What's new

JFC... I Need Your help

I'm looking at the Country Springs apartments in Orem a block off State St. Anyone have any experience with them?

2 bed 2 bath
Google maps reviews only give them 2.4 out of 5 stars, so I'd avoid them. Tons of 1 star reviews with complaints about management.

On the plus side they are real close to the Scera park, which is fairly nice. And to the mall, and Costco, and lots of other shopping on State Street and Univ Parkway.

On the downside the traffic on Univ Parkway can be horrible, so I tend to avoid that area just for that reason alone.

So I've got almost everything locked in. I move to Orem on the 12th or 13th of April. Job transferred, home has a buyer, apartment lined up, house packed...

But I am 100% clueless about the area. I have family I will be visiting and what not but I have no idea what to do with myself.

What are some places to visit, trails to hike, places to eat, areas to avoid...?

So I've got almost everything locked in. I move to Orem on the 12th or 13th of April. Job transferred, home has a buyer, apartment lined up, house packed...

But I am 100% clueless about the area. I have family I will be visiting and what not but I have no idea what to do with myself.

What are some places to visit, trails to hike, places to eat, areas to avoid...?

Provo. Orem. Lehi.

American Fork's not that bad.

ABGs is the best bar in Utah and is in Provo. Kind of dive bar though.

Sam hawk is the best restaurant if you like Korean. But there are a lot of decent restaurants. There's a decent selection for foreign food.

There are tons of great hikes in the mountains, good camping and outdoors areas. It just depends what you are looking for but it's hard to miss since it's a pretty area.

I don't really know if there are places to avoid.

just off the top of my head...

Places to visit:
* BYU Art Museum (Escher exhibit going on right now)
* drive Alpine loop (connects Provo canyon to American Fork canyon)
* Cascade Springs (basically between Alpine loop and Heber)
* Lots of concerts and shows at BYU. See https://arts.byu.edu/events/. Probably many at UVU also but I'm not as familiar with them.
* Timpanogos Cave (National Monument just barely into American Fork canyon; hike up to the cave and then go on cave tour. Costs money, often good to get tickets in advance)
* Thanksgiving Point gardens and dinosaur museum (but pricey)

Trails to hike (in order of difficulty):
* Stewart Falls (trail connects Aspen Grove and Sundance)
* Squaw Peak (trail leaves from Rock Canyon in Provo)
* Y Mountain (hike up to the Y, which is a horrible hike (hot, steep, boring), then go beyond. Maybe 20-30 minutes or so past the Y the trail starts getting interesting/pretty.)
* Mount Timp (trail leaves from either Aspen Grove or Timpooneke campground)

Places to eat:
* Chubby's Cafe in Pleasant Grove is great for burgers/sandwiches, shakes, and scones.
* Smoking Apple in Lindon is best BBQ that I've found (but the sides aren't very good)
* Rubio's (close to University Mall) is a chain but pretty good for Mexican fast-food

Other chains are as you'd expect. We often go to Culvers (800 N), Wendy's (the Center St one; had bad experiences at other ones), Pizza Factory in Lindon or maybe Pleasant Grove, Cafe Rio and Costa Vida in Orem, Papa John's, etc.

In general Provo/Orem sucks for food.

Areas to avoid:
* If you're talking about for safety, there's not really any areas to avoid that I've noticed.

Also under areas to avoid should be I-15 during rush hour. Can get bad. If I'm driving to a Jazz game that starts at 7 pm, I need to leave around 5:30 pm when in "no traffic" conditions I can get there in 45 minutes.

I was thinking if Rumbi. Which is terrible. Never had Rubio's.
I don't mind rumbi.

Provo has some good Korean, Thai, and obvs American food. The main problem is that it's all new and trendy, so that = crowded.

Tons of outdoor stuff to do, and the canyons are super close. Just go explore .

There are good restaurants down by the Provo City center. Bruge's waffles are amazing and I think there is a cafe called Black Sheep cafe? Gurus Cafe is good.

Oteo's in Lindon was amazing but last time I went it was pretty average. Anyone else ever been there?

Cubby's is hit or miss for me. 50% of the time it's amazing, the 50% less than average.

There are good restaurants down by the Provo City center. Bruge's waffles are amazing and I think there is a cafe called Black Sheep cafe? Gurus Cafe is good.

Oteo's in Lindon was amazing but last time I went it was pretty average. Anyone else ever been there?

Cubby's is hit or miss for me. 50% of the time it's amazing, the 50% less than average.

Bruges sausage sandwich is amazing!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Black Sheep that place is awesome. This made me try and think of my favorite places when I lived down there.

I like India Palace. I thought the one time I went to Station 22 it was good. I used to like Shoots when it opened, although I have not been there in awhile. People rave about how good Communal is as well. I didnt love it but it might have just been my dish it seemed like it was pretty good quality. La Carreta is a really good Peruvian restaurant in Orem. My favorite Sushi place down there is Shoga in Orem. Mountain West Burrito is a good quick bite burrito place. And again I have yet to find a Korean place better than Sam Hawk. That place is incredible.

I think for the size of the city Provo/Orem has great places to eat. I think a lot of people there are more upset about it because a lot of Utahns obsess over national chains and Provo does not have many, mostly due to liquor laws. Personally I have very little interest in most of the national chain places.

Got a brother and nephew that live in Lindon. Thank fully I have around 16 family members and their families to go see in the greater SLC area.

I was thinking if Rumbi. Which is terrible. Never had Rubio's.

Agreed. I went to Rumbi once, never again. Rubio's is more of a Mexican place, but with fish in addition to the normal chicken and beef.

Note that I was talking about Chubby's, not Cubby's. They are two different places.

Rubios? Papa John's? smh

Chubby's is good tho.

Predictable resident hipster food comment.

When I eat out BBQ with the hipsters at work I go on how ****** and overpriced the food is, plus no tip at Dickey's BBQ plus free icecream (all true too).

I'll never understand the hipster chain restaurant hate. They've grown that large for a reason.