What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Can't say as I'm too excited for this one. Think there were better players to be had in free agency than John Collins.

Could be a 'buy low, sell high' move. There is definitely an upside to Collins and if Hendricks develops and outshines Collins, then you can consider trading Collins for additional assets. Because in the right system his value will rise. I am very interested to see what our roster looks like at the start of the season.

It looks like JC messed up his finger in the 2021/2022 season. So here are some of his numbers in the year before the injury:
2020/2021
17.6ppg/7.4rpg/1.2apg 55.6/39.9/83.3 shooting splits
116.0 ORTG/111.7DRTG/61%EFG

Readig the Taylor Hendricks thread, everyone is concerned that he is raw, flawed and won't be a star. The Jazz have traded for a guy who can be his mentor and give him time to develop his shot, and right about the time that Taylor hits his stride, John's contract will be up and the team can sign and trade, or even let him walk. I don't like the player John that much, but i get the value. Also, remember, the team has to match the minimum salary, and they just lost several high cost players (probably THT, Westbrook, probably Jordan Clarkson, that's about 70 million. gotta pay somebody.

I do think this means we might have other plans for KO but not sure. I would bring him back to be a backup big still.

I guess this could work (understanding positions are not this rigid):

Lauri/Hendricks
Collins/Lauri/Hendricks
Walker/KO

I also think taking Hendricks away from the rim zaps about a quarter of what he brings to the table.

I'm still hoping that Hawks, Jazz, and Woj decided the PR announcement was just Collins and spin it all Atlanta's way... then later its like... oh yeah there is a first in the deal too.

When is Olynyk's guarantee date?
Any other teams looking to dump potential reclamation candidates (wings)?

Reaves ain’t happening. You’d have to move real assets to get him now, and even if you did. . . there’s a good chance the Lakers just decide to keep him and match any offer sheet he gets.
Huh? We had more than enough capspace even with everyone opting in. And if they match, that's fine, they are on the hook for at least a fair salary at that point (they can only offer him half of what they can match) and we move on with a bunch of capspace.

If you're emphasizing that we'd now have to move guys to do the offer in the wake of the trade, uhh, no ****? That's one of the reasons I'm pissed.

They also owe us a pick so ****ing with them is extra value.

We are really only paying Collins about 19M this year because we were going to buy-out Gay or waive him and his 6.5M salary regardless.