoever we had offered.

I do count not including Exum as choosing not to.

I do count not including Exum as choosing not to.
I bet he wishes he could take that decision back. I've consistently said that we walk out of the gas station with a lottery ticket and refuse to sell it to someone offering us $100 for it. It only took us a week or two after the deadline to scratch that ticket and wish we had a do-over.

I mean, maybe **** hits the fan in Oaktown and Klay says, **** this, I like this Spida cat. I'd play with him. I've been underappreciated here. I can make a bigger mark in Utah. Bring a title to a place that's never had one. Create my own legacy.

Yeah, that could happen. It could.

I mean, maybe **** hits the fan in Oaktown and Klay says, **** this, I like this Spida cat. I'd play with him. I've been underappreciated here. I can make a bigger mark in Utah. Bring a title to a place that's never had one. Create my own legacy.

Yeah, that could happen. It could.
It could, but I think people would get pissed when we see him as a rich man's Wally Szczerbiak.

How far back did the George Hill & Rubio situations set us back really? Probably enormously. Terrible moves.

I bet he wishes he could take that decision back. I've consistently said that we walk out of the gas station with a lottery ticket and refuse to sell it to someone offering us $100 for it. It only took us a week or two after the deadline to scratch that ticket and wish we had a do-over.

Listen, I'm in the **** Rxum crowd, but I can see his decision making. Rxum was turning a corner. And now, he turned that corner so hard, he's hurt again.

So yeah, hopefully the positive talk on Rxum is only that. Talk. I don't give a **** how hard the kids works. They all should work hard. If he can't stay healthy and he can't play basketball, what the ****s the point? Trade him.

Listen, I'm in the **** Rxum crowd, but I can see his decision making. Rxum was turning a corner. And now, he turned that corner so hard, he's hurt again.

So yeah, hopefully the positive talk on Rxum is only that. Talk. I don't give a **** how hard the kids works. They all should work hard. If he can't stay healthy and he can't play basketball, what the ****s the point? Trade him.
(better yet, don't bother committing $10 million a year over three years to a guy that never proved a damn thing in the first place)

Talk all the **** you want about Gordon Hayward; the fact is he was arguably the most efficient star player in the league the year he left, and his struggles in Boston have largely been about a freak injury. Let's not forget that Lindsey failed to either read the situation and get something for him or get him to come back.

He gets one more season to figure this out.

I've been saying this for a while... Quin is the engine that is driving the recent Jazz success, not Lindsay. Quin's blender offense gets open shots, but Lindsay has failed to get the correct personnel. It'd be like a Peyton Manning offense being 80% run / 20% pass. The lack of 3 point shooting is on Lindsay, not Quin.

Lindsay got lucky with Gobert and Donovan. The Gobert situation was a 1/1000 occurrence. Donovan had a great showing at his workout with the Jazz (more so than his other workouts). Him trading to get Donovan was a good move, but what else has he done? Trade away Taurean Prince (who is exactly what the Jazz need) for a one year rental in George Hill? Drafted Trey Burke? Jazz still don't have the PG situation figured out... He failed to both A) trade Hayward for anything and B) convince him to stay. Korver and Crowder like trades don't move the needle.

I agree with many of the other posters. 3 strikes and you're out. This off-season is his last shot.