What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

Do you guys notice that whenever Donovan is brought up in the ROTY discussion within the media they always preface what they say about Donovan by making it clear that Ben Simmons is the front runner? The media has already made up their minds.

This is prob true of the major takes by the media, but there are many basketball analysts who talk about the race being wide open. The Nuggets TV crew basically rubbished Simmons and said Mitchell was way better. (I guess they can't get that 41 pt stuffing out of their minds)

Simmons stat line today (19/17/14 and 2 blocks) was pretty sick (and that was despite shooting 40% 6-15 from the field).

"Fifty-eight years ago today, Wilt Chamberlain set an NBA rookie record that still stands by scoring 58 points versus the Pistons."

Jazz focus for the remainder of the season should be to enable Mitchell to break this record.

Simmons will win. He had the early season hype, Philly is headed to the playoffs and Mitchell has underwhelmed in the rare national TV exposure Utah gets. And "exposure" is they key word; Dante plays for a losing team in a small market.

Simmons will win. He had the early season hype, Philly is headed to the playoffs and Mitchell has underwhelmed in the rare national TV exposure Utah gets. And "exposure" is they key word; Dante plays for a losing team in a small market.
He also plays on the slowest offense in the NBA which brings down Mitchell's stats. But even with that Mitchell will win.

If we are all honest Simmons is winning it. We all love Donovan, and are extremely happy to have Donovan. I truly don’t think the ROY award means much to Donovan and he isn’t worrying about it. I hate that Simmons is in his second NBA season even though he didn’t play the entire first season.

Donovan has been thrown into a brutal NBA season and lifestyle that is wearing him out right now, whereas Simmons had a year to adjust to the lifestyle and learn a lot. If Simmons wasn’t in the running Donovan would have a realistic shot at winning it, unfortunately Simmons already had hype around his name and Donovan was a 13th pick that all the sudden became a star no one expected.

Yesterday on NBATV when Donovan said if he went into games with teams who didn’t pick him with something to prove that would be selfish of him, truly tells you all you need to know about him. I don’t think awards like this matter to him, he’s just not wired like that. I’m sure he’d enjoy it for sure and we as fans want to see Donovan succeed really bad. I’d put it at a 90% chance he doesn’t win the award at this point, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it. He would have to play perfect and run incredible stat lines beyond what he’s already done to overshadow the hype around Simmons.

If we are all honest Simmons is winning it. We all love Donovan, and are extremely happy to have Donovan. I truly don’t think the ROY award means much to Donovan and he isn’t worrying about it. I hate that Simmons is in his second NBA season even though he didn’t play the entire first season.

Donovan has been thrown into a brutal NBA season and lifestyle that is wearing him out right now, whereas Simmons had a year to adjust to the lifestyle and learn a lot. If Simmons wasn’t in the running Donovan would have a realistic shot at winning it, unfortunately Simmons already had hype around his name and Donovan was a 13th pick that all the sudden became a star no one expected.

Yesterday on NBATV when Donovan said if he went into games with teams who didn’t pick him with something to prove that would be selfish of him, truly tells you all you need to know about him. I don’t think awards like this matter to him, he’s just not wired like that. I’m sure he’d enjoy it for sure and we as fans want to see Donovan succeed really bad. I’d put it at a 90% chance he doesn’t win the award at this point, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it. He would have to play perfect and run incredible stat lines beyond what he’s already done to overshadow the hype around Simmons.
This and if he does, it absolutely takes nothing away from Mitchell. Both are cornerstones and have super-star written all over them.

Last edited:
To be honest I haven't been all that impressed with Simmons. People said that he was the next Lebron coming out of college. He puts together a good game like he did the other night here and there. But he can't shoot. Reminds me of Michael Carter Williams when he won it. Donovan to me is much more exciting. But that might be because I am a Jazz homer.

To be honest I haven't been all that impressed with Simmons. People said that he was the next Lebron coming out of college. He puts together a good game like he did the other night here and there. But he can't shoot. Reminds me of Michael Carter Williams when he won it. Donovan to me is much more exciting. But that might be because I am a Jazz homer.
He is averaging 14 point 7 boards and 7 assists since his hot start in October/November. If he keeps that up and Mitchell keeps up his averages(22, 4, 4) that he has had in the last couple months I think Mitchells stats will be much better. His rebounding stats are also inflated, rebounding numbers are meh to me for guards. Its his teammates blocking out and positioning him to get boards, its just how they are running things to get him the ball faster and push the ball. Frankly he isnt nearly as good with defenses get set. They can just sag way off him.

Plus Mitchell has worse spacing around him, more pressure, and is the primary focus of other teams defense already which leads to double and even triple teams.

Last edited:
Mitchell has had bad game but he has not disappeared nearly as often as Simmons either. Mitchell has scored in single figures in only 7 games this year and 4 of them were in the first month. Simmons has had the same amount but they have all been lately.

Simmons is also a non factor in a lot of games late. Mitchell is the opposite. Donovan's best quarter in the 4th, Simmons best quarter is the 1st.

in 4th quarters Simmons has a -5.3 net rating (the only negative quarter for him), which is right where Mitchell shines with a net rating of +8.1.

I agree with everyone who makes points as to why Donovan should get it, I do to, but reality is he won’t. He won’t unless he blows everyone out of the water after the Allstar break. He’d have to average something like 25pts, 7 assists, and 5 rebounds and cut back on turnovers as well as have late game heroics to have a legitimate shot at overshadowing Simmons at this point. Even then I don’t know because as has been mentioned it seems the media has their minds made up. Donovan is the legitimate ROY, Simmons will win it as the redshirt ROY.

Love Donovan, I think he deserves it, but the decision seems to already be made. Tatum has dropped off, Kuzma is not really in the conversation like those two and if Simmons wasn’t in the convo Donovan would probably get it, but the media is obviously bias towards Simmons at this point.

Simmons is a great player, but he’s not near the next Lebron with his absolutly ugly shot. I have to laugh whenever someone is deemed the next Lebron. There will never be another Lebron. Lebron is a once in a lifetime player and I hate his lack of humility, but Lebron is amazing and anyone not just enjoying watching him is missing out on a once in a lifetime talent. Simmons is not the next LBJ, no one is.

He also plays on the slowest offense in the NBA which brings down Mitchell's stats. But even with that Mitchell will win.

For what it's worth, Utah was last in the 2016-2017 season, with 94.7 offensive possessions per game, but they are 26th this season, with 98.3 offensive possessions per game. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/possessions-per-game

While jumping from 30th to 26th doesn't sound like much, I think the 3.6 possessions/game is pretty substantial. Most teams are clustered in the 99-103 range, for what it's worth. Another 3.6 possessions/game increase next season (if they do that) would put the Jazz in the #12 spot.

He is averaging 14 point 7 boards and 7 assists since his hot start in October/November. If he keeps that up and Mitchell keeps up his averages(22, 4, 4) that he has had in the last couple months I think Mitchells stats will be much better. His rebounding stats are also inflated, rebounding numbers are meh to me for guards. Its his teammates blocking out and positioning him to get boards, its just how they are running things to get him the ball faster and push the ball. Frankly he isnt nearly as good with defenses get set. They can just sag way off him.

Plus Mitchell has worse spacing around him, more pressure, and is the primary focus of other teams defense already which leads to double and even triple teams.
If the Sixers are blocking out players so Simmons can rebound how is Embiid 6th in the league in RPG with 11, Saric averaging the same amount as Favors with 7 and Covington averaging 6?

Simmons is also top 20 in the NBA for three point shots contested per game.

We understand your love for DM...

But in all honesty Simmons is going to be a superstar. The game he played last night was just ridiculous, triple double in 21mins.

I’m all for being biased on occasions, but comparing Simmons to Carter-Williams is not fair.

I agree with everyone who makes points as to why Donovan should get it, I do to, but reality is he won’t. He won’t unless he blows everyone out of the water after the Allstar break. He’d have to average something like 25pts, 7 assists, and 5 rebounds and cut back on turnovers as well as have late game heroics to have a legitimate shot at overshadowing Simmons at this point. Even then I don’t know because as has been mentioned it seems the media has their minds made up. Donovan is the legitimate ROY, Simmons will win it as the redshirt ROY.

Love Donovan, I think he deserves it, but the decision seems to already be made. Tatum has dropped off, Kuzma is not really in the conversation like those two and if Simmons wasn’t in the convo Donovan would probably get it, but the media is obviously bias towards Simmons at this point.

Simmons is a great player, but he’s not near the next Lebron with his absolutly ugly shot. I have to laugh whenever someone is deemed the next Lebron. There will never be another Lebron. Lebron is a once in a lifetime player and I hate his lack of humility, but Lebron is amazing and anyone not just enjoying watching him is missing out on a once in a lifetime talent. Simmons is not the next LBJ, no one is.

No, He is not the next Lebron, but he is probably going to be
better than Lebron.

LeBron James Told Ben Simmons He Has 'Opportunity to Be Better Than Me'

https://syndication.bleacherreport....has-opportunity-to-be-better-than-me.amp.html

Simmons simply has a much higher ceiling than Mitchell as a player. Simmons" level is a Lebron type of player, while Mitchell"s level is probably similar to Derick Rose. There is no comparison. Simmons has a chance to be a top 5 player of all time. That is how good he is. He is a unicorn in the mold of Lebron, Giannis, Davis.

Simmons simply has much a higher ceiling than Mitchell as a player. Simmons" level is a Lebron type of player, while Mitchell"s level is probably similar to Derick Rose. There is no comparison. Simmons has a chance to be a top 5 player of all time. That is how good he is. He is a unicorn in the mold of Lebron, Giannis, Davis.

I think he is better now and deserves ROY if season ended today... I disagree on the long term. Boy can't shoot... like worse than Ricky Rubio can't shoot. Like people think he uses the wrong hand.

Giannis can survive and be an MVP candidate without a jumper, but Ben gonna have to figure that out. DM doesn't have a fatal flaw... he needs to improve for sure.

Rose didn't defend well and was never really a shooter. I don't think DM is as dynamic off the dribble.

Simmons simply has a much higher ceiling than Mitchell as a player. Simmons" level is a Lebron type of player, while Mitchell"s level is probably similar to Derick Rose. There is no comparison. Simmons has a chance to be a top 5 player of all time. That is how good he is. He is a unicorn in the mold of Lebron, Giannis, Davis.
Yeah, Ill take a healthy, smarter, better shooting DRose (MVP before injury) than the upside of Simmons which is just about maxed out since he cant shoot.

Simmons simply has much a higher ceiling than Mitchell as a player. Simmons" level is a Lebron type of player, while
Mitchell"s level is probably similar to Derick Rose. There is no comparison. Simmons has a chance to be a top 5 player of all time. That is how good he is. He is a unicorn in the mold of Lebron, Giannis, Davis.
I don’t want to steer this discussion to far away from Mitchell but people will realize just how good Lebron was after he’s gone. Simmons will be one of the best players to play while he’s in the league, I don’t see him as good as Lebron. The amount of hype behind Lebron when he was coming into the league was ridiculous, and he lived up to every bit of it. Simmons will be a top 5 player in the league during his career in the league, I don’t see him as a top 5 player of all time. Everyone wants to lump guys into that greatest 5 or 10 of all time list but there’s only so many spots in that list. Lebron is solidified in that top 5 list already and quite possibly the greatest all around player ever regardless of his legacy vs. MJs. Simmons is not going to eclipse Lebron or MJ and I don’t even think he will be close.

I agree with you Mitchell will not be as good as Simmons in his career, Mitchell will be better than Derrick Rose though. I wouldn’t ever bet against Mitchell though ether.