What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I'm conflicted. Do we think we are truly contenders this year staying as is and just adding Grayson? If so, stick it out one more year. I'm an optimist, but I don't believe we can beat Golden State or some others with what we currently have. And more importantly, I don't feel that Thabo, Jerekbo, Neto, Udoh and even Favors are going to be part of the long term solution either. If you honestly feel that we can beat Golden State or others as constructed, disregard the following.

Based off of the numbers I posted before about the lack of teams with space, I think we should get aggressive. We should be opportunistic. I honestly don't think we need Thabo, Udoh, Jerkebo, Neto or Stockton to contend next year. If we let those guys go, we can sign similar replacements after we use the rest of our cap elsewhere. I love how they fit in the locker room, but we only need Jerekbo and Thabo for emergencies. And if I'm not mistaken, if we decline their options, we can re-sign them later right.

Aggressive Financial Approach:
- Let Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo, Neto and Stockton go.
- Sign Exum to a deal making around $8 million. It might not even take that much.
- Let Favors go elsewhere.
= $11+ million in cap space

Options with $11 Million of Cap Space:
- Big Trade: If you add Burks ($11.5) and maybe even Bradley ($1.5) to the $11 million in space, we have some very big trade opportunities.
- Small Trade: We could take a contract that another team is trying to dump and pick up an asset in the process. Jarred Bayless, Dellavedova, etc.
- Sign a Free Agent: if only 7 teams can spend more than the MLE ($8.6) on any player, we could be buyers. Let's use Julius Randle as an example. In a usual year, Randle would be a $12-18 million a year type player. This year, we could offer him $11 and that might be the best he can get. Who knows, maybe Jabari Parker accepts an $11 million deal with us and Milwaukee decides to decline the option because they are so broke.

After we use our space on a free agent or a trade, we then sign players as we get over the cap. We could sign a guy like Jerami Grant, Hezonja, Mbah a Moute, Jerekbo, Ilyasova, Belinelli, Thabo, Beasley, etc. using the MLE or BAE.

We should pursue a big trade. Even if we take a contract that goes into 2019, make a trade. We are in a very unique position to pick up asset. Only Atlanta and maybe the Bulls are in a position to pick up a great asset by taking salary.

I'm conflicted. Do we think we are truly contenders this year staying as is and just adding Grayson? If so, stick it out one more year. I'm an optimist, but I don't believe we can beat Golden State or some others with what we currently have. And more importantly, I don't feel that Thabo, Jerekbo, Neto, Udoh and even Favors are going to be part of the long term solution either. If you honestly feel that we can beat Golden State or others as constructed, disregard the following.

Based off of the numbers I posted before about the lack of teams with space, I think we should get aggressive. We should be opportunistic. I honestly don't think we need Thabo, Udoh, Jerkebo, Neto or Stockton to contend next year. If we let those guys go, we can sign similar replacements after we use the rest of our cap elsewhere. I love how they fit in the locker room, but we only need Jerekbo and Thabo for emergencies. And if I'm not mistaken, if we decline their options, we can re-sign them later right.

Aggressive Financial Approach:
- Let Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo, Neto and Stockton go.
- Sign Exum to a deal making around $8 million. It might not even take that much.
- Let Favors go elsewhere.
= $11+ million in cap space

Options with $11 Million of Cap Space:
- Big Trade: If you add Burks ($11.5) and maybe even Bradley ($1.5) to the $11 million in space, we have some very big trade opportunities.
- Small Trade: We could take a contract that another team is trying to dump and pick up an asset in the process. Jarred Bayless, Dellavedova, etc.
- Sign a Free Agent: if only 7 teams can spend more than the MLE ($8.6) on any player, we could be buyers. Let's use Julius Randle as an example. In a usual year, Randle would be a $12-18 million a year type player. This year, we could offer him $11 and that might be the best he can get. Who knows, maybe Jabari Parker accepts an $11 million deal with us and Milwaukee decides to decline the option because they are so broke.

After we use our space on a free agent or a trade, we then sign players as we get over the cap. We could sign a guy like Jerami Grant, Hezonja, Mbah a Moute, Jerekbo, Ilyasova, Belinelli, Thabo, Beasley, etc. using the MLE or BAE.

We should pursue a big trade. Even if we take a contract that goes into 2019, make a trade. We are in a very unique position to pick up asset. Only Atlanta and maybe the Bulls are in a position to pick up a great asset by taking salary.

You don't get an MLE and a BAE if you operate under the cap... either/or scenario. We will operate over the cap. We are not a contender per se. We likely look very similar to what we do now... may make trades in season as we will have more options open to us (trading exum, favors, etc.) as well as other teams may suck and guys we really like may be available at the deadline... I could see Harris, Aaron Gordon, Otto Porter all being available for much cheaper than they are now.

Unless we add LeBron James, we aren’t going to beat Golden State in a series.

Wait until their group breaks up.

Even if we added Paul George we wouldn’t beat them. They’re just too good.

I think adding a guy like PG puts us an ankle sprain away, but the gymnastics required to get there and the fact that it's a long shot is not a strategy you can call plan A. I think you try and get a meeting and take a moonshot, but this summer we should be bargain shoppers... operate over the cap and keep our exceptions for the end of FA. Either get a guy on a one year make good deal that missed the big money or sign someone to a value multi year deal.

We need to get Thabo to push his guarantee date back to 7/9... bring all those guys back and sign one more dude. We'd have some really flexible salary to make trades work (good variety of contracts). Look at BIG trades at the deadline... again Exum may have more value, Favs might too, and some teams will disappoint and guys will pop up on the market.

Gonna be a boring offseason... and I'm kinda cool with it... lay some more groundwork.

If we can't beat Golden State, what is the point of bringing back guys like Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo and Neto when we could try to add another big asset for down the road? I believe this 100% - I think this team is just as strong in a playoff series without Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo and Neto as we are with them. In many ways, I feel the same way about Favors. We don't have to have those 5 in order to compete to the level in which we can compete. Favors isn't the difference between contending for a title or not. Sure, they would be nice to have if we have injuries, but if we have injuries, we aren't winning anyway.

Wouldn't any of these assets be better for our future championship hopes than another 2nd round exit?
- 2021 Miami pick for taking Bayless from Philly
- a future Milwaukee 1st and DJ Wilson for taking Dellavodova
- a 2019 first rounder from Washington for taking Gortat or other expirings

If we can't beat Golden State, what is the point of bringing back guys like Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo and Neto when we could try to add another big asset for down the road? I believe this 100% - I think this team is just as strong in a playoff series without Jerekbo, Udoh, Thabo and Neto as we are with them. In many ways, I feel the same way about Favors. We don't have to have those 5 in order to compete to the level in which we can compete. Favors isn't the difference between contending for a title or not. Sure, they would be nice to have if we have injuries, but if we have injuries, we aren't winning anyway.

Wouldn't any of these assets be better for our future championship hopes than another 2nd round exit?
I see what you are saying, but having those contracts and depth allows us to make in season deals. We need to keep one roster spot open though so if Thabo won't move his date back we should decline his option... he should oblige though... he won't make $5M on the open market.

Teams like the Wiz, Orlando, Charlotte, the Clips, could spiral and are at tipping points... mid season trades/acquisitions may be better business. Hood and Crowder are good examples... both players had more trade value last offseason. If Gordon signs a big deal and struggles he could be cheap... if Wiz situation gets worse Porter may be available cheap... if Clips suck they may realize Harris might leave for nothing so maybe they move him for a 2019 pick and expirings.

I just think everyone needs to be prepared for a boring Jazz offseason.

We have two basic options:
1. Clear cap room by renouncing just about everyone AND our exceptions. Would also need to dump Burks' contract. That likely requires attaching a future 1st.

1a. Then Sign a guy like Gordon or Jabari to a max or near-max contract.

1b. With no exceptions or cap room, 4-5 roster spots are undrafted rookies or vets who will take the minimum.

Or
2. Keep Burks, Exum, maybe Favors. Perhaps use the MLE for a player like Bjelica. Or invite the NG guys back.

2a. At the deadline, DL may have $20-$25m in expiring contracts to include in a trade.

I'm in favor of plan #2.

1. Clear cap room by renouncing just about everyone AND our exceptions. Would also need to dump Burks' contract. That likely requires attaching a future 1st.

1b. With no exceptions or cap room, 3-4 roster spots are undrafted rookies or vets who will take the minimum.

Or
2. Keep Burks, Exum, maybe Favors. Perhaps use the MLE for a player like Bjelica. Or invite the NG guys back.

2a. At the deadline, DL may have $20-$25m in expiring contracts to include in a trade.

I'm in favor of plan #2.

I'm for option 3:

Keep Exum, drop everybody else, trade Burks and cap space for a bad contract and a big asset.

1b. With no exceptions or cap room, 4-5 roster spots are undrafted rookies or vets who will take the minimum.

Or

I'm in favor of plan #2.

I mean, Lindsey has told us on numerous occasions that plan #2 is THE PLAN. Plan is to bring back all the FA.

There may be minor changes at the margins with upgrades to the NG guys and/or an MLE signing like Bjelly or Hezonja. I am on board with this plan as long as we get our stretch four option, even a budget one like Bjelly.

Only if Favors signs elsewhere does this offseason get interesting. I don’t think Exum’s or Neto’s market is great and Jazz bring ‘em both back on team friendly deals.

We’ll have a lot of flexibility for trade deadline deals and 2019 FA.

Because this ain’t a damn video game. Stuff like chemistry and reputation matter.

If we ditch these guys, who are all decent to good players that are well liked/respected, what are guys like Rudy and DM gonna think? What are potential FA’s gonna think? You start doing stuff like that, and ain’t nobody gonna sign here. In a vacuum, you’re not wrong, but I think it would piss a lot of guys off.

I think if we had a healthy Rubio we push Houston further and maybe beat them.

I think we definitely beat Houston if we had a healthy Favors, Exum, and Sef along with Rubio. That would have made a huge difference in the series .

I don't know how we would have done against GS. We obviously played them well in the regular season but that's different. We do have things they struggle against. Good bigs that can switch like Favors are a big weakness to them.

Favors isn't the difference between contending for a title or not. Sure, they would be nice to have if we have injuries, but if we have injuries, we aren't winning anyway.

I disagree with that statement, he makes a big difference. He was a huge reason the last two years we won playoffs series.

As far as the second paragraph goes no. Those picks make no difference to us winning a championship. They don't fit our timeline and are unlikely to even be decent players. More likely they will just be cheap roster spot fillers like what Golden State has used their picks for recently.

I think the front office wants to have as much cap space as possible for 2019. I think we'll try to sign a guy like Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris. If that fails, we could pursue Niko. There are so many quality free agents next summer that I think it's likely we land one of them, even if it's not an elite one like Klay Thompson. Short of signing Lebron James or Paul George, there's nothing we can do this year to compete with Golden State anyway, so might as well just run it back with the same group one more year, signing Favors to a one year deal. Then next offseason we would have Favors, Burks, Rubio, Udoh, Jerebko and Sefelosha all coming off the books and we could offer a guy like Middleton the max. Obviously if the could land PG this offseason then they need to do whatever it takes to do that, but it seems unlikely.

@JustTheTip

I respect what you are saying. Chemistry does mean something. It should be valued.

But the following is also true - Udoh couldn't get off our bench in the playoffs. Thabo, at $5.5 with the injury recovery and suspension, is overpaid.

As for Favors, I would like to keep him but I don't see how. He would be unwise to take a one year deal because his injury history. We could give him a longer contract, but I think it's a bad decision if we overpay him. Overpaying Favors kills the dreams of the 2019 cap space dreamers. Gobert and Favors dont work against the small lineups anyway. And if the small lineups phase out, Favors and Gobert still don't have the comprehensive skill sets to compete offensively.

As for Jerekbo. I could see the reason for keeping him especially if Favors leaves.

So overall, I think it is in our best interest in terms of chemistry and future that Favors just finds a deal elsewhere during the Moratorium.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

@JustTheTip

I respect what you are saying. Chemistry does mean something. It should be valued.

But the following is also true - Udoh couldn't get off our bench in the playoffs. Thabo, at $5.5 with the injury recovery and suspension, is overpaid.

As for Favors, I would like to keep him but I don't see how. He would be unwise to take a one year deal because his injury history. We could give him a longer contract, but I think it's a bad decision if we overpay him. Overpaying Favors kills the dreams of the 2019 cap space dreamers. Gobert and Favors dont work against the small lineups anyway. And if the small lineups phase out, Favors and Gobert still don't have the comprehensive skill sets to compete offensively.

As for Jerekbo. I could see the reason for keeping him especially if Favors leaves.

So overall, I think it is in our best interest in terms of chemistry and future that Favors just finds a deal elsewhere during the Moratorium.

This cracked me up--just below your post I have an Amazon add for this book, certainly because of the repeated use of Thabo's name in the past several posts:
Amazon product ASIN B01M6TK64Y
51h7sbgEMDL.jpg

Thabo (Scifi Alien Romance) (Galactic Mates)
by Luna Hunter

Can an alpha male alien warrior and a curvy human diplomat prevent an intergalactic disaster?

Riley Harper has been too busy earning her degree in Intergalactic Politics to bother with men. When her new job straight out of college requires her to travel to deep space so that humans can meet with the alien Intergalactic Alliance, she meets General Thabo. The muscular, fire-red Zoran soldier is intriguing, to say the least … but Riley has no intention of her first time being with an alien warrior, no matter how sexy he might be.

For his part, Thabo is not a particular fan of humans, but he can’t get the shapely Ms. Harper out of his mind. When she stands up to some trash-talking aliens on the Alliance’s space-station, he learns she has spirit to go with her luscious curves. He’s more determined than ever to claim her … but first he has to persuade her.

His romantic plans are disrupted when the Alliance station is attacked and humans are blamed. Can he and Riley find out who’s really responsible and avert a galactic war? And will she see past his tough exterior to the man he really is?

---

LOL, sounds like some pretty hot stuff!

If you really want meaningful cap space... step number one is finding a home for AB without taking any or much salary back. Teams will not exactly be lining up to pick up that salary. If you want to include a first or Tony Bradley (may not be enough) to dump it that is likely doable.

Favs will sign on to a one year value deal... so long as Dallas doesn't throw big money at him. He won't be their primary target. There are not teams that both have cap space and need a center outside of Dallas... basically he is toast.

I'd ask Thabo to push his date back and let him know if he doesn't we are releasing him... if we re-sign him later it likely isnt for $5.5 so I'm guessing he will be cool with that. Gives us all the flexibility we need to poke and prod the market without being to costly. If something good comes along waive who you need to... I don't think anything good enough is coming, but we are close enough to have conversations.

I have already been over the numbers. There are only 2 teams in the NBA who can and would take Burks' contract. Atlanta or Chicago maybe.

We are better served putting Burks with cap space to get something than give something to dump Burks.

If you really want meaningful cap space... step number one is finding a home for AB without taking any or much salary back. Teams will not exactly be lining up to pick up that salary. If you want to include a first or Tony Bradley (may not be enough) to dump it that is likely doable.

Favs will sign on to a one year value deal... so long as Dallas doesn't throw big money at him. He won't be their primary target. There are not teams that both have cap space and need a center outside of Dallas... basically he is toast.

I'd ask Thabo to push his date back and let him know if he doesn't we are releasing him... if we re-sign him later it likely isnt for $5.5 so I'm guessing he will be cool with that. Gives us all the flexibility we need to poke and prod the market without being to costly. If something good comes along waive who you need to... I don't think anything good enough is coming, but we are close enough to have conversations.
Clearing Burks by using Bradley would be a dynamite move. At the very least, we may draft someone in the second round next year!