What's new

Mitt Romney, Tax Returns, and the Idle Rich

JazzGal

Contributor
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
I haven't been paying much attention lately to the Presidential campaign (getting burned out already), but I started hearing that Romney was being pressured to release his tax returns. I've been reading some of the comments people have been making about the information on his returns that were just released, and I am amazed at how angry people are about his wealth. I'm confused.

Almost every president in the past century has been wealthy, and in this day and age it is nearly impossible to mount a presidential campaign without significant amounts of money in your own pockets and those with whom you associate. Why does Romney's wealth upset people? I was reading comments about how he is not fit to head the country because he hasn't had to struggle the same as an unemployed single mother. Say what? When did being successful mean that you are not able to run a country? Call me crazy, but I would prefer a president who knows how to be successful.

People seem to be confused about the tax rate he is paying. Mitt is not employed and is paying taxes on investments. Duh, of course that is at a lower rate than employment earnings.

Mitt has given a lot of money to the LDS Church and to charity. Why does that upset people? Don't we expect the wealthy among us to help those that aren't?

I'm not an avid Romney fan, but I don't understand the current resentment. What am I missing?

You're missing a lot of sleep, for starters. Secondly, it seems you may have missed the Ron Paul boat. No worries though, we'll come back and pick you up.

I LOVE seeing you start new threads, and them there's the facts.

I haven't missed any boats yet since I haven't decided anything about the election, voting wise. It's the worst thing about being independent - no one represents me well. Huntsman was my choice, but that's gone bye-bye.

Haven't missed any sleep yet - never go to bed until about 2 am. You, sir, on the other hand . . .

It's nothing but a fake "gotcha" moment that opponents ride in the media for a couple of weeks - happens every election cycle.

A candidate refuses to release something - school records (Bush), birth certificate (Obama), tax records (Romney), financial records (Clinton), military records (Kerry and Bush), etc.

The opponent questions why - implies the candidate is hiding something. Then opponent suggests why they're hiding it. Opponent implies conspiracy. Candidate releases records and either the story ends there or it morphs into another conspiracy.

Romney's tax rates are significant symbollically, not personally. After Buffet cam out and siad capital gains tax rates should be raised, Romney is a symbol of that who's running for President. I agree making money off money is not a personal flaw.

What does it take to get rich? It seems like it takes a certain person to get to the top, and it usually just isn't the hardest worker.
When being rich is your primary goal that says something about you. Will you take any of that to the afterlife?
No, but you will take your personality, and what you did to others.

With that being said I don't hate someone just because they are rich. I dislike Romney because he flip flopped on moral issues to get elected, and is doing it again.
His moral values change according to whose votes he is trying to get. I don't find him warm, likeable, or with any real plans that will change this country for the better.

Jazzgal you are on the best posters on this site. Your respect for other's opinions in inspiring. I hope you respect mine as I do yours.
Whatever happens this country is in trouble if we don't get past the current state of the country.
Anyone running for president is in love with himself(or herself), and that goes for the people I like too. Maybe when we're at our lowest as a nation we will come together, and
realize we can do anything if we work together.

The problem I have with Romney is that he seems very out of touch with common man or woman and his flip flopping. Dont believe he is doing it? Then just go check out some old videos on him on youtube.

Also what I dont get is that somehow investing and wallstreet types have become more valued than workers. How is it that the common working man who gives everything he's got is taxed at twice the rate of these people who have more than they will ever need. Im not necessarily advocating that investors get taxed to death because I understand that they are taking risks. But Cmon, how is that fair that someone who is struggling to make it has to pay a higher percentage than those people who arent doing anything labor intensive, and dont even need all that money. And workers are taking risks themselves. Such as injury risks and the risks of never living full filling lives.

I guess what Im getting at is that the labor force is mostly what makes the world go around. And the others are just a bunch of leaches. And yet they are still taxed at a lower rate. It just doesnt make sense to me.

I guess what Im getting at is that the labor force is mostly what makes the world go around. And the others are just a bunch of leaches. And yet they are still taxed at a lower rate. It just doesnt make sense to me.

I don't want to take anything away from laborers, but the people who come up with an idea, get the finances together to make it happen and then successfully manage the business are not leaches. Without that very critical part there would be no work to be done, thus no jobs or workers. Don't put the cart before the horse.

There's no question that the tax laws in this country could use an overhaul. Just not sure why this is Romney's fault.

If people disagree with Romney's views or how often he changes them or that he doesn't inspire them or whatever, that's great. I understand that and agree with some of it. I don't understand the feeling that someone rich and successful is out of touch with people and cannot make a good president. Mitt has spent many years in unpaid leadership positions in the LDS Church that have required him to deal with the poor, sick, unfortunate people in his jurisidiction and do what he can to help them make their lives better. Seems like he has a lot of experience with the plight of the "common working man."

I haven't missed any boats yet since I haven't decided anything about the election, voting wise. It's the worst thing about being independent - no one represents me well. Huntsman was my choice, but that's gone bye-bye.

Haven't missed any sleep yet - never go to bed until about 2 am. You, sir, on the other hand . . .

Probably because he has a life.

There's no question that the tax laws in this country could use an overhaul. Just not sure why this is Romney's fault.

If people disagree with Romney's views or how often he changes them or that he doesn't inspire them or whatever, that's great. I understand that and agree with some of it. I don't understand the feeling that someone rich and successful is out of touch with people and cannot make a good president. Mitt has spent many years in unpaid leadership positions in the LDS Church that have required him to deal with the poor, sick, unfortunate people in his jurisidiction and do what he can to help them make their lives better. Seems like he has a lot of experience with the plight of the "common working man."

Nobody said that the tax "rules" (not laws under the constitution), were Romney's fault.
But do you see him bringing up the important issues of why our economy sucks? No.
The fact that the Federal Reserve has no oversight, the IRS doing whatever it wants, and of course our government programs showing more help for the rich then they ever did for mom and pop.
Either Romney has no grasp on what drives an economy, or he thinks he can tell you a fib on what will create more jobs.
Mitt Romney is not the answer, because he does not raise any important questions about anything. Complete "status quo" candidate.

I understand that we need job creators and innovators. But to take damn near half of what the worker makes when it is hard enough to make it on a workers salary is b.s.

There is always talk about how people should appreciate the people who create jobs. Well what about the people who do those jobs. It works both way you know. Without a work force then that job creators idea is just an idea. And there is no way they can get rich. There just has to be balance. And right now the balance is out of wack. Inflation just keeps going up, wages have stayed stagnant, and the rich are always being rewarded with more tax breaks. While the middle class is being wiped out. I am a skilled laborer, that works for a civil engineering firm and I make 21 an hour and that should be good money. I dont have any kids so I pay out the *** in taxes. And it still isnt enough. Its hard as hell to make it these days. Im getting sick of the inflation. Its never enough. It seems as though the only way to get anywhere is to own your own business. Which isnt easy to get started. And not everybody can own a business.

I think Romney could care less about people like me. Thats why I support Ron Paul. He advocates zero income tax. Thats how it should be.

I understand that we need job creators and innovators. But to take damn near half of what the worker makes when it is hard enough to make it on a workers salary is b.s.

There is always talk about how people should appreciate the people who create jobs. Well what about the people who do those jobs. It works both way you know. Without a work force then that job creators idea is just an idea. And there is no way they can get rich. There just has to be balance. And right now the balance is out of wack. Inflation just keeps going up, wages have stayed stagnant, and the rich are always being rewarded with more tax breaks. While the middle class is being wiped out. I am a skilled laborer, that works for a civil engineering firm and I make 21 an hour and that should be good money. I dont have any kids so I pay out the *** in taxes. And it still isnt enough. Its hard as hell to make it these days. Im getting sick of the inflation. Its never enough. It seems as though the only way to get anywhere is to own your own business. Which isnt easy to get started. And not everybody can own a business.

I think Romney could care less about people like me. Thats why I support Ron Paul. He advocates zero income tax. Thats how it should be.

I disagree taxes have their place. There are some legitimate expenses that we as a society have. Such as road maintenance and border security

I disagree taxes have their place. There are some legitimate expenses that we as a society have. Such as road maintenance and border security
Road maintenance is funded by gas taxes-but unfortunately politicians often take that money and spend it elsewhere instead. Income tax does not cover roads and never has.

Income tax is not the only way to collect taxes.

Dont forget policing the world and endless wars. Or extravagant parties for poloticians. Or government bureaucracies.

Im willing to pay some taxes, just not more than my fair share

How about a flat tax system. 10 percent for workers, 20 percent for businesses. That would eliminate the lower half and the upper half from getting away with not paying any.

Income tax is not the only way to collect taxes.

Correct. The government(s) will find a way to compensate for no income tax by a new tax or increased taxes, such as sales tax.

@Mr. McGibblets taxes have their specific intended use, yes, but I seriously doubt that that is all they are used for. Look at how congress raids trust funds and income sources to pay for other projects all the time. Such as the Social Security trust fund. It gets "raided" all the time. I do not trust D.C. with a potato gun much less to keep all that straight.

Seriously will people quit complaining about taxes. There are many beneficial services that your and my taxes go to not just roads and boarder patrol. This is just crazy look we have peace officers, fireman, those who serve in the armed forces, teachers, helping to allow senior citizens an ability to quite working before they die, helping to curve the endless poverty that is created by a capitalist system, and the list goes on. This is so annoying acting like all of these beneficial programs are hurting out country. The problems lie with our wages are stagnant while the amount of profit our bosses are making is growing exponentially. Do you understand the poor are not overpaying for items leading to inflation. Banks are leveraging more and more to make money not off of the poor. Those who gave many people mortgages with variable rates that got many in homes they couldn't afford made their money. They aren't stuck in a loan that is impossible to pay. The list goes on and on don't act like giving taxes back to those who are poor is going to change the game the deck is stacked against the middle class and the poor.

Seriously will people quit complaining about taxes. There are many beneficial services that your and my taxes go to not just roads and boarder patrol. This is just crazy look we have peace officers, fireman, those who serve in the armed forces, teachers, helping to allow senior citizens an ability to quite working before they die, helping to curve the endless poverty that is created by a capitalist system, and the list goes on. This is so annoying acting like all of these beneficial programs are hurting out country. The problems lie with our wages are stagnant while the amount of profit our bosses are making is growing exponentially. Do you understand the poor are not overpaying for items leading to inflation. Banks are leveraging more and more to make money not off of the poor. Those who gave many people mortgages with variable rates that got many in homes they couldn't afford made their money. They aren't stuck in a loan that is impossible to pay. The list goes on and on don't act like giving taxes back to those who are poor is going to change the game the deck is stacked against the middle class and the poor.

Does poverty mean people can only afford basic cable and a used Escalade? Oh the humanity, this inhumane capitalistic system must be stopped!