What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

If the Sixers are blocking out players so Simmons can rebound how is Embiid 6th in the league in RPG with 11, Saric averaging the same amount as Favors with 7 and Covington averaging 6?

Simmons is also top 20 in the NBA for three point shots contested per game.

They are a good rebounding team. That is what I mean. Rebounds are a product of the system and a team effort. The individual stat mean next to nothing. 76ers have him crash in for defense rebounds often, they have other wing players run. Its not that he is a bad rebounder, but its nothing special. Simmons is a great player, just not on the same level as Mitchell as a rookie.

Why do all of the player-only fans come on here with Jazz names? UtahJazzz, iJazz, ncoloradojazz, etc.

They are a good rebounding team. That is what I mean. Rebounds are a product of the system and a team effort. The individual stat mean next to nothing. 76ers have him crash in for defense rebounds often, they have other wing players run. Its not that he is a bad rebounder, but its nothing special. Simmons is a great player, just not on the same level as Mitchell as a rookie.

Your delusion is simply rediculous. Ben is not on the
same level as DM as a rookie?
That is right, because Simmons is simply better.

And your delusional in your assertion that Simmons will be better than Lebron. We all have our flaws.

Says the guy who quotes Lebron and thinks Lebron was not just being nice. Lebron does not think Simmons will be better than him.

Tell me one team that is successful with a PG that cant shoot? Simmons has to learn to shoot or switch to PF to be a good player in this league.

Who will learn to shoot well first Simmons or Fultz? My money is on Fultz's broken shot first.

Simmons is pretty good but is benefiting from playing next to really good teammates. He has little pressure on him in the game and when the game matters in the 4th he steps back and lets the big boys go to work. That is why his best quarter is the 1st. If we just took 4th quarter #s it would not even be a discussion between the two players because it is a very big gap that Mitchell is far ahead in.

This season has shown that Simmons ceiling might not be that high. He has got worse every month of this season. That is not a good sign for his upside. It is the opposite of Mitchell who has got better every month this year.

And your delusional in your assertion that Simmons will be better than Lebron. We all have our flaws.

I agree that Mitchell is a big under dog and might not win it. Most national media members will readily admit they dont watch the Jazz play often. We are a small market but on top of that we have a ton of late games that lazy East coast media people dont stay up for. Simmons had a hot start that many watched and that is a big obstacle for Mitchell to overcome. But obviously as we know Mitchell has been the better player of the two since December.

I do think he has a chance if Simmons continues to fade at the rate he is and Mitchell keeps having big games. Mitchell needs a couple more huge games, I think he has it in him.

We understand your love for DM...

But in all honesty Simmons is going to be a superstar. The game he played last night was just ridiculous, triple double in 21mins.

I’m all for being biased on occasions, but comparing Simmons to Carter-Williams is not fair.

Its a pretty good comparison... Take a look at the stats. If Simmons never learns to shoot and refuses to play PF then his career might go more towards MKW than anyone else and especially Lebrons direction.

They scored about the same amount as rookies. Their rebounding rate was pretty similar. They had the same amount of steals. They got about the same amount of assists. Carter-Williams could shoot free throws and even though he sucked at threes was a better shooter than Simmons. Simmons is a little better at scoring at the rim.

But we all know you are a not an Australian player homer... So we can trust you on this one.

For what it's worth, Utah was last in the 2016-2017 season, with 94.7 offensive possessions per game, but they are 26th this season, with 98.3 offensive possessions per game. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/possessions-per-game

While jumping from 30th to 26th doesn't sound like much, I think the 3.6 possessions/game is pretty substantial. Most teams are clustered in the 99-103 range, for what it's worth. Another 3.6 possessions/game increase next season (if they do that) would put the Jazz in the #12 spot.
We have picked it up a bit. I was looking at NBA.com pace and we were dead last again a week or two ago but now we are 27th.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=1

But the argument is still the same, when you compare the two players per 100 possessions or pace corrected stats. Mitchell jumps ahead of Simmons even more.

It was Lebron who said Simmons has a chance to be better than himself.
So you think Lebron is deluded?

https://syndication.bleacherreport....has-opportunity-to-be-better-than-me.amp.html
I don’t care that Lebron was being nice about a rookie one day. We know what Lebron is already and his career isn’t over. He is a top 3 player of all time possibly #1 at the end of his career. Don’t even begin to try and infer a rookie who can’t shoot is even to be used in the same line as Lebron James. People don’t realize greatness sitting in front of them. Lebron is incredible. His humility sucks, he has some serious need to be talked about constantly and is a drama queen. Even with all that I will defend adamantly the fact he is probably the greatest all around player ever and will go down as one of the top 3 to ever play the game.

I also think you’re ridiculous to put Mitchell so low at this point. Right now Simmons has a bigger body and great floor vision, but as someone said he has a kryptonite, and that’s shooting...which Mitchell can do and does do much better than Simmons. Mitchell can drive, SHOOT FREE THROWS, and has an attitude, athleticism, and drive that can compete with anyone. Simmons team is very talented and is sitting at .500 in the eastern conference. Simmons has little to no pressure and IMO the team he’s on is far underachieving at this point. Lebron took a team of d-league players to the finals. To compare Simmons anywhere near Lebron is absoulty removed from reality and is much more naive than saying Mitchell will have a better career than Simmons.

If the Sixers are blocking out players so Simmons can rebound how is Embiid 6th in the league in RPG with 11, Saric averaging the same amount as Favors with 7 and Covington averaging 6?

Simmons is also top 20 in the NBA for three point shots contested per game.

Here, this got me curious because I was basing my claim on watching Simmons and the 76ers. The fact is Jazz dont have Mitchell do what Simmons does on rebounds. Even when Simmons is defending a 3 he crashes the boards instead of getting ready for an outlet pass like Mitchell usually does or running down the court when he is not playing PG. Mitchell never crashes for offensive boards he runs back but lets compare the two on advanced stats.

https://stats.nba.com/player/1627732/rebounds-dash/

Simmons gets 76% of his rebounds with 0 players around him so those are uncontested rebounds. That is 6.1 of his rebounds. He gets 1.7 with 1 player around and 0.1 with more than 1 player around. While Mitchells are not much better as far as contested or not, it shows that his rebounds are not impressive it just the positioning of him as a player and the how the team plays.

If you compare these numbers to actual good rebounders it is very different. Embiid is a good rebounder and a lot of his boards are contested 46%. There is a huge difference between those.

Again its great that he gets rebounds but its an empty stat. Just like Westbrooks were last year.

Mitchell is a poor man"s Derick Rose. I Don"t think DM will ever be a MVP like Rose.

Maybe, we will see. I would rather be a poor mans Rose that is healthy and can shoot than Michael-Carter Williams clone who is the closest statistical player to him. Its ironic that they play on the same team.

I guess he could get lucky and have media wrongfully give him the ROY just like they did MCW

Last edited:
Maybe, we will see. I would rather be a poor mans Rose that is healthy and can shoot than Michael-Carter Williams clone who is the closest statistical player to him.

A Carter Williams clone who is going to be a top 5 player in the league.

A Carter Williams clone who is going to be a top 5 player in the league.

Yes, whatever league Australia has these days. He will be a top 5 player in that league in 5 years when teams give up on him because he cant shoot and they cant win with him.

Do you guys notice that whenever Donovan is brought up in the ROTY discussion within the media they always preface what they say about Donovan by making it clear that Ben Simmons is the front runner? The media has already made up their minds.

This is prob true of the major takes by the media, but there are many basketball analysts who talk about the race being wide open. The Nuggets TV crew basically rubbished Simmons and said Mitchell was way better. (I guess they can't get that 41 pt stuffing out of their minds)

Simmons stat line today (19/17/14 and 2 blocks) was pretty sick (and that was despite shooting 40% 6-15 from the field).
If we are all honest Simmons is winning it. We all love Donovan, and are extremely happy to have Donovan. I truly don’t think the ROY award means much to Donovan and he isn’t worrying about it. I hate that Simmons is in his second NBA season even though he didn’t play the entire first season.

Donovan has been thrown into a brutal NBA season and lifestyle that is wearing him out right now, whereas Simmons had a year to adjust to the lifestyle and learn a lot. If Simmons wasn’t in the running Donovan would have a realistic shot at winning it, unfortunately Simmons already had hype around his name and Donovan was a 13th pick that all the sudden became a star no one expected.

Yesterday on NBATV when Donovan said if he went into games with teams who didn’t pick him with something to prove that would be selfish of him, truly tells you all you need to know about him. I don’t think awards like this matter to him, he’s just not wired like that. I’m sure he’d enjoy it for sure and we as fans want to see Donovan succeed really bad. I’d put it at a 90% chance he doesn’t win the award at this point, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it. He would have to play perfect and run incredible stat lines beyond what he’s already done to overshadow the hype around Simmons.

I get this.. but Simmons is also good. It isn't all hype...

Yes, whatever league Australia has these days. He will be a top 5 player in that league in 5 years when teams give up on him because he cant shoot and they cant win with him.

Bill Gates might be broke in 5 years. I might be a multi billionaire in 5 years.
Anything is possible in life.

Mitchell is a poor man"s Derick Rose. I Don"t think DM will ever be a MVP like Rose.
Let's compare rookie numbers.
Rose: 16.8 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3.9 rpg and 47.5% fg

Mitchell: 19.1 ppg, 3.4 apg, 3.4 rpg and 44.2% fg

Now, granted at age 22, Rose was miles ahead of Mitchell, but calling Mitchell a poor man's DRose at this point is undervaluing him based off what we've seen. I don't know if Mitchell will ever be MVP and the odds are really low for every NBA pkayer, but dude doesn't stop when told that's impossible.