What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I have already been over the numbers. There are only 2 teams in the NBA who can and would take Burks' contract. Atlanta or Chicago maybe.

We are better served putting Burks with cap space to get something than give something to dump Burks.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

We’d be better off keeping AB and preserving our 2019 space... teams will pay a premium to clear space for 2018... the cap jump will mean less teams are willing to pay to take LT money.

DM is absolutely going to bring someone here... we’ve never had a recruiter like him... he knows everybody... most seem to like him and he has so much charisma and polish... even if it is just Middleton, Tobias, or Niko it is huge to get something for nothing... especially when you are in our position.

Clearing Burks by using Bradley would be a dynamite move. At the very least, we may draft someone in the second round next year!

How about this trade... we send AB and TB (and cash considerations) to Atlanta for Muscala (creates 6.5M in space) and get a second round pick.

HH - you just gave the two reasons why we should do a trade this summer:

#1 - teams will pay a premium to clear space in 2018

and

#2 - there is a cap jump for 2019

I love DM and I do think he can recruit for us down the road. However, I fail to see the player he is bringing us in 2019. I keep hearing about this 2019 space, but who is the target? With the cap jumping, teams will match on every restricted free agent. The unrestricted batch is not that strong or realistic for us anyway.

Take advantage of our cap space and get another asset.

Atlanta doesn't want AB and Bradley. Jeez guys. We would have to throw them a 1st for them to take Burks. Y'all don't realize it but Atlanta's cap space is so strong. There will be so many teams wanting to shed cap this summer.

HH - you just gave the two reasons why we should do a trade this summer:

#1 - teams will pay a premium to clear space in 2018

and

#2 - there is a cap jump for 2019

I love DM and I do think he can recruit for us down the road. However, I fail to see the player he is bringing us in 2019. I keep hearing about this 2019 space, but who is the target? With the cap jumping, teams will match on every restricted free agent. The unrestricted batch is not that strong or realistic for us anyway.

Take advantage of our cap space and get another asset.

Teams will pay a premium for 2018, but unless we go scorched earth we can't get anything meaningful... to then use that to get draft picks would send a ****** message to the team. Letting Favs, Thabo, jonas, Udoh, all walk to take on Faried and get a 2019 pick aint worth it. We then have minimums and like a $5M exception to fill out the roster... not great.

Atlanta doesn't want AB and Bradley. Jeez guys. We would have to throw them a 1st for them to take Burks. Y'all don't realize it but Atlanta's cap space is so strong. There will be so many teams wanting to shed cap this summer.

Really????? Don't throw stones LoPo... I don't think they'd do AB and TB for space, but AB and TB for Muscala? IDK... only costs $6.5M.

NY isn't giving up their draft capital to offload Noah... same with Orlando and Biyombo... Washington and Ian.... acquiring a mid first rounder in 2019 to take on dead 2018 money aint worth it.

The 2019 class has quite a few guys that we can absolutely get... keep the powder dry and build.

You say that with such certainty. I will be bumping this thread in a week or so.

K and literally nothing will have changed. Randle is a ****** defender... Favors is not. Neither guy stretches the floor... Randle is fine but he's more of a 5 than a 4. Take the guy you know that you can actually sign (we can't offer Randle 15M without some maneuvering.)

I'm not great at pegging draft prospects but I've done well projecting cap and contract stuff.

K and literally nothing will have changed. Randle is a ****** defender... Favors is not. Neither guy stretches the floor... Randle is fine but he's more of a 5 than a 4. Take the guy you know that you can actually sign (we can't offer Randle 15M without some maneuvering.)

I'm not great at pegging draft prospects but I've done well projecting cap and contract stuff.

Lol we can’t offer George, Parker, or Gordon a ton of money without some maneuvering either. You’re basically saying we won’t even call Randle’s agent. I don’t buy that at all because of the four guys I mentioned he’s actually the easiest to obtain.

Assuming Favors gets offers for the full MLE plus maximum raises from at least two teams - that’s what? $37 million over four years? Jazz could easily beat that with a deal similar to what they gave Jingles (probably even less than that) and have it become a value deal when the cap jumps again.

Assuming Favors gets offers for the full MLE plus maximum raises from at least two teams - that’s what? $37 million over four years? Jazz could easily beat that with a deal similar to what they gave Jingles (probably even less than that) and have it become a value deal when the cap jumps again.

I could be totally wrong but no way does Favors sign for less than 10M a year. I could easily see a team like Atlanta offer him a 3-year 45M contract.

Okay, we have talked about the loyalty thing. And I get the argument. However, we need to break every player down individually:

Thabo - $5.5 is a terrible number for him. Thats a lot of money for a guy. Sure, he was a good vet for a while and a mentor for a while. But this is a business and he has a bad deal.

Udoh is only worth keeping if Favors leaves. Whats the point of using a 1st on Bradley if we dont give him a chance?

So right there, we make an easy business decision saving either $8.5 (Thabo and Udoh) or more (Thabo and Favors).

We arent just dumping guys for uncertain targets. We dump guys based off of good business.

The good thing is that we have the whole Moratorium and 3 days of free agency to know if we need to keep Jerekbo or Udoh. If nothing shapes up, we keep them. If we might have a big deal available and Favors leaves us, bye bye Jerekbo and Udoh.

Lol we can’t offer George, Parker, or Gordon a ton of money without some maneuvering either. You’re basically saying we won’t even call Randle’s agent. I don’t buy that at all because of the four guys I mentioned he’s actually the easiest to obtain.

I'm basically saying we won't maneuver at all and will run it back with our guys... and that if we did maneuver it wouldn't be for a guy who provides a lot of the same things we already have in Favors... plus defense. We won't call his agent imo... definitely not signing him.

unless Favs signs with Dallas his best money options are a sign and trade or one year deal with us (at a high salary). I think there is a 50/50 shot he stays put... would set the over under at 1 year 15M. If Dallas misses on all their targets a 4/50-60 could be there.

Atlanta, Chicago, are in asset acquisition mode and will use their space for assets not good players... in fact they want to be bad so Favs is really counter productive.

Saying Randle and Favors are the same is just lazy. Randle is a better offensive player. He can handle the ball and is a threat on the break. Neither Gobert or Favors can handle the ball or is a threat on the break.

Yes, Favors is a better defensive player. But, Randle is younger and a better offensive player and our team already has the best defender and rim protector in the league. Randle is the type player we could get and keep for 10 years. Who knows, maybe he plays a massive role for us down the road when Gobert gets old.

I think Favors is a perfect fit for Atlanta. They need stability and a center. They need anybody who will help sell tickets.

A 3 year, $27-30 million contract for Atlanta is a good deal. Doesn't get them out of the cellar, but provides stability for young star Trae Young.