What's new

Marvin Williams trade value at all time high!

Should we trade Marvin now?

• yes

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • no

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revolution 9

Contributor
It's time to unload Marvin. If he would come back here at a good price then he's worth a look, but at this point I don't think he'll come cheap enough. With a good week of games is it time to unload Marvin, get an asset back, and move the tank forward. If we are going to trade him it's not going to get any better than right now. Agree?

I think Marvin at a good price is worth keeping!

but...if his price tag is too high then yes trade asap! hes killin it.

No wonder he is at his best but may need more time to prove he'll do his thing for a few more, or may not, depends on the customer.

The thing is, I would go for the guy who plays better regardless of the age. But if I got him as a trade piece, the best thing I could do for myself and him at the same time would be to deal him at his trade value's ceiling.

Anyone who wants us to re sign Marv next year, pls line up single file so I can punch you in the face.

Also, welcome to your first year of following NBA basketball.

Middling player in a contract year on a ****ty team. What he is doing right now has absolutely no bearing on the type of player he will be in the future. We know who Marv is, there is about 10 years of data available on him.

If there is a trade for him, literally ANY trade, you make the trade 2 months ago. You don't hold out to get value, you unload him ASAP. Whatever small return we could get in a trade for Marv is outweighed by the benefit to the tank that getting rid of Marv will bring.

If Lindsey is holding on to Marv because there is no trade at all, ok. If Lindsey is holding onto Marv waiting until he can get the most value out of him, he is misguided IMO, but I'll concede that he might know what he is doing. If Lindsey is holding onto Marv evaluating whether or not he wants to resign him next year, **** that mother ****er.

Unless Marv has a career arc never before seen in the NBA, he is a non factor in building your franchise. He is at best a solid veteran you add to your roster as a contender. Signing Marv in the position we are in is the most average, blah move I could possibly imagine.

Holding onto Marv right now is way waaaay more unforgivable than KOC holding onto Big Al and Millsap beyond the trade deadline. The two are not in the same stratosphere IMO.

Losing faith in Lindsey by the day. I thought we had a sharp, cutting edge type of GM that was not afraid to make bold, unconventional moves. Hoping I'm not wrong, and hoping Lindsey doesn't have his hands tied by the "stay the course" M.O. that has often plagued the Jazz.

While he's young, I have to think that this is the exception and not the norm with him. If you can get something valuable, do it.

Lets trade him and not have to pay him so much so we can have a far worse player and pay them less. Sounds like strategy to me. Who is better on the team and can do as much as him? Just curious. He is mid 20s too.
I understand the trade RJ crowd, but Marvin is coming into his own, is young, and is a leader (which NONE of the young(er) guns seem to be). If, by chance we end up with a draft pick that does what he does and does it better, trace him next year. I don't understand the need to get rid of him at this point. Keep Marvin, for now.

Anyone who wants us to re sign Marv next year, pls line up single file so I can punch you in the face.

Also, welcome to your first year of following NBA basketball.

Middling player in a contract year on a ****ty team. What he is doing right now has absolutely no bearing on the type of player he will be in the future. We know who Marv is, there is about 10 years of data available on him.

If there is a trade for him, literally ANY trade, you make the trade 2 months ago. You don't hold out to get value, you unload him ASAP. Whatever small return we could get in a trade for Marv is outweighed by the benefit to the tank that getting rid of Marv will bring.

If Lindsey is holding on to Marv because there is no trade at all, ok. If Lindsey is holding onto Marv waiting until he can get the most value out of him, he is misguided IMO, but I'll concede that he might know what he is doing. If Lindsey is holding onto Marv evaluating whether or not he wants to resign him next year, **** that mother ****er.

Unless Marv has a career arc never before seen in the NBA, he is a non factor in building your franchise. He is at best a solid veteran you add to your roster as a contender. Signing Marv in the position we are in is the most average, blah move I could possibly imagine.

Holding onto Marv right now is way waaaay more unforgivable than KOC holding onto Big Al and Millsap beyond the trade deadline. The two are not in the same stratosphere IMO.

Losing faith in Lindsey by the day. I thought we had a sharp, cutting edge type of GM that was not afraid to make bold, unconventional moves. Hoping I'm not wrong, and hoping Lindsey doesn't have his hands tied by the "stay the course" M.O. that has often plagued the Jazz.

This.

Marvin is in a contract year folks. It's that simple.

Lets trade him and not have to pay him so much so we can have a far worse player and pay them less. Sounds like strategy to me. Who is better on the team and can do as much as him? Just curious. He is mid 20s too.
I understand the trade RJ crowd, but Marvin is coming into his own, is young, and is a leader (which NONE of the young(er) guns seem to be). If, by chance we end up with a draft pick that does what he does and does it better, trace him next year. I don't understand the need to get rid of him at this point. Keep Marvin, for now.

original.gif

Lol, you are wrong, but I understand your need to silence anyone who disagrees with you. Being on the other side of an issue with most of you makes me feel I am right for sure. SO I appreciate the support.

Lol, you are wrong, but I understand your need to silence anyone who disagrees with you. Being on the other side of an issue with most of you makes me feel I am right for sure. SO I appreciate the support.

You do realize that Marvin is in a contract year, right?

So your vote is to resign him to a new contract. Then, if it turns out that he really was just turning it on for a new contract, that we then attempt to trade him next year?

So buy high and sell low?

I really hope you're not a financial planner. But seeing how my investments are going, I wouldn't be surprised.

now that the pistons are joining the tank by firing their coach this morning. I am onboard to trade marvin and jefferson. ASAP.

Marvin for Tayshaun Prince.

Then attached to this trade would be one of the following, in descending order of preference:

Memphis' first
Our second for Memphis' first
Right to swap picks with GSW pick
Two of Memphis' second rounders
One second rounder
Cash
A guarantee that they'll beat us in any remaining games this season
Special rights for Wilford Brimley to preform Marc Cohen's "Walking in Memphis" at any given half-time

If, by chance we end up with a draft pick that does what he does and does it better, trace him next year.

But marvin playing well now is hurting our chance of getting the player (jabari) that does what marvin does and does it better.

Plus like ugli said..... marvin is playing well in the last few games, but has played much worse for years upon years of his career.

So you think what marv has done in a handful of games during a contract year on a crappy team is more indicative of who he is than 10 years of games?

Ok

Marvin for Tayshaun Prince.

Then attached to this trade would be one of the following, in descending order of preference:

Memphis' first
Our second for Memphis' first
Right to swap picks with GSW pick
Two of Memphis' second rounders
One second rounder
Cash
A guarantee that they'll beat us in any remaining games this season
Special rights for Wilford Brimley to preform Marc Cohen's "Walking in Memphis" at any given half-time

This is the exact trade scenario i have come up with too (minus the Marc Cohen part, which is intriguing)

Memphis would get out of one more year of prince and also upgrade for a #playoffpush this year. although Marvin wouldn't be playing STRETCH FOUR (brought to you by Locked on Jazz) for Memphis, i think it would be a good move for them.

I don't really believe this contract year bull. Why isn't Biedrins playing all good or at all, it's his contract year. You'd have to give me stats of a lot of players in there contract years to convince me that there isn't any other factor.

That being said, I want Jabari, so do whatever it takes!!!!

You're right, there is-- and I'm pretty sure you're ignoring the data.

Unless Marv has a career arc never before seen in the NBA, he is a non factor in building your franchise. He is at best a solid veteran you add to your roster as a contender.

Dude, srs? Marv is averaging 10.3PPG and 5.3RPG. His career numbers? 11.0 PPG and 5.1 RPG.

in 2008 (at 21 years of age, mind-you) Marv averaged 14.8 PPG and 5.7 RPG in 80 games at 46% from the field.

You're acting like this season is an anomaly. Umm, nope. This season is pretty much a carbon-copy of 2011-2012 season in Atlanta (in terms of points, rebounds, minutes, role with the team, AND three-point percentage).

The only "anomaly" of Marvin Williams if you look at "10 years of data" is his first season with the Jazz.

This talk about "wow Marvin is performing out of his mind cuz it's a contract year bla ba" is just ridiculous, and statistically unjustifiable.

Should we trade him? If we plan on tanking, then obviously that's the move to make. But let's be intellectually-honest here, and understand that Marvin is 27 years of age, and what he has been doing this season has been replicated in at least one aspect previously in his career. Nothing that he's done has been dramatically "new", in any sense. You have 10 years of data to figure this out.