What's new

Las Vegas Summer League thread

Wow luka Garza is looking great. He has lost like 26 pounds and is a lot more agile. He should make the Pistons roster and with his shooting could be a steal.

Wow luka Garza is looking great. He has lost like 26 pounds and is a lot more agile. He should make the Pistons roster and with his shooting could be a steal.
Yet to see his team not get scored on when he was involved in a PnR.

Already got a 2-way deal, though.

McBride and Grimes have been shooting the hell out of the ball the last few games. I know the Jazz really liked those two, so it's funny that Perrin picked them. Really wish we could've seen Butler play!

In Sarah Todd's article about Jazz alums playing in Summer League Emmanuel Mudiay made a point how much he enjoyed playing here, how he keeps in touch with the guys he played with especially Mike Conley who he views as a big brother. I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into it that the door might be open for the last roster spot or a two way. .

In Sarah Todd's article about Jazz alums playing in Summer League Emmanuel Mudiay made a point how much he enjoyed playing here, how he keeps in touch with the guys he played with especially Mike Conley who he views as a big brother. I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into it that the door might be open for the last roster spot or a two way. .
You’re right that the door is definitely open. The thing is that it’s Mudiay’s door.

You’re right that the door is definitely open. The thing is that it’s Mudiay’s door.
I read somewhere on the interwebs that if he doesn't get an NBA deal he will head to a Euro team that is coached by former Stars coach Martin Schiller and that has former Jazz two way player Tyler Cavanaugh on its roster.

Here's Brandon Boston, a 19 year-old 51st pick, looking better than Elijah Hughes.

The main difference is that Boston can create off the dribble and shoot off the dribble. For a guy who is 6'6" with a 7' ws, that's attractive. See if Boston becomes close to Brandon Ingram in a few years. Clippers gave him a 3-year contract at the beginning of SL. They know what they're doing.

Meanwhile we're spending three years waiting for Miye Oni to learn how to dribble. The argument is that Boston is young and won't contribute much his first season, but we don't play rookies their first two seasons anyway, so there's no reason not to develop someone with real talent.

The Knicks were literally giving away their first-round draft picks this year in order to preserve cap space. The Clippers grabbed #21 to take Keon Johnson for a protected future FRP (kind of what we used to dump Favors' contract). Then we wonder why teams like the Clippers are longer and more athletic than we are.

Last edited:
I was extremely impressed with Brandon Boston Jr at the summer league. At the nba combine scrimmages, he looked timid and out of place but at the summer league he was none of that. He looked confident, very athletic, aggressive, handled the ball extremely well and creates shots to the basket. It'll be interesting how the Clippers develops him. Jason Preston was well, always liked him too as a draft prospect.

Should we read anything into the fact that Brantley, Forrest, Doke are all sitting today and Hughes is not?

Shopping Hughes to Boston to get that second rounder thrown in.
I think I'm on the Konchar Bus now... It is more likely to happen. His contract is a hair above the minimum and runs for 3 years but is Non-guaranteed for the next two.

I had to laugh at this today:

U. AzubuikeCDNP-LOWER BACK SORENESS
J. MorganFDNP-LEFT HAMSTRING STRAIN
M. RichardsonFDNP-COACH'S DECISION
N. SestinaFDNP-NOT WITH TEAM
J. BrantleyFDNP-COACH'S DECISION
T. ForrestGDNP-LEFT QUAD CONTUSION
K. FoggGDNP-NOT WITH TEAM

I really like that Teague had 12 dimes. I think he's a sure-fire two-way IMO.

I was extremely impressed with Brandon Boston Jr at the summer league. At the nba combine scrimmages, he looked timid and out of place but at the summer league he was none of that. He looked confident, very athletic, aggressive, handled the ball extremely well and creates shots to the basket. It'll be interesting how the Clippers develops him. Jason Preston was well, always liked him too as a draft prospect.

Boston is 19 years old and a crap shoot. But he's got Shai Gilgeous measurables and was a top 10 recruit coming out of high school. The Jazz just spent 6 years and $40MM trying to develop Dante Exum. They could have used the 2RPs they got from Memphis to grab Boston late in the draft. Instead the Clips now have Boston for 6 or 7 years of team control. Even if the idea is to develop him and trade him, he's an asset. Now watch this guy come out and kick our little guards' *** on some random night like Terrence Mann just did.

Our more mature, game-ready guy Hughes just went 4/12 and 1/7 on 3PAs today.

Last edited: