What's new

Jazz vs grizzlies

I think they look pretty accurate to how our guys have played.

Rudy has been our best player and the graph reflects that. Rubio has been the worst and the graph reflects that. Ingles and favors have been quite good as has crowder. All reflected accurately.

Everyone else has been pretty meh.

The graph mostly goes with what i see on the court. No graph, chart, or stat is perfect though.

It shows that Dante and Mitchell are horrible defenders, which is far from true. A random number generator would get some things right.

It shows that Dante and Mitchell are horrible defenders, which is far from true. A random number generator would get some things right.

Yep and any stat or graph or chart would get some things wrong. Like i said it aint perfect but does get a lot correct.

Yep and any stat or graph or chart would get some things wrong. Like i said it aint perfect but does get a lot correct.

But it got a lot of things wrong. Which means it's worthless. At least without additional context. What's the point of a stat that's only correct half of the time? Might as well listen to Cy. He's better than 50% right.

But it got a lot of things wrong. Which means it's worthless. At least without additional context. What's the point of a stat that's only correct half of the time? Might as well listen to Cy. He's better than 50% right.

Agree to disagree.
I like the chart.
@yamers keep it up.

Also, how do you know its getting anything wrong? I have yet to see you post anything that proves it is incorrect. I havent seen anyone post stats showing how great dante and donovan have been on defense that prove the chart is wrong.

I watch dante and think he does a great job defensively but........ he gets called for fouls a lot it seems and guys make difficult shots sometimes when he is guarding them. So maybe the chart is correct that even though he plays good defense, the opponent still scores against him anyway.

Also, how do you know its getting anything wrong? I have yet to see you post anything that proves it is incorrect. I havent seen anyone post stats showing how great dante and donovan have been on defense that prove the chart is wrong.

I watch dante and think he does a great job defensively but........ he gets called for fouls a lot it seems and guys make difficult shots sometimes when he is guarding them. So maybe the chart is correct that even though he plays good defense, the opponent still scores against him anyway.

Good point. I'm too lazy/indifferent to look it up, so you win this round.

nothing beats the eye test, stats can be misleading and even wrong, like Allen didn't even play so whoever entered in the data made a mistake. Also take into account who is on the floor, DM45 is guarding Conley while our bench guys are going against scrubs

The graph is for the whole season, not just last nights game.

Can someone smarter than me explain why Mitchell is a trash defender according to this? I watch him on that end a ton, and he's always on his guy, fighting through screens, quick feet, not fouling too much, etc. He also is pretty good at getting steals. Like, he has had some lapses, but I feel like he is playing his guy close almost every time. Sometimes they score over him, but that's true of anyone. So why do stats say he sucks?

Well he's short. A lot of SG's have been hitting shots over him I noticed. There is nothing that can ever be done about that, short of moving him to PG.

Well he's short. A lot of SG's have been hitting shots over him I noticed. There is nothing that can ever be done about that, short of moving him to PG.

People take midrange shots against the Jazz. Players that take midrange shots are going to have more success because that is what we leave open. Mitchell gets a lot of the statistical blame for those midrange shots.

If we got a guy like Middleton, that's exactly what would happen. I think that's what needs to happen for the Jazz to take the next step; they need an elite shooter. Maybe that guy is a 4, but probably a better shot at that player being a wing.

If we got a guy like Middleton, that's exactly what would happen. I think that's what needs to happen for the Jazz to take the next step; they need an elite shooter. Maybe that guy is a 4, but probably a better shot at that player being a wing.

joe-ingles.jpg