What's new

Looking for name ideas - exhausted

Posted this in another thread but what about The Edge at Grand Peaks. Or just Grand Peaks. You'd have the double entendre there and no one would ever know it but us here on Jazzfanz.

Peep's Place. Straight up.

Look, the problem here is how to find a name for a western campsite that will appeal to a Kentucky man.

That west mountain, and the ridge associated with it, are limestone, with an actual light blue color. Wasn't there a popular country music group that made hay with being backwoods somehow.... The Blue Ridge Boys.

Maybe that could strike a chord with Peeks, and Peeps generally, though I think Peeks is more Blue Grass than Blue Ridge.

Blue Ridge Ranch. Blue Ridge Camp. Blue Ridge Point. Blue Ridge Trails. or, just Blue Ridge. I like that. There's no grass there, though, yet. But hey, Peeks can plant grass. Blue Grass.

Actually, I paused a sec above when I called it Peek's Place. That could work, really. Or, even, Peeps' Place.

There is sort of cactus that is pretty bluish, mixed in with the sparse grass and creosote chaparral. The Blue Cactus.

Blue Point is my best of the day, I think. It sets the place off as something unique in redrock country.

This particular project's theme and name will not pay hommidge to some Utahan thing that no one outside of Utah would get.

I intend for this to have global pull due to the parks. So it needs a name-identifier relevant in that way.
The other side (more for Utahans (what I have been referring to as the edge) will be marketed completely differently and have more appeal to how Utahans view and vacation southern Utah.

This particular project's theme and name will not pay hommidge to some Utahan thing that no one outside of Utah would get.

I intend for this to have global pull due to the parks. So it needs a name-identifier relevant in that way.
The other side (more for Utahans (what I have been referring to as the edge) will be marketed completely differently and have more appeal to how Utahans view and vacation southern Utah.
I'm not sure exactly what you should name it because there are probably all sorts of considerations I don't understand, but regardless, I recommend placing this sign exactly 8.535 kilometers away from your project.
utopia_in_four_movements_filmstill5_utopiasign.jpg

150 acres isn't big enough for all that. Even in a utopian world.

You're essentially building a sort of upscale Marriot Suites or whatever. You've got no ocean like San Diego, no golf course. . . . no real river or canyon or mountain, actually. Las Vegas has timeshare condos on the Strip and is just as "central" to all those national parks, and the billions of Chinese billionaires all like to gamble like crazy, and. . . uhmmm. . . . showgirls.

upscale fitness dudes. . . . hikers or bikers. . . . will think this is just too far from the grand national parks. It's six hours drive in a car to the South Rim, four hours to the North Rim. Kanab would just look better.. . or. . . uhhmmm. . . . Bryce. And St. George has forty good motels as it stands with continental breakfasts and pools.

On 150 acres in that place you need something else to bump it up to world class destination status, and in that game it doesn't matter if the newly invented "Trend" has an actual local hook or not, you're building the hook somehow, and making it something people will notice with your advertising.

"Contre" is the kind of name you're looking for. All kinds of 'nuance" and it can be said with the ultimate sort of snobbishness. really classy "country", and something that doesn't give anyone else the last word. Maybe you could even keep the end as in "contrend", but I think it's better left understated, in true Brit fashion with French overtones.

150 acres isn't big enough for all that. Even in a utopian world.

You're essentially building a sort of upscale Marriot Suites or whatever. You've got no ocean like San Diego, no golf course. . . . no real river or canyon or mountain, actually. Las Vegas has timeshare condos on the Strip and is just as "central" to all those national parks, and the billions of Chinese billionaires all like to gamble like crazy, and. . . uhmmm. . . . showgirls.

upscale fitness dudes. . . . hikers or bikers. . . . will think this is just too far from the grand national parks. It's six hours drive in a car to the South Rim, four hours to the North Rim. Kanab would just look better.. . or. . . uhhmmm. . . . Bryce. And St. George has forty good motels as it stands with continental breakfasts and pools.

On 150 acres in that place you need something else to bump it up to world class destination status, and in that game it doesn't matter if the newly invented "Trend" has an actual local hook or not, you're building the hook somehow, and making it something people will notice with your advertising.

"Contre" is the kind of name you're looking for. All kinds of 'nuance" and it can be said with the ultimate sort of snobbishness. really classy "country", and something that doesn't give anyone else the last word. Maybe you could even keep the end as in "contrend", but I think it's better left understated, in true Brit fashion with French overtones.

you watch... :)

So, I had a huge post and my computer logged me out. That sucks. Anyways, I've read the first page and last two so maybe this has already been covered, but here is a summary:

You have to have a name that is recognizable. Arches or Grand Canyon or whatever. The name also has to allude to the experience they will have.

Experience Arches
The Edge at Arches
Undertake Southern Utah
The Edge at Las Vegas

You get the point. I quickly went to a couple of websites. Disney's first word is "Feel". Macy's is "Be an American Icon". Las Vegas is "What happens..."

It's all about the experience.

It sounds like your resort is going to go after the Montana rich crowd. Basically a "Montana that you can visit in December because Montana is too damn cold." type place. I wonder if playing up the closeness to Vegas will help. Is there a Vegas name that could be used? Dad can take his kids out and be the hero during the day and then at night run off to Vegas to have some fun?

Just some quick thoughts.

So, I had a huge post and my computer logged me out. That sucks. Anyways, I've read the first page and last two so maybe this has already been covered, but here is a summary:

You have to have a name that is recognizable. Arches or Grand Canyon or whatever. The name also has to allude to the experience they will have.

Experience Arches
The Edge at Arches
Undertake Southern Utah
The Edge at Las Vegas

You get the point. I quickly went to a couple of websites. Disney's first word is "Feel". Macy's is "Be an American Icon". Las Vegas is "What happens..."

It's all about the experience.

It sounds like your resort is going to go after the Montana rich crowd. Basically a "Montana that you can visit in December because Montana is too damn cold." type place. I wonder if playing up the closeness to Vegas will help. Is there a Vegas name that could be used? Dad can take his kids out and be the hero during the day and then at night run off to Vegas to have some fun?

Just some quick thoughts.

Those are all very good thoughts and I agree with most everything you said, in theory. I will reply more later when I'm back home.

Don't you have to pretty much slap a Chinesey name on your resort at this point? It just makes business sense. Been to Vegas lately? Been to Hoover Dam lately? Been to any of these national parks lately? The finest loogie hockers the world has ever seen are taking over the real national parks. Americans are all going to be on their couches plugged into a VR machine virtually walking through national parks here soon enough. Virtually riding 4 wheelers. Bragging about their trips through virtual Yosemite on Facebook. Posting pictures of them and their virtual girlfriends hanging out at the virtual wateralls falls on Instagram. Real national parks are too dangerous. You could get hurt. And you have to use your legs. A bear might growl something racist at you. Mountain Lions are trans phobic. Bald Eagles hate Muslims. Mules hate women. Taking scenic hikes is white privilege. Farting outdoors contributes to global warming etc. etc. Who wants to be around that kind of stuff?

How for The qiyanian on the entrance? Qiyanian is Chinese word for frontier if u do not know and it also reads like canyon but gives this a specialty experience feel

you watch... :)

If you build it, the name will come. . . .

but will the people?

I think we are going over the edge of a political era. an economic event of historical proportions.

If you build this with pocket change, you'll do OK, but if you borrow the money, watch out.

more names, some twists on old ones. . .

Convirgince. . . . Convirginch. . .. that "inch" descrbes the 180 acres where every comes together.... ha ha. .. no it's spelling that duplicates the common sound of convergence.

you also have the "virgin" as in unexplored, relatively, expanses on the horizons. . .

Au ContrAir. . . .

golden west with a stiff upper lip. . . . and a mind of it's own.

have you done any "wanding" or metal detecting? you do know that underneath your spot, in a certain layer of yellow sandstone, there was an ancient stream with lots of logs and stuff, fallen trees, that got buried. And later, with the volcanics, some silver chloride residues that were reduced as they percolated through that layer, leaving petrified trees sometimes solid silver. . . .

Silver Reef is NE of Washington, but that layer is everywhere. What you need to know is where the river used to run.