What's new

Mike Conley Contingency Plan

Clarkson/30 for Smart.

Then try to move Favors and sign a wing with the MLE.

This is a semi-realistic scenario I would be happy with.

I like this scenario. I still would like to see the jazz get something in a S&T for Conley if he goes. He seems like a good guy and I doubt he will Hayward us. So there could be something from that as well.

We still will be missing a backup guard too.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Is that without Conley?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Yes. We should also try to get something back for Conley in that scenario as well if possible and go into the tax if it helps the team.

I just like throwing possibilities out there like that.

I want one starter level player that can defend in the 6-5 to 6-9 range that can defend multiple positions and shoots at least 35% from 3. I want two more rotation level players in the 6-5 to 6-9 range that defend and shoot at least 30% from three. And I want a cheap, small ball 5 and back-up PG.

I give zero ****s what it takes to get this done so long as Don and Rudy are still on the team.

There's no way I believe in Lonzo that much.
This is why I’m out... I think this is close to his market money wise... trade wise it’s prolly close. I think with him there is a premium in part because of how high he was drafted and because of his name.

Lonzo is also a guy who has had issues staying on the court. He’s a Toyota... I’d rather pay Mike who is an actual Tesla but needs to go to the shop here and there.

If Mike leaves and all we get is a tpe or a rotation player we don’t have the goods to get Lonzo (and he’s not worth it unless he addresses his weaknesses... which are likely to not change). You’d be more likely getting a Bledsoe or a Rubio.

My 1988 Toyota 4Runner takes issue with this comparison! 245,000 miles and still going strong.

This is why I’m out... I think this is close to his market money wise... trade wise it’s prolly close. I think with him there is a premium in part because of how high he was drafted and because of his name.

I believe in him. I think he would be a perfect fit.

Interesting to see how it is. I have the opposite feel. I think players who had hype then fail to live up to it get oversold and become undervalued. Maybe we arent to that point in Lonzo yet. Maybe that's 3rd contract Lonz0 (when he joins his brother in Charlotte lmao)

We didn't want to pay the price for Jrue, so we got Conley. We should have just paid the price for Jrue. We need a Tesla with Don and Rudy if we want to take that next step.

I'm not saying Lonzo is some badass, but he does fit and we need to pursue him if Conley is intent on leaving. Or Brogdon. Or Smart. We desperately need a 24 mpg+ guy who can defend the perimeter.

We got to stop cutting corners. We don't need to rely on 2nd rounders Quin won't play when there are vets out there he might trust more.
Maybe with DL out of the picture we will stop cutting corners. He makes me think of my sister-in-law, she is obsessed with finding the best deal, even when she has the means to get something that works. I tried to help her find a good gas grill. I told her she could get one from home Depot for $200 that did everything she needed it to. She instead hunted Craig's list, bought one that the the bottom rusted out. Then she bought another one with problems in the gas pipes, then another one that wouldn't get the BTUs anywhere near cooking temps. 5 grills and about $300 later I gave her the one I bought at home Depot for $200, then I bought a better one.

DL is like that I think. He's much rather show you the ****** thing he bought and brag about how much he saved than to buy something for a little more that works. He's especially enamored with fixer-uppers.

Maybe with DL out of the picture we will stop cutting corners. He makes me think of my sister-in-law, she is obsessed with finding the best deal, even when she has the means to get something that works. I tried to help her find a good gas grill. I told her she could get one from home Depot for $200 that did everything she needed it to. She instead hunted Craig's list, bought one that the the bottom rusted out. Then she bought another one with problems in the gas pipes, then another one that wouldn't get the BTUs anywhere near cooking temps. 5 grills and about $300 later I gave her the one I bought at home Depot for $200, then I bought a better one.

DL is like that I think. He's much rather show you the ****** thing he bought and brag about how much he saved than to buy something for a little more that works. He's especially enamored with fixer-uppers.
I wish I could get the quote but from a couple years ago he kept touting how great our development and rehabilitation program was and hoped we could be an example to recruit people who want to develop or something like that…

I mean, the whole premise of that is that these guys aren’t otherwise wanted. And that you rehab them to go on to better things. He didn’t talk about championships or anything but talked about that. I think when he got Ingles and Royce he felt like that was his niche and wanted to really continue to prove that.

I wish I could get the quote but from a couple years ago he kept touting how great our development and rehabilitation program was and hoped we could be an example to recruit people who want to develop or something like that…

I mean, the whole premise of that is that these guys aren’t otherwise wanted. And that you rehab them to go on to better things. He didn’t talk about championships or anything but talked about that. I think when he got Ingles and Royce he felt like that was his niche and wanted to really continue to prove that.
Rayjohn Tucker and Naz would like a word with DL.

Gobert needs to recruit Batum hard. We’d need to clear room. But he’s the type of player we need.
Dump Favors for the space. Sign Udoh.

Do this and nail the 30th pick. As far as Conley goes, keep him if we can give the above. If not, trade him for space which is probably more valuable than any player or pick we’d get and sign @Handlogten's Heros Delon Wright and someone else of that rotation-player caliber if the money works. Aminu maybe who could be had on the super cheap and ha legit upside IMO

Wright-1st round pick?
Mitchell-Clarkson
O’Neale-Ingles
Bogey-Batum-Aminu
Gobert-Udoh-Udoka

Last edited:
I have a question, and maybe this has already been discussed, but are teams able to complete sign & trades with each other for players they both have the bird's rights to?

For example (not saying I want to do this) but the Lakers sign Dennis Schroeder & the Jazz sign Conley, can they then both immediately trade them for each other?

Anyone know the answer to this?

I have a question, and maybe this has already been discussed, but are teams able to complete sign & trades with each other for players they both have the bird's rights to?

For example (not saying I want to do this) but the Lakers sign Dennis Schroeder & the Jazz sign Conley, can they then both immediately trade them for each other?

You can do this. Both teams would have to be under the apron after the trade and both would be hard capped at 140.6M for the remainder of the season.

Golden State and Brooklyn did this with Durant and Russell. Boston and Charlotte did it with Rozier and Kemba.

However, as White Chocolate pointed out, because both teams would be hard capped afterwards it is very unlikely the Jazz or Lakers can take on a sign and trade player without moving off some other contracts.

Hey maybe we can get Westbrook! :D

You can do this. Both teams would have to be under the apron after the trade and both would be hard capped at 140.6M for the remainder of the season.
So basically, the Jazz can't do a sign & trade with Conley. Because virtually any way I look at it, with the signing of Conley (and matching salaries in return) they'll be over the Apron.

I realize this is rough projection and some of these players aren't guaranteed, but I just listed them out because you still have to fill the roster with minimum deals.

Attachments

• jazzsalary5.PNG
    jazzsalary5.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 20