What's new

Make Our Own "Big 3" Now

Mom just picked up your Luther Wright. **** just got awkward. Luther gonna bang on you like a garbage can.
Damn… thems the breaks… ya never know if she gonna bring a big boy or a the lady with the mustache.

Gonna be a rough night but still better than watching the game tonight… so jokes on you suckers.

Collins is certainly better all-around, but Bogey is the far superior offensive player. It's an eye of the beholder/team needs thing. Either way, John Collins is not a guy who can be considered a "Big 3".
Bogey is a better shooter, I'll give you that. But he's not superior offensively. He averages about as many turnovers as his assists, which tells you everything about his playmaking ability. He is a turnover machine whenever he puts the ball on the floor. Not to mention he's one of the league's worst athletes and tend to disappear against size and physicality. There are so much more in a game than just shooting the basketball. That's why most advance metrics suggest Ben Simmons having a bigger offensive impact than Bogey as well.

unfortunately as things stand, to get a player worthy of being in the "big 3" conversation, it'd cost us one of the 2 players from that "big 3".

I still stand firmly on the buy-low train. If we can get PJ Washington and he turns into 90% of what Miles Bridges became this season, it may be the best chance we've got. He's got all the tools and skills, just need consistent minutes. Like who the heck knew Boozer and Okur before they came here?

Last edited:
The only reason for standing pat is under the belief that this team can win a championship this year. That’s a pretty crazy assumption from where we are right now.

The argument for re-tooling is that we’re this far and let’s see if we can prepare to get to the end of Donovan’s contract and position yourself to catch some luck along the way.

I think seeing if we can win a ring right now is as much a waste of time as seeing if swapping out our really good 30-something year old guys (or Clarkson, or Royce), for really good 20-something year-olds can. If we can make a swap occur, then I think it’s smart if the Jazz don’t have to send out more of THEIR 1sts. You can at least hope to trade some of these players later if you end up wanting to rebuild.

TLDR; We’re heading to a dead-end with the roster as presently constituted.
My favorite narrative pushed by local media is the Jazz are a contender... okay... define contender to me. I think if you were stacking odds we'd be like 6th most likely team to win the title on the high end and like 10th most likely on the low end. Just doesn't scream contender... 3-5% shot is were I would put us... I think 10%+ is the low bar for "contender" status. Its a nebulous word that you can just throw out and not be right or wrong.

My favorite narrative pushed by local media is the Jazz are a contender... okay... define contender to me. I think if you were stacking odds we'd be like 6th most likely team to win the title on the high end and like 10th most likely on the low end. Just doesn't scream contender... 3-5% shot is were I would put us... I think 10%+ is the low bar for "contender" status. Its a nebulous word that you can just throw out and not be right or wrong.
Would you consider 2009 Nuggets contender? 2013 Memphis? 2015 Atlanta? What about 2019 Portland? Those are the teams that made it to the conference final and I doubt people remember them as contenders.

And we couldn't even make it as far as those teams

Last edited:
Would you consider 2009 Nuggets contender? 2013 Memphis? 2015 Atlanta? What about 2019 Portland? Those are the teams that made it to the conference final and I doubt people remember them as contenders.

And we couldn't even make it that far.
I think the 2014 Grizz are kind of our best case scenario... lost to champs in second round. Could we get lucky with matchups like the 2019 blazers... sure. I'm less concerned about rounds and just evaluating the landscape. we likely have to play both the Warriors and Suns plus whatever team comes out of the East. All three are better than us imo.

I think the 2014 Grizz are kind of our best case scenario... lost to champs in second round. Could we get lucky with matchups like the 2019 blazers... sure. I'm less concerned about rounds and just evaluating the landscape. we likely have to play both the Warriors and Suns plus whatever team comes out of the East. All three are better than us imo.
this team peaked last year. it's all down hill from here barring a major shakeup

And we couldn't even make it as far as those teams
Injuries play a huge role in all of this. The West is also a lot more competitive now than it was in previous years.

I'm on board for chasing someone who's a potential difference maker and I think all three of these guys could be. Simmons is probably a difference maker if he is mentally okay and fits in. Collins is a difference maker and is still improving. Grant brings something we dont have and probably improves us. There might be some others that pop up. But I dont think we can get any of these three. 76ers wont take Collins and 3 picks for Simmons, we cant even come close to beating that offer. Atlanta wants a starter and a good first round pick, we dont have that and cant make that offer. Grant is the most likely but I think we can easily get outbid.

I'm on board for chasing someone who's a potential difference maker and I think all three of these guys could be. Simmons is probably a difference maker if he is mentally okay and fits in. Collins is a difference maker and is still improving. Grant brings something we dont have and probably improves us. There might be some others that pop up. But I dont think we can get any of these three. 76ers wont take Collins and 3 picks for Simmons, we cant even come close to beating that offer. Atlanta wants a starter and a good first round pick, we dont have that and cant make that offer. Grant is the most likely but I think we can easily get outbid.
I haven't seen the "good" qualifier for the pick. I guess I'll have to dig up the original article. But also: what precisely does that mean?

Something to keep in mind is that whenever one of Grant/Barnes/Collins/Wood/Tobias dudes gets traded, that's one less suitor for the rest. We certainly don't have the most assets in the league, but if it gets down the list a ways or the Jazz just get some eye-of-the-beholder luck, I think it could happen.

I haven't seen the "good" qualifier for the pick. I guess I'll have to dig up the original article. But also: what precisely does that mean?

Something to keep in mind is that whenever one of Grant/Barnes/Collins/Wood/Tobias dudes gets traded, that's one less suitor for the rest. We certainly don't have the most assets in the league, but if it gets down the list a ways or the Jazz just get some eye-of-the-beholder luck, I think it could happen.
I agree it could happen and assets will get burned for some we cant get leaving others open. Although a lot of these teams dont need to trade these guys now and probably will wait for the offseason if no good trades pop up.

I dont know what a good pick means for sure, but to me that means at least lottery.

edit: I just looked up the wording and the report says valuable first round pick. I still think that means at least lottery, but I could be wrong. If its not lottery why put any wording on it.

Last edited:
Its going to be sad funny when something like Grant for Collins happens. Two players we might want swapped for each other.

If we could get two of Covington, Smart, Barnes and Grant and retain Mike, Don and Rudy, I guess that would be sweet af.

Or maybe even one and a guy like Rondo idk.