What's new

July 15 Summer league Jazz v Nuggs

Did not get a chance to see the game...

Judas priest. Hood looks like he's back to the form he had in game one. It's troubling but I realize it's only summer league. Since I don't know anything about college ball, does anyone or did anyone follow the kid when he was on the DBD? Was he streaky during his college career? Also, were all his missed jumpers or did he try to get himself going by driving to the basket?

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/rodney-hood

That review of him seems spot on. That said, I abhor streaky shooters. I hope he is not one.

Looks like another subpar game from Exum. More TO's than ASTs. Eesh. I know many of you were referencing how he looked on the court as far as his conditioning. Well, let's all hope it's just the speed of the game that's throwing him for a loop.

6 rebounds from Burke and I heard many of you talking about players not making open shots after being passed to by Burke. This was the case in the previous game too. TO's match his dimes. But his shooting is cool.

Hey, at least we won the game.

Hood's shots weren't off by much. He did try to get to the basket. At least he didn't keep throwing them up from outside once he knew he was off. He was still trying to make passes inside. AS one of my coaches used to tell me after an "off game" - that's why they call it an average.

AS for Exum, yes, he was gassed. He also played mostly off the ball. Several times down the court he was stationed to the left while Clark or Burke ran the offense.

Burke was 5-10 and got to the hoop a few times. If he can do that against NBA starters, ok. But I don't think he can. He had a nice floater, but he still can't hit a mid-range shot. AS for these claims "guys just weren't hitting shots after passes," the Jazz shot nearly 50% as a team. They're not going to shoot any higher in the regular season. A couple of his TO's came in quick succession. Let's call it a brain freeze moment; not really a big deal.

What I do think we'll see with Quin's offense is a more even distribution of assists. Yes, the PG's will have a few more. But with so much ball movement, it might be 2 or 3 passes removed from the PG at times. I'm not expecting Exum or Trey to average double-digit assists. I do expect the Jazz to be among the lead leaders in assists as a team.

As for conditioning...not worried at all. Rookies struggle with conditioning. They're playing back-to-back games. The Jazz are running a motion heavy offense and expending a lot of energy on defense as well. It's refreshing to see the defensive effort by everyone.

The one huge positive for Burke this SL has been his defense. He looks like a completely different player. I always thought at best he'd be a neutral defender. He's showing signs of being a plus defender.

I'm not worried about Exum. He hasn't probably played such intense full-court basketball in quite a while.

I have always found this strange.

When i was between 16 and 20 years of age i would play intense full court basketball every day. Often going for 5 or 6 hours straight. No free throws or whistles for little minny breaks. No timeouts or halftime or end of quarters. No substitutions

I dont think it would have been possible to get me winded at that age. (I was puffin tough at the time too)

Exum plays for 5 minutes and is gassed? Something doesnt add up.

Edut: one more thing. When i was in hayday i was the man whenever on the court and i was always the ball handler and main scorer. Exum has many plays when he just runs down the court and stands at the three point line while trey runs the show.

When i was between 16 and 20 years of age i would play intense full court basketball every day. Often going for 5 or 6 hours straight. No free throws or whistles for little minny breaks. No timeouts or halftime or end of quarters. No substitutions

I dont think it would have been possible to get me winded at that age. (I was puffin tough at the time too)

Edut: one more thing. When i was in hayday i was the man whenever on the court and i was always the ball handler and main scorer. Exum has many plays when he just runs down the court and stands at the three point line while trey runs the show.

I agree with this. I remember in my early 20's I played ball for 11 hours one day. While I caught cramps like crazy shortly after and the next day I wasn't winded at all. Something isn't quite right with Exum getting so tired so quickly.

I've always felt the same. The only thing I can say is that maybe he's just not in that full-court shape yet. When I was 20 and in great Cross-Country shape, I began playing ball as my season was winding down, and even then, I would get winded and tired as hell much more quickly than I would've ever thought. After a few weeks of it though, my body became conditioned for full-court ball and I was an animal.

I've always felt the same. The only thing I can say is that maybe he's just not in that full-court shape yet. When I was 20 and in great Cross-Country shape, I began playing ball as my season was winding down, and even then, I would get winded and tired as hell much more quickly than I would've ever thought. After a few weeks of it though, my body became conditioned for full-court ball and I was an animal.
Ya and like i said, they have timeouts, substitutions, take plays off, free throw breaks, if the ball goes out of bounds it usually takes like 30 for the ref to start play.

Seems like there is alot of time to rest. he couldnt have asthma or some medical condition could he? He would have had some very extensive medical evaluations right?

We should keep Malcolm Thomas.
Overall he is a better player than the Pogo Stick. Much more polished low post game, in other words way more skilled than Evans.
No disrispect to our cheerful highflyer I love him as well.

Erik Murphy is not even average.

Did you know "Erik" means "plum" in Turkish?
His body looks like a plum...

We should keep Malcolm Thomas.
Overall he is a better player than the Pogo Stick. Much more polished low post game, in other words way more skilled than Evans.
No disrispect to our cheerful highflyer I love him as well.

Erik Murphy is not even average.

Did you know "Erik" means "plum" in Turkish?
His body looks like a plum...
After signing Booker, it looks like the Jazz have two roster spots left to hit 14 (they generally just carry 14). I think those spots go to Clark and Thomas. Would be ideal to have another big, but Kanter can play backup center if Favors or Gobert are out. But you never know; Murphy has been playing the 5; perhaps the Jazz carry him on the roster until at least Decenber. Then they can cut him and try to re-sign him to the Stampede.

The last two games teams started trapping Exum on pick and rolls which caused some turnovers. He'll make the adjustments as he continues to develop and learn. As far as his conditioning, not too surprised given the two a day practices followed by the high level of competition and guys gunning for him. This last game it seems everyone was gassed Hood and Burke struggled as well. What I don't understand is why he took only 6 shots in game 2 and only 4 shots in game 3. I know he said after game one that he wanted to focus on running the offense but i expected him to be more aggressive like in game 1.

The last two games teams started trapping Exum on pick and rolls which caused some turnovers. He'll make the adjustments as he continues to develop and learn. As far as his conditioning, not too surprised given the two a day practices followed by the high level of competition and guys gunning for him. This last game it seems everyone was gassed Hood and Burke struggled as well. What I don't understand is why he took only 6 shots in game 2 and only 4 shots in game 3. I know he said after game one that he wanted to focus on running the offense but i expected him to be more aggressive like in game 1.

I'm not too worried about it. Based on his free throw numbers in Australia, I think being aggressive and attacking comes naturally. Right now, he's working on that which does not like truly running an offense. I'm 110% fine with that.

Exum will be fine. The goal for the coaching staff is to likely get him comfortable enough within the offense that he sees plays and does things naturally. Right now, he's thinking too much. It takes time, and getting the experience and subsequent film to study and learn from is an important part of the process. I don't want him using his athleticism to play out of control. That will just cause him to get into bad habits. He needs to learn how to play within the system so that he can use his God given talent to obliterate people within that system. He'll get it. As long as he's learning and getting into better shape, I'm pretty happy with how he's playing.

I think Jazzfanz' favorite pastime is dissing & underrating Trey Burke.
OK he may not be the 2. coming of John Stockton but we talk about him as if he were as lousy a player as JLIII is, who gets a continuous praise for his locker room leadership.
I still believe that Burke will be a fine player.

i.e.:
spes mea in Burke est, bitches!

After signing Booker, it looks like the Jazz have two roster spots left to hit 14 (they generally just carry 14). I think those spots go to Clark and Thomas. Would be ideal to have another big, but Kanter can play backup center if Favors or Gobert are out. But you never know; Murphy has been playing the 5; perhaps the Jazz carry him on the roster until at least Decenber. Then they can cut him and try to re-sign him to the Stampede.

01. Derrick Favors
02. Enes Kanter
03. Rudy Gobert
04. Trevor Booker
05. Steve Novak
06. Jeremy Evans
07. Gordon Hayward
08. Rodney Hood
09. Alec Burks
10. Trey Burke
11. Dante Exum

That's eleven guaranteed contracts. Let's assume that they plan on keeping JLIII as well, so then that's 12.

12. John Lucas III

Logic says that they have three spots left available to split between Malcolm Thomas, Ian Clark, Erik Murphy and Brock Motum.

With the one-to-one deal that they have with the Stampede, they should for sure keep 15 this year and have the bottom two guys on the roster up in Idaho the whole season.

I'd personally go hard to talk Ante Tomic into coming over this year and getting his NBA career started, and also bring Neto in on a 4 year almost minimum contract. That gives the Jazz one more spot to pick from the aforementioned Summer League players. Pick one, send him and Neto up to Idaho for a major part of the season and then bring them back down if injuries force your hand.

I'd personally go hard to talk Ante Tomic into coming over this year and getting his NBA career started, and also bring Neto in on a 4 year almost minimum contract. That gives the Jazz one more spot to pick from the aforementioned Summer League players. Pick one, send him and Neto up to Idaho for a major part of the season and then bring them back down if injuries force your hand.
1. I was counting Lucas as part of the 12. I think he stays as a veteran mentor to Exum, Burke and Hood.
2. I'm beginning to doubt we'll ever see Tomic. Perrin talked about the Jazz trying to bring him over but we've heard nothing since. I have a feeling Tomic likes the money he is making in Europe and being a big fish where he's at.
3. Jazz will keep Neto in Spain for another year. Lindsey talked about staggering contracts. Bring Raul over next year and he's on a rookie contract until 2019.

1. I was counting Lucas as part of the 12. I think he stays as a veteran mentor to Exum, Burke and Hood.
2. I'm beginning to doubt we'll ever see Tomic. Perrin talked about the Jazz trying to bring him over but we've heard nothing since. I have a feeling Tomic likes the money he is making in Europe and being a big fish where he's at.
3. Jazz will keep Neto in Spain for another year. Lindsey talked about staggering contracts. Bring Raul over next year and he's on a rookie contract until 2019.

Jazz will bring Tomic over in that Tiago Splitter role, i.e., when Jazz are ready to contend and when Tomic is an experience vet coming from Europe and doesn't need any more grooming.

Jazz will bring Tomic over in that Tiago Splitter role, i.e., when Jazz are ready to contend and when Tomic is an experience vet coming from Europe and doesn't need any more grooming.

Problem is he's no spring chicken. Splitter came over when he was 25. Tomic is already 27. Tick, tock.

Didn't know you are a Ke$ha fan.

Nah. More partial to Flavor Flav
250px-Flavor-flav.jpg