What's new

Mitchell at Point Guard

Yep.

My thinking has been - extend Favors to a lower number, trade 2019 1st for 2020 1st, trade cap space for another 2020 1st, get the best MLE type guy we can.

We would have 3 1st rounders for the 2020 draft. If that can't get us a good player via trade, we look to use 3 picks to trade up in the draft.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

That might work, but one of the picks would need to be, at least, a late lotto to happen. The issue is I don't see a lot of situations where Utah can get that. The 2019 for 2020 swap would probably have some protections on the 2020 and the capspace for 2020 1st would probably have the same as well. And there usually aren't a number of deals where three 1st rounders net a top pick at draft time. Least none that I recall. Getting Donovan like we did was a once in a decade move for a franchise. I don't think we'd get that lucky again.

@Gilles de Rais
@Saint Cy of JFC

How are each of the next three drafts, 2019-2021?

If we could stockpile assets as Lopo suggests and move up to about 9 in one of the drafts through multiple 1sts and maybe something else, in which of those drafts does that make best sense?

That might work, but one of the picks would need to be, at least, a late lotto to happen. The issue is I don't see a lot of situations where Utah can get that. The 2019 for 2020 swap would probably have some protections on the 2020 and the capspace for 2020 1st would probably have the same as well. And there usually aren't a number of deals where three 1st rounders net a top pick at draft time. Least none that I recall. Getting Donovan like we did was a once in a decade move for a franchise. I don't think we'd get that lucky again.
The main thing will be having a bulk amount of picks to trade. Boston isn't seen as a major threat because the quality of their picks as much as the amount. It's very possible that only 1 of Boston's many picks ends up being inside the top 10. Even then, that Memphis pick will be closer to 10 than 1.

So let's just say we trade our 2019 1st (mid-20's) to a team where the 2020 1st is projected more like late teens.

Then trade cap space, a guy like Bradley and a 2nd for a top 10 protected 2020 1st from Charlotte if we take a contract like Marvin or MKG.

Our 3 2020 picks would be late teens (1st trade), probably 11-16 (Charlotte), and mid-20's (ours).

If we package those to get into the top 10 or package them to get an unprotected pick way in the future, it's all about having that extra asset to dangle in trade offers.

anybody who doesn't think Mitchell's ceiling is as a lead guard should just stop watching basketball. at 6'3" that is simply where he has the most potential from a size/length standpoint. but mostly, you simply want the ball in that dude's hands.

To be fair, that's probably where it's going. He matches up better there and does have a good handle on setting the offense. As he's the #1 option, the option should be his how to initiate and create.

anybody who doesn't think Mitchell's ceiling is as a lead guard should just stop watching basketball. at 6'3" that is simply where he has the most potential from a size/length standpoint. but mostly, you simply want the ball in that dude's hands.
Which is why DL's attempt in acquiring Conley a such concerning move. Apparently he knew Rubio isn't the answer to our PG position, great. But neither is Conley, if not worse

Go. Get. Klay.

Coming here could do wonders for how his career is remembered.

Now he’s looked at as a phenomenal all-time shooter. IMO, he’s more than that. If he came here, and we won two rings, he could propel himself into all-time great status. Not top 25 or anything. But way higher.

If he’s stays there, he’s sort of an afterthought because of Curry and Durant.

The ball is in his hands no matter who he plays with, that doesn't make him a PG. Ingles plays more PG than Mitchell does. Should we also trade him so we can have the ball in Mitchell's hands even more?

Mitchell-Exum
Thompson-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Favors-Crowder-Sef
Gobert

I’d want Sef back too.

The shooting would be sick.

To get Brogdon, we have to dump Favors. To get Jrue, we would have to use picks, but it's possible we can get him if we extend Favors to a lower number.

Regardless, I want Donovan to play at least half of his minutes at PG. Instead of all these big time targets, we need to realistically zone in on full mle guys like Danny Green, Beverley, Bojan, JJ Reddick, Wes Matthews, Aminu, Bullock, etc.

If we could extend Favors and add a bad expiring plus a pick come draft time, we look to add major players via the draft. Our "3rd star" will likely need to come from the draft anyway.

wo wo, hold on. where does that come from? all we gotta do is to offer Brogdon what we are paying for Rubio this year which is $14975000, if not less. Bucks ain't paying him more than Bledsoe.

The ball is in his hands no matter who he plays with, that doesn't make him a PG. Ingles plays more PG than Mitchell does. Should we also trade him so we can have the ball in Mitchell's hands even more?
I think what he's saying is that since Donovan needs the ball in his hands to be at his best, we should pair him up with players who are comfortable with both on-ball and off-ball situations, instead of a bunch of ball-hogs who are ineffective in off-ball(such as Rubio when his shots are off) and constantly taking the ball out of Donovan's hand. Ingles can make plays with the ball in his hands, yes. But he is also comfortable making plays off-ball, which is huge for the Jazz's offense. We need more players like him.

I think what he's saying is that since Donovan needs the ball in his hands to be at his best, we should pair him up with players who are comfortable with both on-ball and off-ball situations, instead of a bunch of ball-hogs who are ineffective in off-ball(such as Rubio when his shots are off) and constantly taking the ball out of Donovan's hand. Ingles can make plays with the ball in his hands, yes. But he is also comfortable making plays off-ball, which is huge for the Jazz's offense. We need more players like him.
Rubio is a ball hog? Cmon.

And yes, the Jazz need to upgrade Rubio. Everyone knows that and it was publicly available knowledge the Jazz tried.

Its also public knowledge the Jazz tries to add another PG (Conley). The Jazz need to get ball handlers so Mitchell's usage doesn't get out of control.

For me the answer is fairly simple.

Jazz need to upgrade and PF, SG or PG

We need to keep Favors. He is so much better than given credit. He’s is a bonafide stud. So PF is out.

That leaves SG and PG. I want Brogdon so that means Mitchell plays the 2.

But here’s where I am swimming in waters over may head. What’s easier for the Jazz to upgrade? SG or PG? Mitchell starts at the other.
I think you could have Mitchell at the point and brogdan at the 2

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

For me the answer is fairly simple.

Jazz need to upgrade and PF, SG or PG

We need to keep Favors. He is so much better than given credit. He’s is a bonafide stud. So PF is out.

That leaves SG and PG. I want Brogdon so that means Mitchell plays the 2.

But here’s where I am swimming in waters over may head. What’s easier for the Jazz to upgrade? SG or PG? Mitchell starts at the other.
Problem is that Favs does his best work when Gobert is off the floor and Favs slides to the center position.

Brogdon seems a pretty average option to make him your swing for the fence move
I disagree. I think he is perfect for this team. Would unlock the offense and take the team to another level.
Looking at brogdons stats he is a top shooter in the league. Shooting is very important in the NBA. I wonder where he ranks as a shooter. 1? 2? 3? He is up there. Over 50% from the field, iirc over 43% from 3, and might lead the league in free throw percentage. Over 94% iirc.

Plus he is the right age. High character. And even has some creation/drive game. Good defender.

Perfect

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Go. Get. Klay.

Coming here could do wonders for how his career is remembered.

Now he’s looked at as a phenomenal all-time shooter. IMO, he’s more than that. If he came here, and we won two rings, he could propel himself into all-time great status. Not top 25 or anything. But way higher.

If he’s stays there, he’s sort of an afterthought because of Curry and Durant.

I’d ***

Rubio is a ball hog? Cmon.

And yes, the Jazz need to upgrade Rubio. Everyone knows that and it was publicly available knowledge the Jazz tried.

Its also public knowledge the Jazz tries to add another PG (Conley). The Jazz need to get ball handlers so Mitchell's usage doesn't get out of control.
Rubio's effectiveness diminishes when he doesn't have the ball. He needs to catch fires with his shot in order for defenders to pay him any respect in off-ball situations.

We need additional ballhandlers, yes. but that additional ballhandler also needs to be able to do damages off-ball on a consistent basis since our franchise player already needs the ball in his hand to be at his absolute best, which is why Conley would've been a terrible fit.