What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

I feel like our team needs another young player to get excited about. Somebody who we feel like is Donovan's wingman for the next decade.

I don't know who that is. Is is somebody we draft? Is it Russell? Randle? Rozier? Brogdon? Winslow? I don't freaking know. I just feel like we are at that place. Yes, Conley would be great for the next year to few years, but if we do what we've been doing in the 1st/2nd round, I think the fan base gets even more disgruntled and impatient.

I think we need an exciting splash, and I don't even know exactly who that would be.

Still feel this way.

I am now at the point that our current offer for Conley is our offer. I'm willing to pay that to get him. I wouldn't add anything more though. With all of the craziness going on, I now think we could get someone in free agency or another trade that will make us better. I like Conley, but not "future first" love him.

Great post.

Trading 2 firsts for Conley would be the worst trade the Jazz have made in 10+ years. 32 year old non allstar on one of the largest contracts in the entire NBA. Also he could opt out after 1 year. Hard pass.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As Cousin Eddie said, "Bingo"

Allen and Crowder is too much. Korver + 2 picks + one of those should have been enough, especially given that Conley is on a monster deal, doesn't fit Memphis' direction, and Memphis is about to draft their new future PG in Ja Morant. Crowder was Utah's muscle and heart. Allen was part of Utah's potential. Give up one not both.

I miss Jae.

This thread is Gold...

Really is good stuff. I forgot how much people debated Okur, Boozer, Toronto, Kawhi, and of course Exum. But then again, every thread had Exum debate for 5 years.

It was fun reading through the posts to see the different mindsets in the days prior to the trade. Almost all the posts I tagged today were ones who rationally questioned the Conley pursuit. I'm an optimistic guy but I obviously feared the worse in this deal.

However.... if we turn it around and do something magical this year, I'll be happy to eat crow and admit very publicly I was wrong.

Go Jazz

When they hosed us over at the deadline the offer should have been much less than what we gave. Especially since they leaked those discussions and betrayed our trust... they made Ricky Rubio sad and they need to pay for that.

I just don't know who we were bidding against... even if we could have shifted the pick from last year into the 2020 draft (that sucks) and given them the 2022 pick that would have been better.

To get Clarke we would have needed to trade up, but let's say we did get Clarke and that was the guy they wanted... do we then get to save the other pick. We apparently didn't want to send Exum in the deal, but that should have been a salary they ate (they could have sent Jae too, and then we'd have had even more space... get Bogey, Mike, and a better 4/5).

I didn't need this today.

When they hosed us over at the deadline the offer should have been much less than what we gave. Especially since they leaked those discussions and betrayed our trust... they made Ricky Rubio sad and they need to pay for that.

I just don't know who we were bidding against... even if we could have shifted the pick from last year into the 2020 draft (that sucks) and given them the 2022 pick that would have been better.

To get Clarke we would have needed to trade up, but let's say we did get Clarke and that was the guy they wanted... do we then get to save the other pick. We apparently didn't want to send Exum in the deal, but that should have been a salary they ate (they could have sent Jae too, and then we'd have had even more space... get Bogey, Mike, and a better 4/5).

I didn't need this today.

Yeah, in hindsight, they really screwed us on the deal. Some of us saw it, but many times those of us are completely wrong.

The main question you ask that I always come back to - who were we bidding against? Honestly, I still don't know.
Indiana obviously had eyes for a bigger fish in Brogdon.
Russell was just looking for a max and got it through that KD trade.
Detroit? They did fantastic business just signing Rose instead of losing assets for Conley.
Miami? They were smarter than that.
Every other team in the NBA had a PG they had faith in or were content with.

Just a really, really bad deal by us even if Conley ends up playing better. If we don't make it out of the 2nd round this year or next, we really did a poor job of asset management. If we don't make it out of the first round this year or next, it's got to go down as the worst trade in our team's history considering where we were, who we already had, and what we gave up.

where we were, who we already had, and what we gave up.

This is the worst part.
We were already a good team with young players with their best basketball ahead of them and we had tons of cap space to spend and a some good assets available.

Now we have no cap space, no assets, and we are older and maybe not even any better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It's not even Conley's trade that I'm mad about any more. Even though we significantly overpaid to get him.

To make the matter worse, we made terrible selections in the FA with our money.

Everyone was crying for Wood and Holmes in trade thread but they were all available as FA back in July. But we decided to sign two washed old dudes that nobody now even want on their roster.

Last edited:
It's not even Conley's trade that I'm mad about any more. Even though we significantly overpaid to get him.

To make the matter worse, we made terrible selections in the FA with our money.

Everyone was crying for Wood and Holmes in trade thread but they were all available as FA back in July. But we decided to sign two washed old dudes that nobody now even want on their roster.

Yep. We made moves like we were the Miami Heat with LBJ and company. That team needed a few vets to fill out the roster. Not only did we get washed guys when we needed to strike gold on some young buck, we didn't even get those old guys for minimum. We paid more.

I think what we’ve learned is that this year’s 1st rounder needs to stick. We need some legit youth.

I think what we’ve learned is that this year’s 1st rounder needs to stick. We need some legit youth.
I'm prettt sure we didn't need to give Memphis 2 first rounders + Grayson Allen, our first round selection a year ago, to get Conley. We acted like we were the one that was desperate to deal while in reality, Memphis was

Teams like Denver got richer because they invested in youths that end up outplaying their contract. We got poorer in assets because we keep buying washed old vets on 1-2 season rental deals who we just let go for free, and more often than not, had to burn multiple draft picks in order to get them in the first place.