What's new

Mike Conley Contingency Plan

Am I the only person who thinks Lonzo isn't very good? The Jazz essentially need one player, just one really, and that's a long, athletic wing so that Royce O'Neale either moves to the bench or to the 2 next to Mitchell.
I like Lonzo because I think he fills our needs in a very specific way. A few problems we have that are difficult to rectify with current personnel:

- Length and defensive ability in main lineups (the reality is that your closers will limit you to only having Royce be your defensive guy [sans Rudy]).
- If we move on from Mike, this playoffs did show the importance of having another ball handler to take pressure off Donovan.
- The only way to defeat small ball is to be able to punish it, and the only way to do that is with using him as a lob threat.
- We suck at rebounding. I don't care what stats say over the course of the season. In the crunch we can't pull down clutch rebounds.

So with Lonzo you address these in a few days...

- You're putting a guy at PG who's 6'6" and effectively is the SG on defense or could guard 1-3 or 1-4 depending on the matchup. He could be the default defender, and being able to go from 6'0" to 6'6" is huge.
- He's a ball handler and distributor so it's not like you're finding another non PG guy who has wing size and then putting all the ballhandling burden on Donovan.
- He's a better rebounder and you'd get more bang for your buck by upgrading the rebounding from that position than elsewhere (not that that's where you're seeking it out).
- I think the effect he'd have on Rudy would be pretty big. He's big enough to be able to throw the lobs to Rudy and I think this is an unlocked part of our offense.
- Lonzo has actually been hitting the three pretty well and on good volume the past couple years.
- LaVar brings the entertainment.

I like Lonzo because I think he fills our needs in a very specific way. A few problems we have that are difficult to rectify with current personnel:

- Length and defensive ability in main lineups (the reality is that your closers will limit you to only having Royce be your defensive guy [sans Rudy]).
- If we move on from Mike, this playoffs did show the importance of having another ball handler to take pressure off Donovan.
- The only way to defeat small ball is to be able to punish it, and the only way to do that is with using him as a lob threat.
- We suck at rebounding. I don't care what stats say over the course of the season. In the crunch we can't pull down clutch rebounds.

So with Lonzo you address these in a few days...

- You're putting a guy at PG who's 6'6" and effectively is the SG on defense or could guard 1-3 or 1-4 depending on the matchup. He could be the default defender, and being able to go from 6'0" to 6'6" is huge.
- He's a ball handler and distributor so it's not like you're finding another non PG guy who has wing size and then putting all the ballhandling burden on Donovan.
- He's a better rebounder and you'd get more bang for your buck by upgrading the rebounding from that position than elsewhere (not that that's where you're seeking it out).
- I think the effect he'd have on Rudy would be pretty big. He's big enough to be able to throw the lobs to Rudy and I think this is an unlocked part of our offense.
- Lonzo has actually been hitting the three pretty well and on good volume the past couple years.
- LaVar brings the entertainment.

I like the idea of putting a versatile guard with some size/length next to Mitchell long term--someone who can play both on and off the ball. I'm just not keen on Lonzo being that guy.

Mitchell/Royce/Bogey/BigWing/Gobert is fine for size, length and defense. That big wing needs to be a two-way player who can contribute 15/8. Then Clarkson, Ingles and Favors or Dok come off the bench.

That's the first move I would make. If you want a versatile, long-term guard next to Mitchell, then that's the second move.

Jazz shouldn't over-react.
List of gettable players, pls

The 76ers reportedly turned down an offer of Brogdon and a 1st for Simmons.

Lonzo is gettable, but he is a worse player than Conley.
I agree; on paper. But not for our roster when we are in such a need for perimeter defenders. We need a good perimeter defender much more than a good offensive player.

If we could turn Clarkson into Smart, then we should keep Conley.

There is a 6'5" 214 lbs free agent available that is 26 years old, is currently playing for his country's olympic team that has had a 27 point game and multiple 20 point games in the NBA and has played in 245 regular season games and 17 playoff games.

I like the idea of putting a versatile guard with some size/length next to Mitchell long term--someone who can play both on and off the ball. I'm just not keen on Lonzo being that guy.
Lonzo's PNR numbers are better than I expected. I think he's someone you take a chance on if the price is right. He's a good fit next to Mitchell. I'm certainly not in love with him, but his 3pt shooting has come along. He just offers no scoring versatility whatsoever.

The 76ers reportedly turned down an offer of Brogdon and a 1st for Simmons.
Morey out there working the NBA Zillow... getting his comps up. Simmons is a weird *** fit in Indiana... but he's a weird *** fit anywhere.

I think Malcolm gets moved this summer.

There is a 6'5" 214 lbs free agent available that is 26 years old, is currently playing for his country's olympic team that has had a 27 point game and multiple 20 point games in the NBA and has played in 245 regular season games and 17 playoff games.
1625247175520.gif

Lonzo's PNR numbers are better than I expected. I think he's someone you take a chance on if the price is right. He's a good fit next to Mitchell. I'm certainly not in love with him, but his 3pt shooting has come along. He just offers no scoring versatility whatsoever.
I’d look at his scoring ability primarily being Rudy lobs. I think we could afford less offensive versatility with what he’d give us in defensive versatility plus in transition.

Lonzo may be gettable but not for what we can offer. I’d rather go for the budget versions of Lonzo. I just think you paying for a Tesla but you getting a Prius.

I’d look at his scoring ability primarily being Rudy lobs. I think we could afford less offensive versatility with what he’d give us in defensive versatility plus in transition.
You have to be a scoring threat to make Rudy a lob threat. I don't think he would be great at lobbing to Gobert for the reason. He'd be good at coming off Rudy screens for 3pt shots or kicking to another guy to drive. He has to learn some scoring move like the Ingles fake layup.

Lonzo may be gettable but not for what we can offer. I’d rather go for the budget versions of Lonzo. I just think you paying for a Tesla but you getting a Prius.
We didn't want to pay the price for Jrue, so we got Conley. We should have just paid the price for Jrue. We need a Tesla with Don and Rudy if we want to take that next step.

I'm not saying Lonzo is some badass, but he does fit and we need to pursue him if Conley is intent on leaving. Or Brogdon. Or Smart. We desperately need a 24 mpg+ guy who can defend the perimeter.

We got to stop cutting corners. We don't need to rely on 2nd rounders Quin won't play when there are vets out there he might trust more.

We didn't want to pay the price for Jrue, so we got Conley. We should have just paid the price for Jrue. We need a Tesla with Don and Rudy if we want to take that next step.

I'm not saying Lonzo is some badass, but he does fit and we need to pursue him if Conley is intent on leaving. Or Brogdon. Or Smart. We desperately need a 24 mpg+ guy who can defend the perimeter.

We got to stop cutting corners. We don't need to rely on 2nd rounders Quin won't play when there are vets out there he might trust more.
Mike Conley is way way better than Jrue lmao.