What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Totally agree with this. I really don’t understand all the negativity. This isn't an all in move to win a championship. You are getting a proven player on a semi-expensive contract that is young. For the next three years, you develop everyone you can. And I’m sure you can get a srp for him if he doesn’t pan out. It’s not like the FA market makes you salivate or something.

Again, to me this just solidifies how monumentally stupid it was to draft THREE rookies this year.

However, really I think it signifies more trades to come. We are converting assets into higher-level assets, so I expect more of this to happen. I could see us flipping Collins, or one or more of the rookies, by the trade deadline for more assets or asset upgrades. But in a vacuum this is the most redundant trade we could have made, given our draft and current personnel.

But if you can get an obvious NBA talent for essentially stuff you have laying around the house, well you just do it and figure the other **** out later. Whether it is really a good move or not depends on what happens next.

Readig the Taylor Hendricks thread, everyone is concerned that he is raw, flawed and won't be a star. The Jazz have traded for a guy who can be his mentor and give him time to develop his shot, and right about the time that Taylor hits his stride, John's contract will be up and the team can sign and trade, or even let him walk. I don't like the player John that much, but i get the value. Also, remember, the team has to match the minimum salary, and they just lost several high cost players (probably THT, Westbrook, probably Jordan Clarkson, that's about 70 million. gotta pay somebody.
Exactly!

You cannot advertise it for more than a year that you love the guy and pursue him at every trade deadline and then expect to get assets when his team finally decides to let him go. That's the reason I never thought we were getting anything for absorbing his contract. We've been linked to him for more than a year now. Any GM worth their position will not let you get both the player you seemingly want AND an asset for it.

Pretty sure I like this one. Humongous contract, yes, but we basically got a very good young player for free. He was square-peg-in-round-hole last year in Atlanta - 100% chance he's better in SLC.

Also smells like a precursor to a different, bigger move. Maybe we sell high on Lauri or Walker this offseason in a mega-star trade. Who knows.

If I'm correct, we have approximately $89 million in dedicated salary for next year. If both Clarkson and THT opt in, that would amount to around $114 million. Having $22 million available for free agents or to re-sign Clarkson is still a substantial amount.
*Doesn't include rookie contracts.

I'm definitely good with getting John Collins for free. I thought up to 15mil a year for Naz Reid would have been good value and Collins upside is quite a bit higher if we can get him back on track.