What's new

JR Smith - when you're in Utah people shout the "N" word.

giphy.gif

It's nice to see this isn't getting much press (so far), but the few places it is I'm stunned there are morons out there who actually agree with a first class jagoff like Smith.

Anyone who believes him has a serious IQ deficit. They are about as dumb as it gets.

I mean think of how this logically would have to work for him to hear this at the FT line:

1) Whoever said it would have to pretty much yell it to compete with everyone else yelling when a visiting player shoots a FT.

2) No mics have ever picked it up as far as I know. There are no youtube videos out there of people saying it.

3) Nobody else in the key waiting for the rebound has ever commented on it, from other Jazz players (many who are black) to other NBA players (the only ones I've ever heard say anthying else are Stephen Jackson and Jason Richardson, but not during FTs), to the refs.

Yet everyone should take the guy who killed one of his friends driving recklessly and who is a cheap shot artist on the court word seriously for some reason.

I hate to say it but its 100% true. It makes me ****ing sick to hear some of the things that idiots yell. I hate hate hate anything personal or derogatory yelled at sporting events. I personally even don't like things as mild as "you suck", its just stupid to me.
Are you saying you've heard the "N" word or just derogatory comments or name calling? While not appropriate, name calling is not necessarily racist. It could just be yelled at someone because they're the "enemy", regardless of color.

I call B S on this claim. I have been a season ticket holder since the Salt Palace and have been on the floor level for the past 10 years. I have heard plenty of yelling, razzing, and taunting of players, but I have never heard anyone yell out the N word. Overall I have heard worse language from players on the court that I have from the crowd. I have also seen several players react in a variety of ways to the crowd. I particularly like it when a player takes the ball and does a punishing dunk right after being razzed and then comes back and smiles or banters back with the fan.

I've never heard anything like that, but I don't go to a lot of games. Using racial slurs is grounds to be removed from the premises, right? If I did hear something, I would do everything I could to get that person removed. Is there anyone here that wouldn't do the same?

I hate to say it but its 100% true. It makes me ****ing sick to hear some of the things that idiots yell. I hate hate hate anything personal or derogatory yelled at sporting events. I personally even don't like things as mild as "you suck", its just stupid to me.

I'm not going to disagree with u but JR is saying we chant the n word when he's at the ft line. Completely false!!! To me it sounds like he's saying it's more then just a few crazy or intoxicated fans but an entire section of fans chanting is stupid and untrue.

I'm not going to disagree with u but JR is saying we chant the n word when he's at the ft line. Completely false!!! To me it sounds like he's saying it's more then just a few crazy or intoxicated fans but an entire section of fans chanting is stupid and untrue.

Two things. One, yes I have heard random idiots yell sentences that included the N word. Two, I bet JR is lying about him hearing it, there for sure has never been a chant or more then one or two idiots saying inappropriate things.

I've been in the same lower bowl seats for the last 13 years and remember hearing AWFUL things yelled out dozens of times during games. There is a black guy who sits in section 2 a handful of times a year who heckles players and uses the N word VERY loudly.

Is the 'N' word NANCY? Because JR. Smith IS a real NANCY. Does mus-snatch start with an N too? Because that may be the word JR is hearing himself be called.

While I am on the subject of Mus-snatch... did anyone hear Matt Harping say MUS-SNATCH in the game the other day? I think it was against OKC. Not sure. I laughed so hard I woke up my wife. I had never heard the term, but if I were Harpring, I would coin that for sure.

Two things. One, yes I have heard random idiots yell sentences that included the N word. Two, I bet JR is lying about him hearing it, there for sure has never been a chant or more then one or two idiots saying inappropriate things.

I've been in the same lower bowl seats for the last 13 years and remember hearing AWFUL things yelled out dozens of times during games. There is a black guy who sits in section 2 a handful of times a year who heckles players and uses the N word VERY loudly.
K. It doesn't count if the screamer is black. Maybe you weren't aware of that. Personally, I don't think black people should get a pass for saying something that is so offensive if it comes out of the mouth of a white person, but obviously I don't get to make the rules.

So since you said JR's comment was true the real question is, have your heard the N word used at a Jazz game by one of your melanin challenged brethren? I've been to many Jazz games and sat in many different locations and I've never heard anything close. I haven't heard anything yelled that I would consider to be a racial slur at all. If I did hear something like that I would confront the person because it would be absolutely unacceptable and an embarrassment to our community.

Years ago two friends and I totally got into a Golden State player named Tom Tolbert's head. Among other things we were making fun of him for looking like a surfer dude. Nothing he did in that game went right, and he kept looking at us every time up and down the court. It was awesome to have that much impact on the game as a fan. But doing that with racist remarks? No way!

K. It doesn't count if the screamer is black. Maybe you weren't aware of that. Personally, I don't think black people should get a pass for saying something that is so offensive if it comes out of the mouth of a white person, but obviously I don't get to make the rules.

So since you said JR's comment was true the real question is, have your heard the N word used at a Jazz game by one of your melanin challenged brethren? I've been to many Jazz games and sat in many different locations and I've never heard anything close. I haven't heard anything yelled that I would consider to be a racial slur at all. If I did hear something like that I would confront the person because it would be absolutely unacceptable and an embarrassment to our community.

Years ago two friends and I totally got into a Golden State player named Tom Tolbert's head. Among other things we were making fun of him for looking like a surfer dude. Nothing he did in that game went right, and he kept looking at us every time up and down the court. It was awesome to have that much impact on the game as a fan. But doing that with racist remarks? No way!

Jesus, yes I was aware of that. I was just making a point about a specific person who says it at the Jazz games. Players or other fans hearing him yell it don't necessarily know that the screamer is black...

Yes, I have heard it from white people numerous times. I was saying that people yelling it at Jazz games were 100% true, not that I 100% know that JR heard it.

Ya, I call B.S. too. We all know that isn't happening. Could there have been 1 or 2 idiots who did yell something as some point to him at a game? Sure, it could happen in any arena, and I'm sure it happens every once in a while. But it's completely reckless and ignorant to try paint it as all Jazzfanz. I'm sure he knows that he only heard one or two people say this, ever, and he chooses not to clarify what happened.

Racist people are everywhere and will probably always exist. It's just not as prevalent today as it was years ago. Most people are good people, everywhere. We are just always going to be plagued by the trash of society, because that's what they do.

For JR to make these claims just says more about how he feels inside. He puts himself right squarely in the group of bigots he pretends to hate. If he wasn't a bigot himself, then he would have qualifying and clarifying following statements about the issue, that basically says he knows all the people of Utah aren't racists.

People just love to hate Utahns. I wonder why that is...

Jesus, yes I was aware of that. I was just making a point about a specific person who says it at the Jazz games. Players or other fans hearing him yell it don't necessarily know that the screamer is black...

Yes, I have heard it from white people numerous times. I was saying that people yelling it at Jazz games were 100% true, not that I 100% know that JR heard it.
Thanks for answering. I'm very surprised that you have heard people yell that. Are you okay with it? If I heard a white person doing that I would confront them. I am very surprised that no one did. And as I said before, I think it's beyond ridiculous that black people can get away with it when it's deemed to be such an offensive word if it comes out of a white person's mouth.

Also, just to clear up some possible confusion. I'm not Jesus.

I bet it's happened in Utah, just like I'd bet it's happened at every arena in the league. People are stupid and ignorant everywhere you go.

I live in Texas. I'd say there's a lot more outward racism here than in Utah. In Utah, people may think it but are 1) not exposed to black people often 2) are too polite to say anything like that publicly.

I bet it's happened in Utah, just like I'd bet it's happened at every arena in the league. People are stupid and ignorant everywhere you go.

This. But that doesn't excuse it, and I'm sure you agree.

I'm sure it's happened. But if it were common wouldn't our players react to hearing that stuff? I wouldn't play if that type of stuff was allowed to happen.