What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

In the Dunc'd On Podcast offseason mock draft Favors got 1 years 8 Mil and Exum took his qualifying offer.

I recommend folks listen... These guys understand the cap and the salary constraints this summer are going to have a deep impact... folks are going to flip out over how little some FA get. If the Jazz play hardball Favs at 1 for 8M is realistic. Teams don't have space to sign anything more than MLE this summer and many teams won't be doing that. We may want to hold our exceptions until the end of FA and look for huge bargains.

I would love to have Favors back, like to have Exum back, both for the right price.
I would be amazed/shocked but dream of having PG here.
If we got PG and Favors I'd probably cash in my 401K to buy season tickets for the next 6 years to life.

I have no clue how this off season will go.

I would love to have Favors back, like to have Exum back, both for the right price.
I would be amazed/shocked but dream of having PG here.
If we got PG and Favors I'd probably cash in my 401K to buy season tickets for the next 6 years to life.

I have no clue how this off season will go.

Wouldn't blame you on that. Problem is, unless PG opted in on his contract to facilitate a trade to the Jazz, I'm not really sure how Utah could retain both. A trade around Burks, Crowder, Jerebko, and a first would work pretty easily capwise, but I doubt OKC would buy into that.

Exum taking the QO would surprise me. Gotta think he wants some sort of long-term security, and I think the Jazz are willing to pay enough on a multi-year deal where he'll be comfortable with it. Obviously, it's a trade off if he explodes this season and sacrifices big UFA $ next year, but it's a real risk.

Sure as hell wish I was making that decision for myself this summer.

In the Dunc'd On Podcast offseason mock draft Favors got 1 years 8 Mil and Exum took his qualifying offer.

Favors for one year at only 8 million would be amazing, absolute best case scenario. I would love to have Exum at only 4 million but if he signs the qualifying offer and then has a huge season, we're either going to end losing him in free agency next year or having to pay him a lot of money.

I would definitely give Exum what he wanted from Orlando in that podcast. I also think the Jazz will give Favors more if he's to stay.

This is good news I guess. We can always rescind the offer to Neto and Niang if we need to. Neto has a $1.8 million cap hold.

As for the Favors for 1 year and $8 million, I would do that. I don't believe he is the best for us long term, but I would do that deal. I'd probably go to $10 million but cap it there considering how many teams can't spend more than $8.6 this year.

I cannot imagine Exum taking his QO.

Easily I can …….Exum is probably in the best shape of his life and has seen what he can do in the NBA.Taking the QO and having FA the following year at 23 yrs old will make up for his low pay this upcoming season.

Favors is still so damn underrated. . .
I think he was easily worth the 12Mil per he got, wouldn't hate him getting 15 and think he would prove himself worth it. I have a hard time seeing the numbers happen though.
I hope we find a way to make it work to keep him, unless we can get PG... then that's 1st priority.

Do these QO's mean there is less of a chance of having the numbers work for someone big, not saying any would come, but I'm curious.

I think he was easily worth the 12Mil per he got, wouldn't hate him getting 15 and think he would prove himself worth it. I have a hard time seeing the numbers happen though.
I hope we find a way to make it work to keep him, unless we can get PG... then that's 1st priority.

Do these QO's mean there is less of a chance of having the numbers work for someone big, not saying any would come, but I'm curious.
Spoiler: Nobody big is coming this offseason.

I think Favors had a pretty fair contract this last time considering the amount of time he's been hurt during the contract. We didn't overpay him like some did, but he did get a decent contract all things considering.

I think Favors had a pretty fair contract this last time considering the amount of time he's been hurt during the contract. We didn't overpay him like some did, but he did get a decent contract all things considering.

Agreed. I think Favors and the Jazz have a pretty comfortable relationship and both are happy. Favors only issue his lack of a long range shot. If he improves it, he'll have value beyond his prime. I don't know how to address the situation really. I love Favors and love what he brings to the Jazz and would be very happy if they resigned him for a reasonable deal. But if Derrick got an obscene offer from another team, then I sure as hell wouldn't begrudge him that.