What's new

Mitchell at Point Guard

nateboz

The Jazz have clearly played their best basketball all season when Don has the ball in his hands. Plus starting Rolls makes him play so much better.
Favors plays much better with Mitchell and Ingles running the ball to him as well.
Rubio, Rxum, and Neto are always hurt or simply just inconsistent.
So the question is, should Mitchell be the point guard moving forward? Or why not?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

For me the answer is fairly simple.

Jazz need to upgrade and PF, SG or PG

We need to keep Favors. He is so much better than given credit. He’s is a bonafide stud. So PF is out.

That leaves SG and PG. I want Brogdon so that means Mitchell plays the 2.

But here’s where I am swimming in waters over may head. What’s easier for the Jazz to upgrade? SG or PG? Mitchell starts at the other.

Mitchell can do more with the ball in his hands than any of our guys. He's a threat to pull up from 28 feet. He's a threat to get all the way to the rim. He can pull up from mid-range. He can deliver big passes. He can run the pick-and-roll. Also, he's big and strong enough to not get bullied by any of the PGs in the league. Whereas, Kris Middleton was scoring over him again and again when they were matched up.

Instead of bringing in a Mike Conley at $30MM to run point, we could bring in a decent two-way SG at half the cost and come out equal or better on both ends. Who knows, maybe Exum will even show up at some point.

Mitchell can do more with the ball in his hands than any of our guys. He's a threat to pull up from 28 feet. He's a threat to get all the way to the rim. He can pull up from mid-range. He can deliver big passes. He can run the pick-and-roll. Also, he's big and strong enough to not get bullied by any of the PGs in the league. Whereas, Kris Middleton was scoring over him again and again when they were matched up.

Instead of bringing in a Mike Conley at $30MM to run point, we could bring in a decent two-way SG at round half the cost and come out equal or better on both ends. Who knows, maybe Exum will even show up at some point.

We don’t need a decent 2 way SG. We need a good (see borderline all star) one. One that opens the floor for Mitchell and asists on perimeter D.

Who fits that bill? (Genuine question). I’m on the Brogdon train until educates otherwise.

We don’t need a decent 2 way SG. We need a good (see borderline all star) one. One that opens the floor for Mitchell and asists on perimeter D.

Who fits that bill? (Genuine question). I’m on the Brogdon train until educates otherwise.

It's nice to have another guard who can run the team and take pressure off of Mitchell. Brogdon would be great. He's restricted though, isn't he? Otherwise, we could tell him he can be a starting PG on a 55-win team, rather than back up Bledsoe.

In the past, two-way SGs might have included prime Wesley Matthews (before his injury), Danny Green, Richard Convington, etc.

It's nice to have another guard who can run the team and take pressure off of Mitchell. Brogdon would be great. He's restricted though, isn't he? Otherwise, we could tell him he can be a starting PG on a 55-win team, rather than back up Bledsoe.

In the past, two-way SGs might have included prime Wesley Matthews (before his injury), Danny Green, Richard Convington, etc.

Non of those names inspire me. And we can still tell Brogdon that. Make a toxic offer.

**** it. It’s time for risk with this team. Swing big or go the **** home.

Yes, Mitchell should be our PG moving forward (unless we find a better PG solution)

What we need is a starting PG or SG who can play next to Donovan and be the #2 scoring option (get us 15-20 PPG), #2 shot creator and secondary playmaker. This player doesn't have to be an great individual defender (We have those), he just needs to be adequate enough defensively that our team defense doesn't decline much if at all.

The other thought is who might just really want to play next to Mitchell/ play for Snyder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, Mitchell should be our PG moving forward (unless we find a better PG solution)

What we need is a starting PG or SG who can play next to Donovan and be the #2 scoring option (get us 15-20 PPG), #2 shot creator and secondary playmaker. This player doesn't have to be an great individual defender (We have those), he just needs to be adequate enough defensively that our team defense doesn't decline much if at all.

Jrue

Frank Jackson has been playing better of late. Scored 16 against the Nuggets. Could be the PG version of "Jabari Parker"

Jrue might be a good option, but an all-star level PG/SG may not be necessary. The Jazz are most effective with 3 or more reliable shooters on the floor. But WHERE they come from isn't super important as much as just getting them out there. Donovan is best with the ball in his hands and, while he has the length to guard 1-3, he's straight up best at the PG spot. But Utah has to have another creator with range. I love Ricky, I really do, but Utah needs a another guard who can facilitate, create his own shot, and has at least semi-reliable range.

It is not obligatory for Mitchell to play, with Mitchell you need a player who can also play off the ball is that he knows how to handle the ball ... a McCollum for example would be perfect .. the type of player to put it together is this ..for sure there is that Rubio must leave ..

To get Brogdon, we have to dump Favors. To get Jrue, we would have to use picks, but it's possible we can get him if we extend Favors to a lower number.

Regardless, I want Donovan to play at least half of his minutes at PG. Instead of all these big time targets, we need to realistically zone in on full mle guys like Danny Green, Beverley, Bojan, JJ Reddick, Wes Matthews, Aminu, Bullock, etc.

If we could extend Favors and add a bad expiring plus a pick come draft time, we look to add major players via the draft. Our "3rd star" will likely need to come from the draft anyway.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

To get Brogdon, we have to dump Favors. To get Jrue, we would have to use picks, but it's possible we can get him if we extend Favors to a lower number.

Regardless, I want Donovan to play at least half of his minutes at PG. Instead of all these big time targets, we need to realistically zone in on full mle guys like Danny Green, Beverley, Bojan, JJ Reddick, Wes Matthews, Aminu, Bullock, etc.

If we could extend Favors and add a bad expiring plus a pick come draft time, we look to add major players via the draft. Our "3rd star" will likely need to come from the draft anyway.

I'm not sold on the draft being our likely avenue for getting the 3rd cog, but you're right that's probably where it'll come from. The Jazz are still probably going to have to trade up to make that happen though, which will mean we still have to give up assets for something that isn't sure fire.

I can see where Utah would target full MLE guys or others under the radar at the start of the offseason as those would be easier gets. Utah's system also lends itself to players out-performing where they would on other teams, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities that a guy like Bogan or Beverly could become something like we need.

I'm not sold on the draft being our likely avenue for getting the 3rd cog, but you're right that's probably where it'll come from. The Jazz are still probably going to have to trade up to make that happen though, which will mean we still have to give up assets for something that isn't sure fire.

I can see where Utah would target full MLE guys or others under the radar at the start of the offseason as those would be easier gets. Utah's system also lends itself to players out-performing where they would on other teams, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities that a guy like Bogan or Beverly could become something like we need.
Yep.

My thinking has been - extend Favors to a lower number, trade 2019 1st for 2020 1st, trade cap space for another 2020 1st, get the best MLE type guy we can.

We would have 3 1st rounders for the 2020 draft. If that can't get us a good player via trade, we look to use 3 picks to trade up in the draft.