What's new

JFC... I Need Your help

Predictable resident hipster food comment.

When I eat out BBQ with the hipsters at work I go on how ****** and overpriced the food is, plus no tip at Dickey's BBQ plus free icecream (all true too).

I'll never understand the hipster chain restaurant hate. They've grown that large for a reason.

Same reason the Kardashians are large, ****ing philistine.

Also, UTC is pretty vanilla. Snowmobiling up Hobble Creek was fun and the golf course is the best setting I could hope for.

I liked walking across Tibblefork and tubing in the bowl. Paying to tube in Midway is cool. They have a lift. Hiking Bridal Veil Falls was fun. My boss took me shooting behind Lincoln Beach and then we drove to Eureka to see the Norman Rockwell and a train exhibit, then checked out that creepy mansion that is said to be haunted and is rented out ( @Bulletproof poker night there?). We headed from there towards Delta and spent a night in Little Sahara sand dunes. Holy ****! Those things are amazing and the bike and 4 wheeler riders were crazy.

Next day we hit Topaz Mountain and searched for precious rocks, then went to this place I don't remember the name of and dug for geodes. They had just had the backhoe turn the dirt and we were the early birds so we found 8 geodes to crack. After that we hit that cabin looking diner in Delta for mushroom n swiss burgers. A+. Then we headed to udig to mine trilobite fosdils. Very cool.

Back to ****** Delta hotel for the next couple of nights. Bar drinks in between bowling rounds at the place behind Days Inn, and dinners with the best Mexican dish I've ever eaten, something rose maria... He also took me to the Japanese internment camp.

Next was Lehman Caves and he tried to buy me a Nevada hand job lol.

My boss told me I needed to go up some highway and fish something lake highway. Can't remember.

Yup. Taco Bell has this sweat new hot taco that every man wants to eat. I would lick the sauce off my fingers.

You're living in the 50s buddy. There has been a mainstream push away from the trash you eat for at least a decade now. So in a way, you're the hipster.

If I'm a philistine then you're the crowned leader of the cult of fakes.

Enjoy wasting your money how you like and I'll continue eating superior tasting food at half the price. Oh, that reminds me, I need to bump my old thread.

If I'm a philistine then you're the crowned leader of the cult of fakes.

Enjoy wasting your money how you like and I'll continue eating superior tasting food at half the price. Oh, that reminds me, I need to bump my old thread.

Don't pretend like you're secure about your food choices. You get an epic butt hurt every time I bring up human-suitable food.

And since this is turning into a fight, I'm out. Stoked can enjoy the very valuable Taco Bell recommendations.

Come to think of it, there are some pretty good Indian places. I've had good experiences at Bombay House (Provo, on Univ Ave), India Palace (Provo, on Center St), and Kohinoor (Orem, State St and Center St). And a few good Thai places as well, although I'm not coming up with their names immediately. Our favorite Thai place closed a couple of years ago, unfortunately, but there are some other good ones as well.

When I eat out BBQ with the hipsters at work I go on how ****** and overpriced the food is, plus no tip at Dickey's BBQ plus free icecream (all true too).

I'll never understand the hipster chain restaurant hate. They've grown that large for a reason.
Chains grow large usually cuz they start out as good local places then grow and expand on a brand, but lower the quality in favor of mass producing, mass marketing, and keep a consistent product at a consistent price.

As to why certain chains succeed, I think it's mostly due to marketing and branding.

Taco Bell is a huge example of this. It's not even the best faux-Mexican fast food chain, but they have marketed themselves extremely well and always have new ******** on the menu. They have marketed themselves so well that how ****** the quality of their food is actually embraced as part of the experience.

As to why certain chains succeed, I think it's mostly due to marketing and branding.

Taco Bell is a huge example of this. It's not even the best faux-Mexican fast food chain, but they have marketed themselves extremely well and always have new ******** on the menu. They have marketed themselves so well that how ****** the quality of their food is actually embraced as part of the experience.

What other chains are there? The only ones I know out this way are a bit more expensive which hugely plays into their success.

Love Dickey’s BBQ. Their jalapeño cheddar sausage is the bomb diggity

Sorry to hear that you're in a rough time, Stoked.

So are you totally new to town? You mentioned hikes, there is such great hiking out your back door!

If you have the time I'd recommend starting things out with a lot of driving to get acquainted with the area and getting in hikes along the way. There are some killer places in Utah, especially if you're moving from somewhere like Iowa or the like. The mountain passes should be open early this year with the low snowpack.

You can find these on the internet of course but they are some of my favorites:

Close to Provo

-Mt. Nebo scenic loop
-Alpine Loop scenic drive/Cascade Springs
-Provo Canyon to town of Heber-stop at Vivian Park
-Diamond Fork(Hot Springs)
-Hobble Creek canyon

Little farther

-Big Cottonwood Canyon over Guardsman Pass to Park City
-Mirror Lake highway(Uinta mountains)
-Bountiful/Farmington skyline drive
-Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta/wildflower hikes
-Mill Creek Canyon
-Emigration Canyon to East Canyon Reservoir

Approx 3 hours(or less) away

-San Rafael Swell through Buckhorn Wash-amazing that you can drive this in a Prius
-Moab-Sand flats road(La Sal loop), road to Chicken Rock(Kane Creek), Dead Horse Point, Potash road(petroglyphs, pictographs).
-Huntington Canyon via skyline drive-check out site of the discovery of the Huntington Mammoth
-Cleveland Lloyd dinosaur quarry

All of these are free or just a few dollars. And all have great short hikes accessible from your car or longer/much longer hikes.

And all of these can be done in a sedan if you don't have a SUV/truck.

This just scratches the surface of what's available but I'd recommend starting with a trip to Moab before it gets too hot if you have time!

PM me if I can be of any help.

I stopped in Provo for like 30 minutes last year when I was in Utah. Pretty little town.

Lots of Utah is pretty, frankly.
If you want some extended time in Utah to check it out and attend some games, you’re free to come down in your 4th year if they let you do “international” rotations.

Come to think of it, there are some pretty good Indian places. I've had good experiences at Bombay House (Provo, on Univ Ave), India Palace (Provo, on Center St), and Kohinoor (Orem, State St and Center St). And a few good Thai places as well, although I'm not coming up with their names immediately. Our favorite Thai place closed a couple of years ago, unfortunately, but there are some other good ones as well.
Kohinoor > India Palace >>>>>> Bombay House. Though it’s been a while (10 years) since I’ve been to Bombay House. India Palace has that lunch buffet and I eat there most frequently due to proximity. Would prefer Kohinoor.

Kohinoor > India Palace >>>>>> Bombay House. Though it’s been a while (10 years) since I’ve been to Bombay House. India Palace has that lunch buffet and I eat there most frequently due to proximity. Would prefer Kohinoor.
Interesting. Kohinoor is my least favorite of those three (but is still good).

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Has anyone ever appreciated the differences between Indian food in Utah and elsewhere? Off the top of my head, I’ve eaten Indian food in LA, Dallas, Austin, St. Louis, Columbia, Arkansas, NYC, and maybe others. None of it comes close to what I’ve found in Utah, which is interesting.