What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

Here, this got me curious because I was basing my claim on watching Simmons and the 76ers. The fact is Jazz dont have Mitchell do what Simmons does on rebounds. Even when Simmons is defending a 3 he crashes the boards instead of getting ready for an outlet pass like Mitchell usually does or running down the court when he is not playing PG. Mitchell never crashes for offensive boards he runs back but lets compare the two on advanced stats.

https://stats.nba.com/player/1627732/rebounds-dash/

Simmons gets 76% of his rebounds with 0 players around him so those are uncontested rebounds. That is 6.1 of his rebounds. He gets 1.7 with 1 player around and 0.1 with more than 1 player around. While Mitchells are not much better as far as contested or not, it shows that his rebounds are not impressive it just the positioning of him as a player and the how the team plays.

If you compare these numbers to actual good rebounders it is very different. Embiid is a good rebounder and a lot of his boards are contested 46%. There is a huge difference between those.

Again its great that he gets rebounds but its an empty stat. Just like Westbrooks were last year.

Ron I get why you're pissed at the homers - but Simmons was an elite rebounder throughout his career, so not buying the whole he is average thingy. He would be getting way more rebounds if he was playing the 4 - in fact one of the reasons for his rebounding drop offs was he was staying glued to the perimeter more often on defense (that is what I was noticing).

When I watch Simmons I can tell you a few things right off the bat.
1. He's damn good at a lot of things and anything but overrated.
2. His potential clearly makes him a once in a generation-esque player.

We understand your love for DM...

But in all honesty Simmons is going to be a superstar. The game he played last night was just ridiculous, triple double in 21mins.

I’m all for being biased on occasions, but comparing Simmons to Carter-Williams is not fair.

I didn’t compare him to MCW. I meant that he will win ROY without having an outside shot like mcw did when he won.

Ron I get why you're pissed at the homers - but Simmons was an elite rebounder throughout his career, so not buying the whole he is average thingy. He would be getting way more rebounds if he was playing the 4 - in fact one of the reasons for his rebounding drop offs was he was staying glued to the perimeter more often on defense (that is what I was noticing).
Alright, you're a homer as well. But you're one of the likable homers.

Mitchell is climbing high on the all-time greatest rookie ladder.

Since the 3 point line started Mitchell is the 9th highest scoring rookie per 100 possessions of all time of rookies that play more than 30 min per game. He has passed up AI and Carmelo. If Mitchell keeps scoring what he has averaged in December and January for the rest of the season in the same amount of minutes he would end up #2 just behind Jordan on that list. Thats what I call a ROY season.

Oh, Simmons has dropped down to a still pretty good 95th, but not quite as good as former 76er ROY of the year MCW at 72nd.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...er_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=30&order_by=pts_per_poss

I didn’t compare him to MCW. I meant that he will win ROY without having an outside shot like mcw did when he won.
I am shocked how similar their numbers are after you mentioned his name though.

PER 100 (the same on per game but I like per 100 better)
Simmons Points 22.3 Assists 10.1 Rebounds 11 steals 2.5 Turnovers 5.5
MCW Points 23.4 Assists 8.8 Rebounds 8.8 steals 2.6 Turnovers 5.0

Those are some very mirror stats. I am positive you wont find a more similar rookie stats to Simmons.

Last edited:
DM has better outside shooting than Simmons, but Simmons is a better scorer inside the paint, has better rebounding, passing, vision and defense. Simmons can do everything on a court like a Lebron, Mitchell can only score.

When Simmons develops his outside shooting, it will be all over for the nba.

DM has better outside shooting than Simmons, but Simmons is a better scorer inside the paint, has better rebounding, passing, vision and defense. Simmons can do everything on a court like a Lebron, Mitchell can only score.

When Simmons develops his outside shooting, it will be all over for the nba.
I love the saying “shot development”. Guys with broken shots or are bad shooters will likely be bad shooters their entire career. You either can shoot or you can’t, try and develop it all you want. Tweaking guys shots is one thing.....fixing a shot as broken as Simmons is very unlikely and is rarely, if ever done.

I believe Simmons will have a great career, one that may even be better than Mitchell’s career... that being said if you offered me Simmons for Mitchell tomorrow I’d turn you down. Donovan is a special player and a great dude. I like Donovan more than any athlete I’ve watched or listened to. The kid is an incredible human being and will have a great career. I don’t care about comparing him to Simmons and I’ll never wish we had Simmons instead of Donovan. Both will be great players.

....and again do yourself a favor and stop putting Lebron and Simmons in the same sentence. It’s absurd.

I love the saying “shot development”. Guys with broken shots or are bad shooters will likely be bad shooters their entire career. You either can shoot or you can’t, try and develop it all you want. Tweaking guys shots is one thing.....fixing a shot as broken as Simmons is very unlikely and is rarely, if ever done.

I believe Simmons will have a great career, one that may even be better than Mitchell’s career... that being said if you offered me Simmons for Mitchell tomorrow I’d turn you down. Donovan is a special player and a great dude. I like Donovan more than any athlete I’ve watched or listened to. The kid is an incredible human being and will have a great career. I don’t care about comparing him to Simmons and I’ll never wish we had Simmons instead of Donovan. Both will be great players.

....and again do yourself a favor and stop putting Lebron and Simmons in the same sentence. It’s absurd.
DM is a quality player no doubt...

But I’m very sure FO would be trading DM for Simmons if it was possible.

Simmons is just on another level, the last 2 games he literally looks unstoppable. Even hit a couple of nice jump shots.

What’s the issue comparing him with LeBron, his potential is LeBron level player.

DM is a quality player no doubt...

But I’m very sure FO would be trading DM for Simmons if it was possible.

Simmons is just on another level, the last 2 games he literally looks unstoppable. Even hit a couple of nice jump shots.

What’s the issue comparing him with LeBron, his potential is LeBron level player.