What's new

Jim Jordan is the choice for Speaker?

I read that a gop house dude who was getting the moste votes in the secret voting dropped out of the race because trump said that he didnt like the dude. This is trumps party.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I read that a gop house dude who was getting the moste votes in the secret voting dropped out of the race because trump said that he didnt like the dude. This is trumps party.

Yes, Tom Emmer. They won’t give him enough votes because he voted to certify Biden’s election on 1/6/21. The speaker has to be someone who believes Trump won the 2020 election. Apparently….or something like that, lol…

Yes, Tom Emmer. They won’t give him enough votes because he voted to certify Biden’s election on 1/6/21. The speaker has to be someone who believes Trump won the 2020 election. Apparently….or something like that, lol…

Bunch of ****ing morans. Let them burn.

Reactions: Red
yep
Emmer, who is one of just two GOP lawmakers to put themselves forward for House speaker who did not vote to object to the certification of the 2020 election results, dropped out of the race after it became clear he would also not get enough support from his party to get the 217 needed in a full House floor vote. Emmer's decision to end his House speaker bid also arrived after Trump issued a scathing statement saying that "voting for a Globalist RINO [Republican in name only] like Tom Emmer would be a tragic mistake!"

In a follow-up ballot on Tuesday, House Republicans voted to replace Emmer with Johnson, a staunch Trump supporter who took steps to overturn the 2020 election results which was won by President Joe Biden.

In a November 7, 2020 post on Twitter, now called X, Johnson said he called Trump after Biden was declared the winner of the election and told the former president: "Stay strong and keep fighting, sir! The nation is depending upon your resolve. We must exhaust every available legal remedy to restore Americans' trust in the fairness of our election system."

In December 2020, Johnson also rallied his fellow House Republicans to sign an amicus brief supporting a Texas lawsuit that would have invalidated the election results in the key swing states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia, which Biden won in 2020.

In June 2022, Johnson hit out at the House Select Committee investigating the January 6 attack, accusing the proceedings of being "nothing but the third impeachment of Donald Trump."

In March 2023, as Trump was facing felony falsifying business records charges in New York, Johnson posted on X: "Many of us were traveling home from Congress this evening when news broke that the Soros-funded, violent crime-ignoring D.A. Alvin Bragg is proceeding with a bogus indictment of former President Donald Trump.

"This unprecedented weaponization of our justice system is as shameless as it is dangerous. The Left now knows no bounds. We will keep fighting around the clock to expose and defeat their perverse agenda and restore the rule of law."

Even before he backed the attempts to not certify the 2020 election results, Johnson noted how much he had risen through the ranks to become a Republican keenly valued by Trump.

"It's surreal; when I call him, he calls back within a couple of hours," Johnson said while on the campaign trail with the president in New Hampshire in 2020, reported USA Today. "I believe he sees me now as a trusted ally."

i think democrats maybe should have kept Mccarthy around. Seems like the options that have been presented so far are worse than Mccarthy.

Last edited:
I mean Mccarthy worked with the democrats. MAGA hated that. MAGA was like "you worked with the democrats and so now we are going to fire you" Democrats could have shown everyone that MAGA doesn't have that kind of power and kept Mccarthy around and shown everyone that MAGA doesn't have that kind of power. Instead they worked with MAGA to get rid of Mccarthy.
Now whoever the next speaker is knows not to ever work with democrats again or MAGA will get rid of them too.
Strange strategy by the democrats to give MAGA that kind of power when they could have made MAGA powerless and made them unhappy at the same time. Keeping Mccarthy around would have shown that you CAN work the democrats and be ok. Great opportunity that they squandered.

Last edited:
Some more about johnson:

Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) was a key player in Congress in those efforts, with The New York Times calling him “the most important architect of the Electoral College objections.”

But when ABC’s Rachel Scott tried asking about it, she was shouted down.

As she began her question, Johnson shook his head, and the Republican lawmakers surrounding him booed, jeered and laughed.

“Shut up! Shut up!” screamed Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.).

Some good tweets:
Sitting members of Congress telling journalists to “shut up” for asking about a coup attempt against American democracy.

This may be the most dystopian, disturbing clip I’ve ever seen in my life. Far more horrifying than anything out of the Handmaid’s Tale. This is what a dangerous, fascist cult looks like.

They think trying to overthrow the government is funny?

Looks like my colleague
@rachelvscott
hit a nerve. Well done.The surest sign that you have asked the right question is when the powerful congressman you asked it of—and his buddies—try to shut you down and shut you up.It’s a perfectly legitimate question. Why won’t he answer?

I mean Mccarthy worked with the democrats. ... Great opportunity that they squandered.
I don't see much difference between McCarthy and Johnson, yet. If Johnson will keep his word on any deals made, he's already better for the Democrats than McCarthy was.

I don't see much difference between McCarthy and Johnson, yet. If Johnson will keep his word on any deals made, he's already better for the Democrats than McCarthy was.
I do. MAGA doesn't want Mccarthy to be speaker. They do want Johnson to be speaker. Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) was a key player in Congress in those efforts, with The New York Times calling him “the most important architect of the Electoral College objections.” Mccarthy wasn't the most important architect of the electoral college objections.

Some more about johnson:

Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) was a key player in Congress in those efforts, with The New York Times calling him “the most important architect of the Electoral College objections.”

But when ABC’s Rachel Scott tried asking about it, she was shouted down.

As she began her question, Johnson shook his head, and the Republican lawmakers surrounding him booed, jeered and laughed.

“Shut up! Shut up!” screamed Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.).

Some good tweets:
Sitting members of Congress telling journalists to “shut up” for asking about a coup attempt against American democracy.

This may be the most dystopian, disturbing clip I’ve ever seen in my life. Far more horrifying than anything out of the Handmaid’s Tale. This is what a dangerous, fascist cult looks like.

They think trying to overthrow the government is funny?

Looks like my colleague
@rachelvscott
hit a nerve. Well done.The surest sign that you have asked the right question is when the powerful congressman you asked it of—and his buddies—try to shut you down and shut you up.It’s a perfectly legitimate question. Why won’t he answer?

That clip is so disturbing. CULT.

I do. MAGA doesn't want Mccarthy to be speaker. They do want Johnson to be speaker. Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) was a key player in Congress in those efforts, with The New York Times calling him “the most important architect of the Electoral College objections.” Mccarthy wasn't the most important architect of the electoral college objections.
Perhaps McCarthy didn't lead the effort, but he was the Minority Leader of the House Republicans and voted along with the objectors. That isn't very different.

I mean Mccarthy worked with the democrats. MAGA hated that. MAGA was like "you worked with the democrats and so now we are going to fire you" Democrats could have shown everyone that MAGA doesn't have that kind of power and kept Mccarthy around and shown everyone that MAGA doesn't have that kind of power. Instead they worked with MAGA to get rid of Mccarthy.
Now whoever the next speaker is knows not to ever work with democrats again or MAGA will get rid of them too.
Strange strategy by the democrats to give MAGA that kind of power when they could have made MAGA powerless and made them unhappy at the same time. Keeping Mccarthy around would have shown that you CAN work the democrats and be ok. Great opportunity that they squandered.
As I remember it, Democrats were willing to keep McCarthy in office if he offered some concessions. Instead, apparently, he went straight to the media and publicly trashed all of the democrats. He, and the republicans, dug their own graves here. After the public tongue thrashing and receiving no attempt at concessions, the democrats voting to keep him in office would have been very weak.

As I remember it, Democrats were willing to keep McCarthy in office if he offered some concessions. Instead, apparently, he went straight to the media and publicly trashed all of the democrats. He, and the republicans, dug their own graves here. After the public tongue thrashing and receiving no attempt at concessions, the democrats voting to keep him in office would have been very weak.
Again, Im against democrats giving MAGA power. MAGA wanted something and needed democratic help to get what they wanted. Democrats had the option to make MAGA look weak. Or make them look powerful. Democrats choose to make them look powerful.
Im sure the next speaker will never ever work with democrats knowing that MAGA can simply fire them whenever they feel like it.

Perhaps McCarthy didn't lead the effort, but he was the Minority Leader of the House Republicans and voted along with the objectors. That isn't very different.
You addressed (kind of) one of the differences. The other difference was that MAGA doesn't want Mccarthy to be speaker and they do want Johnson to be speaker.

Again, Im against democrats giving MAGA power. MAGA wanted something and needed democratic help to get what they wanted. Democrats had the option to make MAGA look weak. Or make them look powerful. Democrats choose to make them look powerful.
Im sure the next speaker will never ever work with democrats knowing that MAGA can simply fire them whenever they feel like it.
MAGA was already empowered under McCarthy. Neither Johnson nor McCarthy has really worked with Democrats so far, and MAGA's wish list will anger many voters.

You addressed (kind of) one of the differences. The other difference was that MAGA doesn't want Mccarthy to be speaker and they do want Johnson to be speaker.
The supposedly moderate Republicans would rather have a MAGA speaker than work with Democrats. It's they who give MAGA power.

MAGA was already empowered under McCarthy. Neither Johnson nor McCarthy has really worked with Democrats so far, and MAGA's wish list will anger many voters.

The supposedly moderate Republicans would rather have a MAGA speaker than work with Democrats. It's they who give MAGA power.

Democrats could have said no to maga. Instead they said yes to MAGA

I think this has been an embarrassment for the GOP.

I think this new speaker is going to continue to be an embarrassment for the GOP.

I think the GOP is going to have a very hard election cycle.