What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

Signing Favors to a 4 year deal making $10+ per year is a very bad idea. And I propose dumb ideas often.

We have 2 elite players on this team. We have one player under contract who is an elite shooter and good all around player. You don't give a long term contract to somebody who doesn't have an elite skill. Its simply bad business.

Go out there on the contenders and show me a big man on their roster making $10+ who is elite at nothing. You can't find him because he doesn't exist on a contender.

Favors would become our Nick Collison.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Signing Favors to a 4 year deal making $10+ per year is a very bad idea. And I propose dumb ideas often.

We have 2 elite players on this team. We have one player under contract who is an elite shooter and good all around player. You don't give a long term contract to somebody who doesn't have an elite skill. Its simply bad business.

Go out there on the contenders and show me a big man on their roster making $10+ who is elite at nothing. You can't find him because he doesn't exist on a contender.

Favors would become our Nick Collison.

i

Ryan Anderson is the reason why Houston cannot contend. His contract suffocates improvement. And he is an elite shooter, but still kills his team.

With the lack of space out there for dumps... having bit size contracts attached to guys that can actually play may pay off... so Jonas, Thabo, Udoh (Neto on a smallish deal), because you can take back up to $5M more in salary in a trade... that delta will be meaningful to a lot of teams. Trade can be made midseason too and still slash the full tax amount.

I don't think we have to focus solely on getting cap space if we want to play the saving salary game.

Ryan Anderson is the reason why Houston cannot contend. His contract suffocates improvement. And he is an elite shooter, but still kills his team.

No argument. But there is a big difference between Favors @ 10m vs Anderson @20m. Favors is a superior player to Anderson, except in terms of FT and 3p. But Derrick produces more at a better price and has a greater impact on the Jazz. Favors isn't an all-star, but he's a hella nice "role player" who fills a niche on the Jazz. If we get him back for 10m per? Yeah, I'm good with that. He may not start, but he'd be a perfectly fine backup 4 and 5 with the skillsets to do both equally well.

Last edited:
The Pistons just landed Sidney Lowe and here we are just sitting on our hands.

FML

I’m in the minority, but I love the Gobert/Favors frontcourt. Hope they keep it intact.
i'm with you. what we did this year works, gives flexibility in lineups, team chemistry is great. Favs is a great dude and wants to be in Utah. The negatives are a little overblown and to be frank i still can't see a real top tier max dude signing there.

The truth of the matter is this - we have the chance to gain a big asset if we preserve cap space so another team can dump salary on us. If its one year of Favors to give this season the ole college try or get a long term asset, I go asset. I really like what this core can do in the playoffs:

PG Rubio, Exum
SG Donovan, Grayson
SF Ingles, O'Neale
PF Crowder
C Gobert, Bradley

In the Dunc'd On Podcast offseason mock draft Favors got 1 years 8 Mil and Exum took his qualifying offer.