What's new

Jeff Hornacek interviewing for the 76ers Job

Horny seems too nice, not sure if he's the type that can instill respect via fear or force of his personality. If he gets to a place with willing listeners he will be fine, I just wonder about him being able to handle stronger personalities in the locker room. Same thing I wonder about Corbin.

The difference is though, Horny seems to have the brains to back it up. Corbin has shown to have the opposite.

Not that anybody will care but if you remember the last couple years of Sloan being the HC, Corbin was being interviewed for these same teams HC positions, PHX & Phili and another 3rd team can't remember for sure I think maybe Chicago or Milwaukee, as well as his college Alma mater DePaul.

And I would like to see Horny be the HC but people complaining that Corbin didn't have enough experience before given the job Horny has even less.

Also people saying they see Horny talking with players and like that about him, may not remember Corbin could be seen doing the same thing when he was the assistant.

Not that anybody will care but if you remember the last couple years of Sloan being the HC, Corbin was being interviewed for these same teams HC positions, PHX & Phili and another 3rd team can't remember for sure I think maybe Chicago or Milwaukee, as well as his college Alma mater DePaul.

And I would like to see Horny be the HC but people complaining that Corbin didn't have enough experience before given the job Horny has even less.

Also people saying they see Horny talking with players and like that about him, may not remember Corbin could be seen doing the same thing when he was the assistant.

The difference is though, Horny seems to have the brains to back it up. Corbin has shown to have the opposite.

Any chance that Corbin shakes up his coaching staff?

Sidney Lowe could be a coaching consultant. He could even go to North Carolina and hang out with KOC, maybe they could play golf together with KOC's accountant.

Jeff could be promoted to the #1 assistant aka interim coach in training.

Larry Saunders could be promoted too and the Jazz could hire a real big-men coach--is Jarron Collins doing anything these days?

And could we PLEASE rehire Gordon Chiesa if for no other reason than to have him do the halftime interviews on TV and radio, and the weekly talk with a coach segments on 1280 the Zone. Jazz organization would benifit from his optimism, energy, experience and communication skills.

And New Jersey accent. Nothing like a blue-collar accent to make you sound street smart -- the anti-Greg.

I think in order to be a successful, an assisstant needs to break his ties to the current players before taking over as HC. That means Horny needs to cut his teeth at another organization or we would just end up with Corbin 2.0.

I think in order to be a successful, an assisstant needs to break his ties to the current players before taking over as HC. That means Horny needs to cut his teeth at another organization or we would just end up with Corbin 2.0.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just wanted to say Frank Layden thought Jerry Sloan did a pretty good job (after his first couple of years anyway).

Horny seems too nice, not sure if he's the type that can instill respect via fear or force of his personality. If he gets to a place with willing listeners he will be fine, I just wonder about him being able to handle stronger personalities in the locker room. Same thing I wonder about Corbin.

I actually think Horny played with a chip on his shoulder. Look at Horny. Every time he stepped on the floor he was disrespected because he didn't look like he could play and I think that fueled him. He was tough as nails. I think he would be able to handle it. Plus, can't be any worse than Ty.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just wanted to say Frank Layden thought Jerry Sloan did a pretty good job (after his first couple of years anyway).

Yeah but I doubt Jerry was ever a "player's coach." Also, Jerry had been the head coach at Chicago before getting fired and coming to the Jazz as an assisstant.

If he gets the job I definitely want him to be a hell of a coach and totally make something of that Sixers team and get them to at least the first round next year while Corbin continues to struggle and make horrendous coaching decisions. I hate Tyron.

Jeff would make a great head coach; for a high school team. He seems like a cheeky nice rah rah kind of guy, but I doubt he has the aggression to keep a group of superstars in line. My track coach was the same way, he was friendly, smiled and encouraged great, but when it came to discipline, he had nothing.

Do you think only disciplinarians make good coaches? There is some merit to it. I may be in the minority, but I think Horny has the brains, experience, demeanor and fire to potentially be a good coach. Let's put it this way - he can't be any worse than Ty (granted I'm setting the bar pretty low).

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA First job for (New hired, 33yr old GM) McDonough in Phoenix will be to hire a coach: Expect him to find a bright, young assistant to grow with a full-blown rebuild.

Whew! I guess Jazz are safe. That doesn't sound like Jeff H. at all.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA First job for (New hired, 33yr old GM) McDonough in Phoenix will be to hire a coach: Expect him to find a bright, young assistant to grow with a full-blown rebuild.

Whew! I guess Jazz are safe. That doesn't sound like Jeff H. at all.
Oh so Layden didn't get the job then, that's good if you wanted the Jazz to keep Horny (which I do).

Also I totally agree Tony, I hope all my teams will struggle so I can be right and vindicated by my dislike of a coach or player or personnel move or the FO. As a Phins fan I am so elated with every loss and every losing season because Ireland is the GM, winning to prove me wrong is not nearly as satisfying as all this losing that proves ME right because it's all about ME, ME, ME!!

[/sarcasm]

Jeff would make a great head coach; for a high school team. He seems like a cheeky nice rah rah kind of guy, but I doubt he has the aggression to keep a group of superstars in line. My track coach was the same way, he was friendly, smiled and encouraged great, but when it came to discipline, he had nothing.

I don't disagree with you, but there are some exceptions - Mark Jackson isn't aggressive, yet he seems to be doing a decent job. Winning tonight after blowing it the other night was impressive. Can't imagine a Ty coached team doing that.

Do you think only disciplinarians make good coaches? There is some merit to it. I may be in the minority, but I think Horny has the brains, experience, demeanor and fire to potentially be a good coach. Let's put it this way - he can't be any worse than Ty (granted I'm setting the bar pretty low).

I think you have to have a mix. Disciplinarians tend to have early results, but then falter down the road when things don't pan out and players lose trust in the coach (see every Doug Collins coached team).

I think we as fans put too much blame on coaches. Being a successful coach is 60% luck in getting players who are both coach-able and talented.

I think you have to have a mix. Disciplinarians tend to have early results, but then falter down the road when things don't pan out and players lose trust in the coach (see every Doug Collins coached team).

I think we as fans put too much blame on coaches. Being a successful coach is 60% luck in getting players who are both coach-able and talented.

Probably true. It seems it's more about respect than discipline. Players who respect their coach are likely to be more receptive to coaching.

Probably true. It seems it's more about respect than discipline. Players who respect their coach are likely to be more receptive to coaching.

Yeah, exactly. Respect comes from getting results though. So if a coach doesn't start producing, he starts to lose respect. I think that in part started to happen to Corbin this year a bit. I kind of give him props for the whole thing not completely nose diving (because I think it easily could have). Hopefully he can start the next year out strong and regain the respect and get the team playing together.

Yeah, exactly. Respect comes from getting results though. So if a coach doesn't start producing, he starts to lose respect. I think that in part started to happen to Corbin this year a bit. I kind of give him props for the whole thing not completely nose diving (because I think it easily could have). Hopefully he can start the next year out strong and regain the respect and get the team playing together.

Good point that's overlooked. It could have been much worse this year.

You're more optimistic than me. :) But agree that if he's going to be our coach next year, I hope he succeeds.

I just want to see the young guys get the reins...

Hopefully Corbin sucks *** enough to lose a lot of games and his job but The Four miraculously grow and play well at the same time.