What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

Here's my predictions for the rest of the summer/training camp:

Will Barton leaves Denver, so the Jazz trade Burks for Faried + 2nd Rounder.
Jazz keep Thabo, Dante, Favors, and Jerebko
Jazz waive Udoh and let Neto sign elsewhere
Jazz sign NWG to a multi-year minimum contract to compete with Stockton for the 3rd PG job
Kelan Martin wins the battle of the UDFA to claim the final roster spot.

The depth chart ends up looking like this:

PG Rubio, Exum, NWG
SG Mitchell, Royce, Allen
SF Ingles, Thabo, Kelan Martin
PF Favors, Jerebko/Crowder
C Gobert, Faried, Bradley

The Pacers just declined a $4.3 million option on Lance Stephenson. They are going to target Barton and Tyreke Evans in free agency.

Orlando didn't pick up Mack's $6 million.

I'm telling you guys, $5.5 for Thabo is bad business.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Here's my predictions for the rest of the summer/training camp:

Will Barton leaves Denver, so the Jazz trade Burks for Faried + 2nd Rounder.
Jazz keep Thabo, Dante, Favors, and Jerebko
Jazz waive Udoh and let Neto sign elsewhere
Jazz sign NWG to a multi-year minimum contract to compete with Stockton for the 3rd PG job
Kelan Martin wins the battle of the UDFA to claim the final roster spot.

The depth chart ends up looking like this:

PG Rubio, Exum, NWG
SG Mitchell, Royce, Allen
SF Ingles, Thabo, Kelan Martin
PF Favors, Jerebko/Crowder
C Gobert, Faried, Bradley

What's the point of the Faried deal when it's cheaper to keep Udoh and Burks?

#1.) Waive Sefalosha. $5.5 million is too much for a guy his age coming off a serious injury and with a suspension on top of it. I’d re-visit him later.

#2.) Push hard to get a meeting with Paul George. If he buys in, it changes everything else. Since that’s a long-shot, I don’t make my plans based on what PG13 decides.

#3.) After Paul George decides to go elsewhere, I focus on bringing back Favors and Exum on team friendly deals. I want to maintain our great team depth and chemistry without overpaying. Hopefully both of those guys are back on value deals.

#4.) Use part of the MLE to get a young, offensive minded wing or forward to add one firepower to the bench. Top 3 would be Mario Hezonja, Joe Harris or Tyreke Evans.

#5.) I’d probably keep Jerebko and Udoh for depth and expiring contracts to match salary for a deadline trade if an opportunity presents itself. Then either Neto or Sefalosha on a one year minimum deal.

#6.) I’d try to trade Burks for Carroll. I think DMC is a better fit, without jacking up future salary cap space. Nets save $4 million and we probably have to kick in some 2nd round picks.

Gobert / Udoh / Bradley
Favors / Crowder / Hezonja
Jingles / Carroll / Jerebko
Mitchell / O’Neale / Allen
Rubio / Exum

Last edited:
Think the Jazz are still looking for shooting and a PF with range and ability to move the ball. What happened to the Bjelica discussion? If we get Tobias Harris in a year, he can be a backup.

I like Selfolosha, but i forgot about the suspension. Thats alot to overcome for an old guy coming off an injury.

If Utah thinks we aren't going big in FA, I think he might be picked up. At worst, he's a bargain player that mentors DM (who has said as much) and can be used as a trade chip at the deadline. Guys like BJelly can be had for the MLE, which we'd have if Exum and Favors are brought back. I expect the Jazz to move quickly on the 1st to get things lined up as much as possible. Besides, it's not like he's suspended forever. It's a couple of games for some Mary Jane. Honestly, I think it's kind of BS.

Bring back Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe. Sign Exum to 8 to 10 Mil. And sign Favors to a 1 year deal between 18 to 22 mil. Sign Neto or NWG as the 3rd Pg.

Use Favors, Burks, Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh for bait at the trade deadline.

Sent from my SM-G960U using JazzFanz mobile app

Bring back Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe. Sign Exum to 8 to 10 Mil. And sign Favors to a 1 year deal between 18 to 22 mil. Sign Neto or NWG as the 3rd Pg.

Use Favors, Burks, Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh for bait at the trade deadline.
Overall, I like this approach. . . But I’d probably to sign Favors to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Overall, I like this approach. . . But I’d probably to sign Favors to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Nah... it's one year deal or nothing. What if he gets hurt and now you have no 2019 space?

Nah... it's one year deal or nothing. What if he gets hurt and now you have no 2019 space?
I think the hype over 2019 cap space is overblown. If I could get him locked into a deal like Jingles that starts reasonable and goes down every year. . . I’d jump at it. I just think that the Jazz are going to have to trade for their 3rd star, and you can’t do that without comparable salary and assets. I think Favors gives you both.

I think the hype over 2019 cap space is overblown. If I could get him locked into a deal like Jingles that starts reasonable and goes down every year. . . I’d jump at it. I just think that the Jazz are going to have to trade for their 3rd star, and you can’t do that without comparable salary and assets. I think Favors gives you both.

Maybe... the knee stuff just worries me... if he signs a 4/45 or something similar he is at least tradeable for a dump... if healthy.

The 2019 FA class has some guys that aren't "stars" that would fit so well they'd have a star effect imo. Middleton/Harris/Niko are great examples... but I am convinced that if we'd play with a shooting 4 that we'd have so much more space.

If we add 2019 salary it needs to be tradeable salary.

If we signed him for a good deal over 4 years like that it would be good for our team and would be a very very tradeable contract in the future if we want to go another way.

Why would we want to sign him to 3 or 4 years? Are we satisfied with keeping this team together long term, being a 4 or 5 seed and winning one series in the playoffs? Or, do we want to do everything we can to try and compete with the elite teams of the west and try to make a run to get to the finals eventually? I'm not saying we will ever get there but I'd rather try and go down swinging than be content with being a team that's always a tier below the best teams in the league.

The 2019 FA class has some guys that aren't "stars" that would fit so well they'd have a star effect imo. Middleton/Harris/Niko are great examples... but I am convinced that if we'd play with a shooting 4 that we'd have so much more space.

I couldn't agree more! Plus we know that Niko is interested in playing for the Jazz and under Quin, according to a lot of reports around the trade deadline we were his top choice to be traded to. Locke has also mentioned a couple of times that he's heard Harris would be interested in playing for the Jazz. We might not end up with Klay Thompson, but I feel very confident that we can land a very good free agent next summer. If we give Favors a long term contract we might as well kiss our chance at Middleton, Harris, and Niko goodbye.