What's new

Mitchell at Point Guard

Bledsoe got an average of $17.5 per year. I think Brogdon could get more than that. I think he will get more than that. Close to half of the league will have max cap space. He is at an age which entices teams with cap space. He seems to compliment any team, any star.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
This is a good point. Even if the bucks aren't willing to pay Malcom what he gets offered, we still might get out bid by another, non bucks team

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Could we sacrifice favors, sign brogdon, and then offer favors a contract? (I agree that the bucks won't let brogdon go though so it's moot. I'm just curious)

Maybe we could decline on Favors, sign Brogdon, and then sign Favors, but we would only have $30 - Brogdon's contract. We could also use the full Room Exception which is $4.7 or the Bi-Annual Exception which is $3.6.

Lets say we get Brogdon for $20 (optimistic), we would have roughly $10 for Favors. That's the best case scenario without thinking about dumping Bradley or Grayson so open up another $4 million.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/values-of-201819-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html

Maybe we could decline on Favors, sign Brogdon, and then sign Favors, but we would only have $30 - Brogdon's contract. We could also use the full Room Exception which is $4.7 or the Bi-Annual Exception which is $3.6.

Lets say we get Brogdon for $20 (optimistic), we would have roughly $10 for Favors. That's the best case scenario without thinking about dumping Bradley or Grayson so open up another $4 million.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/values-of-201819-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html

Damn basically impossible to have both favors and brogdon or someone in his price range. That sucks

hopeful we dump Bradley and Grayson. there's just no point. Let's see how much DL has to give away in order to get rid of them both.

hopeful we dump Bradley and Grayson. there's just no point. Let's see how much DL has to give away in order to get rid of them both.
I honestly think a deal with Charlotte makes perfect sense. Bradley was a UNC guy and Grayson a Duke guy. Those fans are super loyal so it could be a good business move for Charlotte.

Grayson, Bradley, and cap space
for
Marvin and Charlotte's top 4 protected 1st

Charlotte picks up two young players while shedding $10 million in salaries when they are staring at the luxury if they keep Kemba. We get Marvin who is a solid contributor who loves Utah and is on an expiring deal. Oh, and we get that first rounder...

I honestly think a deal with Charlotte makes perfect sense. Bradley was a UNC guy and Grayson a Duke guy. Those fans are super loyal so it could be a good business move for Charlotte.

Grayson, Bradley, and cap space
for
Marvin and Charlotte's top 4 protected 1st

Charlotte picks up two young players while shedding $10 million in salaries when they are staring at the luxury if they keep Kemba. We get Marvin who is a solid contributor who loves Utah and is on an expiring deal. Oh, and we get that first rounder...

if anything, we're sending the protected 1st to Charlotte, not the other way around. both are non-NBA caliber players who have more chances of being cut immediately than playing for Charlotte.

Grayson Allen is basically a poorman version of Pat Connaughton, who could've been had at 1.5mil a year. his rookie season is "Nik Stauskas"ly bad that we have to give away pick(s) in order to get rid of him at this point

if anything, we're sending the protected 1st to Charlotte, not the other way around. both are non-NBA caliber players who have more chances of being cut immediately than playing for Charlotte.
Charlotte will be desperate to shed salary this summer. They plan on keeping Kemba at the max which will put them well over the luxury.

Grayson and Bradley have value for Charlotte. They are on cheap deals and still could become contributors.

Charlotte will be desperate to shed salary this summer. They plan on keeping Kemba at the max which will put them well over the luxury.

Grayson and Bradley have value for Charlotte. They are on cheap deals and still could become contributors.

then this deal ain't happening. we are trying to create cap space to find players in FA this summer, not the opposite of that. we are getting rid of Braley and Grayson simply because DL can find us players that are cheaper and better, creating more cap spaces in the process. not a hard thing to do.

then this deal ain't happening. we are trying to create cap space to find players in FA this summer, not the opposite of that.
This a deal we do when we realize we can't get....

Middleton
Brogdon
AD
KD
Kawhi
Russell
Tobias
Randle
Mirotic
Jrue

We shouldn't overpay for a few deep bench guys (like and no offense Thabo, Jonas and Udoh) when we could get an asset for taking a large expiring like Biyombo, Marvin or MKG.

This a deal we do when we realize we can't get....

Middleton
Brogdon
AD
KD
Kawhi
Russell
Tobias
Randle
Mirotic
Jrue

We shouldn't overpay for a few deep bench guys (like and no offense Thabo, Jonas and Udoh) when we could get an asset for taking a large expiring like Biyombo, Marvin or MKG.

my point stands. we're giving away assets for Grayson and Bradley, not getting.

and before we go that route, there are a lot of "in-between" options we can go for such as Satoransky, Oubre, Portis, etc. These players aren't quite the stars/high quality starters you've listed above just yet, but still very much has the potential to be.
This strategically is the ideal approach for a small market team like us, cuz this squad at the moment clearly needs something more than just end of bench scrubs aka non-difference maker, but have essentially zero chance of signing 90% of the players you listed above. gotta take a gamble at this point, or else we are done when DM's rookie deal expires.

The ball is in his hands no matter who he plays with, that doesn't make him a PG. Ingles plays more PG than Mitchell does. Should we also trade him so we can have the ball in Mitchell's hands even more?
Not sure what you're arguing here. I didn't say anything about Mitchell being a PG.

I don't see any top tier or even 2nd tier FA's (like Harris) signing with the Jazz. Lindsey probably exercises the option in Favs and stays over the cap so the Jazz have the full MLE. Might even overpay to keep Rubio on a 1+1 so that contract can be an tradeable asset (along with Favs) at the deadline.

I don't see any top tier or even 2nd tier FA's (like Harris) signing with the Jazz. Lindsey probably exercises the option in Favs and stays over the cap so the Jazz have the full MLE. Might even overpay to keep Rubio on a 1+1 so that contract can be an tradeable asset (along with Favs) at the deadline.
DL didn't help himself much with the draft/moves he made in the last summer, which hurts the jazzfans' confidence in him for this upcoming summer.

For example, have we drafted Shamet with the 1st round pick, we'd either be looking at the top 3 seed in the west or having Tobias on our team, or both.

DL didn't help himself much with the draft/moves he made in the last summer, which hurts the jazzfans' confidence in him for this upcoming summer.

For example, have we drafted Shamet with the 1st round pick, we'd either be looking at the top 3 seed in the west or having Tobias on our team, or both.
You do know Shamet was far from the centerpiece in the Harris deal, right? Landry doesn't land you Tobias, haha.

I was livid when he drafted Allen. Grayson had some potential as a shooter off the bench, but very limited upside as a 4yr senior. Lindsey's draft record has been spotty. A couple of terrific picks in Mitchell and Gobert, but dismal failures for the most part. This draft is supposedly weak, so the pick won't be viewed as much of an asset. Dennis may as well sell it so at least there's more money in the team coffers. You know, money to spend on all those quality free agents Dennis signs (sarcasm intended).

Once Bledsoe signed, I thought the same thing with Rubio. Satoransky will be our there but we seem loyal and chemistry matters. I see DL doing a 1+1 at about 15 per.

I was livid when he drafted Allen. Grayson had some potential as a shooter off the bench, but very limited upside as a 4yr senior. Lindsey's draft record has been spotty. A couple of terrific picks in Mitchell and Gobert, but dismal failures for the most part. This draft is supposedly weak, so the pick won't be viewed as much of an asset. Dennis may as well sell it so at least there's more money in the team coffers. You know, money to spend on all those quality free agents Dennis signs (sarcasm intended).
the problem with Grayson is more than just the upside, it's with his general uselessness. has been completely unplayable, which is kinda unexpected for a 4yr senior who has been playing at the highest level of college basketball. the best case scenario for him at this point is to follow the career footsteps of Pat Connaughton, who could've easily been had at 1.5 mil a year. a waste of money for us to pay him at over 2mil a year even if he does improve his game in his second year. like I said, dumping him and Bradley early could open us about 4M worth of cap space. even if we don't use it, finding better and cheaper players aren't hard to do.

You do know Shamet was far from the centerpiece in the Harris deal, right? Landry doesn't land you Tobias, haha.
that's why I said either...or. putting together a package for Tobias would've been more difficult for the Jazz, yes. but it was also DL's decision to overpay Dante that put us in this bad position. we could've easily found our own "Wilson Chandler" in the summer in preparation for this trade. instead, now we are looking at Dante X-ray