What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

There lived an old farmer who had worked in his fields for many, many years. One day, his horse bolted away. His neighbors dropped in to commiserate with him. “What awful luck,” they tut-tutted sympathetically, to which the farmer only replied, “We’ll see.”

Next morning, to everyone’s surprise, the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How amazing is that!” they exclaimed in excitement. The old man replied, “We’ll see.”

A day later, the farmer’s son tried to mount one of the wild horses. He was thrown on the ground and broke his leg. Once more, the neighbors came by to express their sympathies for this stroke of bad luck. “We’ll see,” said the farmer politely.

The next day, the village had some visitors – military officers who had come with the purpose of drafting young men into the army. They passed over the farmer’s son, thanks to his broken leg. The neighbors patted the farmer on his back – how lucky he was to not have his son join the army! “We’ll see,” was all that the farmer said!

I was not in favor of the Conley trade and would love to trade him (Miami for Winslow and Dragic), but it is to soon to know for sure that he won't work out with this team.

Remember when we got that glimpse of DM and Conley getting that workout in together? So freaking exciting. But as I was watching the drills my heart sank a little. My first thought was: Wow, it sure looks like Conley has lost a step. He just seemed so much slower than DM. It’s the summer, I told myself, anyone’s going to look slower next to DM, I told myself - but it was always nagging at me since the start of the season.

Conley HAS lost a step. He is simply not the player that he once was. But now it’s up to Quin to figure out what his strengths are (which aren’t many at this point), and how to best fit him into the system.

Remember when we got that glimpse of DM and Conley getting that workout in together? So freaking exciting. But as I was watching the drills my heart sank a little. My first thought was: Wow, it sure looks like Conley has lost a step. He just seemed so much slower than DM. It’s the summer, I told myself, anyone’s going to look slower next to DM, I told myself - but it was always nagging at me since the start of the season.

Conley HAS lost a step. He is simply not the player that he once was. But now it’s up to Quin to figure out what his strengths are (which aren’t many at this point), and how to best fit him into the system.
This is spot on.

And frankly imo his best spot would be backup PG. The highest paid 6th man probably ever, but the current rotations are simply garbage with Conley starting and Ingles coming off the bench. Switch that one thing around and suddenly we'll start winning more games, guaranteed.

Reading back through this thread, at best its 50% in favor of Conley, and that was not knowing we had to give up two 1sts!

Fired for bad GM'ing: Douchebag K, UtahJazz32
Promoted: Nateboz, jom2003

One of my issues over the years with DL is it seems he usually (not always) overpays by a little... like 25% too much... Dante's deal was like 25% too high at the time... Conley trade 1 first and expirings seemed like enough maybe a second or two... at very least make them eat Dante's deal (though DL apparently saw that as an asset). Ricky Rubio didn't seem like there was a huge market but was a slight overpay to take the salary and give a first. I guess there are times when drawing a line in the sand isn't worth losing the deal... and he tried to drive a hard bargain when going after Niko and some others... so my criticism is likely a little unfair... like looking around the league and what we could get for Conley... there just aren't a lot of suitors... it would have been a similar market this summer. Maybe DL just locks in and that leads to slight overpays... venting session over.

One of my issues over the years with DL is it seems he usually (not always) overpays by a little... like 25% too much... Dante's deal was like 25% too high at the time... Conley trade 1 first and expirings seemed like enough maybe a second or two... at very least make them eat Dante's deal (though DL apparently saw that as an asset). Ricky Rubio didn't seem like there was a huge market but was a slight overpay to take the salary and give a first. I guess there are times when drawing a line in the sand isn't worth losing the deal... and he tried to drive a hard bargain when going after Niko and some others... so my criticism is likely a little unfair... like looking around the league and what we could get for Conley... there just aren't a lot of suitors... it would have been a similar market this summer. Maybe DL just locks in and that leads to slight overpays... venting session over.

Look what PHX gave Rubio for Pete's sake!

He's just as quick as he was in seasons past. The idea that he "lost a step" is a misnomer. If you're saying he lost his shot, we can wait and see how permanent it is. But speed? Lost a step? That's just not the case.

He's just as quick as he was in seasons past. The idea that he "lost a step" is a misnomer. If you're saying he lost his shot, we can wait and see how permanent it is. But speed? Lost a step? That's just not the case.
I agree though that in the video he is speaking of Donovan looked WAY quicker
I remember making that comment when the video came out.
Maybe Conley was always much slower than Donovan though. Idk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, he’s lost a step - and he’s lost his shot, and his confidence. Go back and watch that footage. He simply did not look good. And he hasn’t look good all season.

Mongoose really came out swinging in this thread
I wish I wasn't so right about all of this so far... I guess it's my 2k knowledge??? Conley was supposed to be some crazy amazing player for us that makes us amazing according to some people on here. One of the worst parts about it this year are that Conley really isn't that far off of his numbers. He would elevate us if he had a career year this year, but he is what he is, and he's getting older. I find it pretty sad that he's one of the greatest Grizzlies players of all time. I was on board after the trade went down hoping that I would be wrong. He could still have a career year next year, or he could finally "get acclimated" this year...

F*** Conley. He’d be a mistake. I have such a hard time seeing what everyone sees in him. He’s a 32 year old non-all-star. He didn’t average over 20 points a game until year 11 in the nba. He’s over 20 a game now but he’s been on a crap team. He’s a good defender, but he lacks size. He’s old and his durability is a question. His contract is huge and the price to get him via trade is also super high. So many red flags....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this guy should be GM

Last edited:
Are you back into the future my friend?

I really hate to say it, but it was just such a jazz move to get Conley. It was total status quo all along. The grizzlies are terrible, but it looks like they totally swindled the jazz on this one. Conley isn’t washed up, he just isn’t that special.

I really hate to say it, but it was just such a jazz move to get Conley. It was total status quo all along. The grizzlies are terrible, but it looks like they totally swindled the jazz on this one. Conley isn’t washed up, he just isn’t that special.

I'd replace "jazz move" with "DL move". Conley was a bait and just unfortunate that DL fell for it...to no one's surprise at this point.

Last edited:
My issues with Conley are:

- Salary - he would represent our whole off-season this summer and next. Then we gotta pay Gobert and Donovan.
- Picks - how many is it gonna take? #23? #23 and 2021?
- Exum - financially, it makes sense, but I haven't lost faith in Exum
- Longevity - the guy is 32. 32. Our future superstar is 23. Conley is done before DM hits his prime. I want someone to grow with Donovan, not temporarily boost us a little.
- Risk - I personally think he's injury prone. I know Exum is too, but Exum costs 30% of what Conley does.
- Free Agency - can we please try it? Please? Last year, we just ran it back. When was the last time we tried to lure somebody with max space?

If we added him for nothing like into cap space, it's a great deal. If we end up losing Exum, a first and maybe even another 1st, what a stupid trade.

This was on June 17 2019. I admit I was wrong about Exum, but most people would rather have him right now at $9.6 than Conley for almost 4x that.