What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

This was on June 17 2019. I admit I was wrong about Exum, but most people would rather have him right now at $9.6 than Conley for almost 4x that.

Speak for yourself. I’ll take Conley over him all day. His contract will be the most valuable expiring in the league next year and comes off the books right when Mitchell and Gobert need extensions.

Once again, here's why I don't like the Conley deal.

In two years the Jazz will likely have Gobert on a supermax ($50mm/year) and Mitchell on a max deal ($30mm/year. That's $80 million between those 2 guys. That leaves limited cap space for the rest of the roster. If Conley is coming off the books the Jazz will basically not be able to sign any outside impact players. If the Jazz struck out on top FA's this year but alternatively signed some younger plan B type guys (Think Bobby Portis, Jabari, Terry Rozier, etc) Then those guys would be under contract for longer and then the Jazz would have their bird's rights to resign them in the future even though they're over the cap.

Basically with the Conley deal I think the Jazz will be screwed in two years.

This was a great post.

This is Conley's value at his highest. His value will only decline after this summer. Whoever gets him in this trade will surely be keeping him till his contract expires. By getting his overpriced 30mil contract, who else do you think we can get in free agency that is worth any trade values? We won't trade Rudy, Ingles or Mitchell. We can't really trade Conley once we get him. Who else on this current roster do you think we can realistically put on the table to attract any other teams during a trade? Maybe Royce?

Good post and exactly why we didn't make a trade by yesterday. We really don't have the assets because of the Conley trade. The only "asset" we had was Exum who we did maximize but it's not near enough to get us to where we thought we were with Conley - contenders.

we are STUCK in the sense that we'll be limited in acquiring any major supporting cast to Conley/Mitchell/Rudy RIGHT NOW have we decided to eat up Conley's 30mil contract. unless you do think the core of Mitchell/Conley/Rudy +Ingles/Crowder/Royce + a bunch of under-average roster fillers are all it takes for us to advance to the next stage, which most of us would highly doubt that. if that is the case, it'd be giving up future assets for another 2 year rental of a PG, which DL has attempted twice already. Why not try something different this time instead of, you know, treading water?

Very nice. Even though we still got Bojan in place of Jae, this post rings true.

I say flock Conley. Jazz are going to waste much more than just 1 first rounder for a guy who allegedly said he didn't want to be traded to Utah. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Conley is going to be George Hill redux. He'll have a good-great year in Quin's system, then will want a ******** of cash over 4 years to stay. Jazz will be back to square one without a PG, without a first round pick and without whatever assets were traded to obtain him. IMO, he's worth no more than this year's pick and salary filler. I wouldn't even trade Exum for him.

Wow

Dear Jazz and Mike Conley,

You made @LoPo right... and for this I will never forgive you.

Regretfully,

Me

I concede defeat... please don't re-post any stupid **** I put in this thread TIA

Getting Conley isn’t even the equivalent to getting Hornacek in the 90s. Horny wasn’t enough with 2 hall of famers and Conley ain’t even that. The jazz would be shackling themselves... dumb dumb dumb

That’s the big Jazz acquisition...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice

nateboz said:
Chris Paul anyone?

If he somehow ends up here, I’ll start looking for another team to support.

Funny how the idea of Paul went from heck no last summer to I'd rather have him than Conley now. And remember, Houston would have given us multiple 1st rounders to take him.

Unless you think Snyder is going to speed up the pace and reduce Mitchells touches then Conley a ball dominant PG in Memphis will not have the ball in his hands as much. Just off that I don't think Conley averages over 20 ppg . He'll average in the upper teens .

Good prediction about the ball dominance.

I don't think anybody on here hates Conley. I think anybody questioning our pursuit of Conley is basing on the fact that they would rather see our team have long term goals instead of short term goals. They probably would also rather see what we can do in free agency before going for a 32 year old PG who makes $32+ and has a player option for next season.

Bump

We have championship pieces who just arent there yet. Mitchell will be a super star. Gobert, although not a two way star, is right there as a quality center. I think O'Neale will end up being better than some give him credit for. If we can find other up and comers with them, we can be a force.

For those comparing Conley to the Kawhi Toronto situation or saying that Curry is about the same age, shame on y'all. Those aren't even close to the same. I do feel that Conley makes us better, but I don't think he will stay good enough for Mitchell to hit superstar status and O'Neale to hit really good status. We cash in all our chips for 1 maybe 2 great "maybe make the WCF" years then we are grasping at straws without recent draft picks to build up again.

If we can get Conley for #23, do it. If we have to give up much more, pass.

I can admit I was wrong about O'Neale's development at this point although I still do have hope. I stand by the rest.