What's new

JR Smith - when you're in Utah people shout the "N" word.

My2Cents

From his interview in GQ magazine. https://www.gq.com/story/jr-smith-cleveland-cavs-always-open

How can you concentrate when you're shooting free throws and everyone's yelling?! “That's easy. It's when you're in Utah and people are shouting the N-word that's tough.” Really? we all say. “Really,” he says. “Really.”

Serious question. Has anyone ever heard the "N" word at a Jazz game? He talks like it's a common thing. I call B*** S***.

B.S. I heard it when I living in San Antonio, but not here and I go to all games and sit in the cheap seats... Maybe down where he is there are some. I'm just to dang cheap to be that low to hear it.

From his interview in GQ magazine. https://www.gq.com/story/jr-smith-cleveland-cavs-always-open

Serious question. Has anyone ever heard the "N" word at a Jazz game? He talks like it's a common thing. I call B*** S***.
Ridiculous. Does anyone seriously believe that someone could be yelling that word at the players and that the other fans would do nothing but listen to it? Beyond that, there are security personnel all the way around the court and they would definitely take action if they heard something like that. There are microphones that are picking up sound as well so if this is happening at all (and especially with the regularity he implies) there would be evidence. As far as I know there isn't any at all. My respect for Smith just went down again. That puts it into the negative, and my dislike for him has nothing to do with the color of his skin.

B.S. I heard it when I living in San Antonio, but not here and I go to all games and sit in the cheap seats... Maybe down where he is there are some. I'm just to dang cheap to be that low to hear it.

I sit low seats in San Antonio all the time. I've never heard it here once. I have yet to attend a game in Utah.

JR Smith is not the only one saying this though... others have complained about it in the past.

I sit low seats in San Antonio all the time. I've never heard it here once. I have yet to attend a game in Utah.

JR Smith is not the only one saying this though... others have complained about it in the past.
As a result of your post I went looking for evidence. I didn't find any. Instead I came across stuff like this:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/so-...-the-n-word-when-shooting-free-throws.383082/

People take it as the truth. No need for evidence. They even add crazy stuff of their own like saying Utahns worship Shawn Bradley as a god and that LHM screamed the N word at Karl Malone for missing free throws in the finals (no way!), and more.

It mentions that Barron Davis and Stephen Jackson reported the same thing in the 2007 playoffs. I haven't yet found evidence of that. If it happened I sure don't think it was very widespread, and probably didn't actually occur in the arena during a game. More likely it would have happened somewhere on the streets.

Most of the team is black. Surely they would call out their own fans for saying this ****.

As a result of your post I went looking for evidence. I didn't find any. Instead I came across stuff like this:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/so-...-the-n-word-when-shooting-free-throws.383082/

People take it as the truth. No need for evidence. They even add crazy stuff of their own like saying Utahns worship Shawn Bradley as a god and that LHM screamed the N word at Karl Malone for missing free throws in the finals (no way!), and more.

It mentions that Barron Davis and Stephen Jackson reported the same thing in the 2007 playoffs. I haven't yet found evidence of that. If it happened I sure don't think it was very widespread, and probably didn't actually occur in the arena during a game. More likely it would have happened somewhere on the streets.

Jason Richardson and Stephen Jackson complained about this when they were on the Warriors playing against the Jazz. I think it was 2008. Kevin Durant implied racist remarks in 2013, although did not explicitly say it. Back in 2007 when the Hawks played the Jazz, Steve Holman was doing an interview and recorded a Jazz fan in the background saying multiple racist comments.

I'm sure this stuff happens at every NBA arena. Utah is just going to get extra scrutiny. I also doubt that it happens on a massive scale. But truth is multiple NBA players have said this about Utah multiple times. In fact I recall a few years back the team tried to investigate an incident, and Jazz players stated they did not hear anything.

Now, let's be clear. I am not saying that Utah Jazz fans are racist or make racist remarks. I am saying that players who come to this arena have publicly said that they have heard racist remarks while playing in this building.

Jason Richardson and Stephen Jackson complained about this when they were on the Warriors playing against the Jazz. I think it was 2008. Kevin Durant implied racist remarks in 2013, although did not explicitly say it. Back in 2007 when the Hawks played the Jazz, Steve Holman was doing an interview and recorded a Jazz fan in the background saying multiple racist comments.

I'm sure this stuff happens at every NBA arena. Utah is just going to get extra scrutiny. I also doubt that it happens on a massive scale. But truth is multiple NBA players have said this about Utah multiple times. In fact I recall a few years back the team tried to investigate an incident, and Jazz players stated they did not hear anything.

Now, let's be clear. I am not saying that Utah Jazz fans are racist or make racist remarks. I am saying that players who come to this arena have publicly said that they have heard racist remarks while playing in this building.

Let's be honest, it makes sense it would happen more at the Jazz arena. We all watch teh games, and we all know there are very few black people or people of color in the stands.

It's really hard to believe someone would shout it at the top of their lungs (for JRS to be able to hear it over the crowd) in the middle of a thousand people. EVERYONE would hear it. The other fans, the Jazz players, would probably be even caught by the camera mic. How can it be?

Let's be honest, it makes sense it would happen more at the Jazz arena. We all watch teh games, and we all know there are very few black people or people of color in the stands.

Just because Utah is made up mostly of people of discolor doesn't mean it's any more socially acceptable here,

Never heard it and I'm pretty damn sure he is full of ****.
I mean ain't no white people at a jazz game yelling the N-word. That would take huge balls to yell. Other fans around you would get upset about it too.

There are a few black people living in utah that go to jazz games and since they are black they are allowed to yell that word.
Maybe he heard black people yelling it at him

That's why it would be less likely at jazz games.
Black people use the N word way more than white people. Especially in public

I remember seeing that OKC game on TV and the aftermath(comments afterwards) and being convinced something racist was said.

I remember seeing that OKC game on TV and the aftermath(comments afterwards) and being convinced something racist was said.

I am inclined to believe that as well. But I have serious doubt about JR Smith's claims.

I've probably been to over a hundred games sitting 4th row behind the basket. I've never heard it or anything similar.

Just because Utah is made up mostly of people of discolor doesn't mean it's any more socially acceptable here,

White people are more comfortable saying the word when they aren't around black people. As a white person, I have observed that first hand. They feel safer saying it. I'm in no way saying that this happens at Utah games, cuz I haven't been. I wouldn't be surprised though. I have heard people say some pretty stupid stuff at games when they have had too much to drink.

White people are more comfortable saying the word when they aren't around black people. As a white person, I have observed that first hand. They feel safer saying it. I'm in no way saying that this happens at Utah games, cuz I haven't been. I wouldn't be surprised though. I have heard people say some pretty stupid stuff at games when they have had too much to drink.

Among their peers! White people are not comfortable saying that in public in front of a thousand strangers. That is absurd!